• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

taylorspug

[project] Silver 1.9 Gti 16v Project (now Gti-6)

Paul_13

My mate put wire wool in his exhaust for the emissions test. Passed no problem :lol:

taylorspug
Yeah it should be fine, wire wool is wire wool at the end of the day!

Good stuff! James reckons it shouldn't be too busy either, I've heard a lot of people are going in the next 2 weeks so hopefully we'll be there after the surge. :lol:

Good stuff, should give us some elbow room then hopefully! :huh:

taylorspug

A few photos from Nurburgring the other weekend:

9016_135413136276_511796276_2984703.jpg

DSC_8469.jpg

9431_125450477458_500992458_2267185.jpg

The car ran extremely well the entire time i was there (3 days). Used no oil or water, i didnt have to take a spanner to it in fact!

A few issues were highlighted though. Firstly my gay standard non PAS GTI steering rack started to become a real pain when out on track, so im swapping this for a WMMS job, when i finally get together the money to pay for it. :lol:

Also the fuel surge with less than half a tank of fuel was horrific. I could run a swirl pot etc to cure the problem, but i think in this case thats complicating things for no reason. So im going to get some tank foam and try that instead. If it works it will be an extremely neat, lighter and less complicated solution. The only small downside will be a slight drop in the cars range on a full tank.

Lastly was the brakes. I was having some overheating issues which i believe is down to the pads. The pedal remained firm at all times, but went wooden and failed to stop the car! :o Ive not put a set of pads in it for quite a while so this is going to be the way forward i think. Im going to give Yellowstuffs a go, ive heard some good things and they are good value too. Also need to find out exactly what pads mine are, the Compbrake calipers arent listed anywhere!

The rear brakes are doing bugger all, so i may look at removing the rear compensators as a next step.

Oh actually the only small problem i had on the way home was my TPS started showing signs of death. Got me home no problem though! So i had a rummage around the workshop the next day and found a Ford TPS that fitted in the right position on the Jenvey spindles, and wires up to a standard 3 pin timer plug. Would have been a better bet using this in the first place! Anyway whipped the laptop out and calibrated it into the Emerald- job done. The car certainly idles better from cold now, and seems a bit more lively from lower in the rev range. So i suspect the old TPS was on its way out from day one.

Edited by taylorspug

SurGie
Small update.

Car is all fine, no real problems to report other than the offside driveshaft starting to make a nasty noise. Ive just been enjoying it really, which makes these types of threads a bit boring!

Ive fitted one of these though:

DSC00064.jpg

Very nicely made piece of kit, noticed the difference too, it got rid of a small flat spot in the mid range of the map, obviously as the engine was doing less work to spin up. Also means i cant finally time the engine up using the bottom pulley, without having to fanny about with an 8v one!

Car will be getting a rest for a couple of weeks now, due to an impending German adventure with certain forum members...

WHat is this part ?

taylorspug

Alloy lower crank pulley. Rich W from the 306 forum sells them on ebay. Lighter than the standard item which makes a noticeable difference in how quick the engine spins up. Also doesnt have the silly rubber damper, so the timing hole is always in the right place. :)

taylorspug

I had a phone call from Torque Of The Devil this morning booking me in to touch the map up on this next week, so there will be graphs on the way soon. Ive yet to get it properly mapped, mainly because the car ran and drove so good on the map supplied with the ECU (it wasnt a base map either). But its a bit naughty running it like this really, so me and a mate decided to go up together as he needs Chris to have a play with his Motec equipped Evo VI (again!).

Will be interesting to see the figures, ive studied a few graphs from TOTD, and their rollers seem extremely accurate, maybe even a touch on the low side of things. So im not expecting to be flattered. The car is quick for what it is, (as the others from our 'ring trip can testify!) but i think there is more to be had in the mid range as its quite flat until around 5k at the moment, then all hell breaks loose which is suprising for a std cam '6 engine. Time will tell.

On a lighter note, me and Maxi had an unbelieveably good drive down the local back roads over the beacon the other night. Easily the best time we have been out together, we were grinning like cheshire cats when we got home! Anyone standing at the top of Ditchling beacon must have thought the world was about to end! Im starting to think my car is a bit wasted on standard type road tyres, so expect to see it wearing a set with '888' on the sidewalls soon. End of the day it really only gets used on dry weekend days now, so thats all the justification i need to buy some. :wacko:

welshpug

Have you ever played with the cam timing on them Dan?

I noticed a BIG improvement in mid range smoothness, i.e loss of a "kick" but more urgency by advancing the inlet cam a little bit, probably only 2 degrees.

James_R

Why stop at 888's 048's FTW :blush:

SurGie
Alloy lower crank pulley. Rich W from the 306 forum sells them on ebay. Lighter than the standard item which makes a noticeable difference in how quick the engine spins up. Also doesnt have the silly rubber damper, so the timing hole is always in the right place. :blush:

Cheers for the info, i have now ordered one of these from Rich W :)

taylorspug
Have you ever played with the cam timing on them Dan?

I noticed a BIG improvement in mid range smoothness, i.e loss of a "kick" but more urgency by advancing the inlet cam a little bit, probably only 2 degrees.

Ive actually gone the other way with my car and retarded the inlet a few degrees. This has probably lost me some of my mid range, but i prefer it like this in a 205 as it makes the engine characteristics much nicer (ie more like an MI), and the mid range i dont think is quite as important due to the lack of weight compared to, say, a 306. Anyway ive not changed it since the bodies went on, as i spent a couple of weeks fiddling with it when i originally GTI6'd the car 18 months ago. It was also quicker this way over my local measured distance than any of the other inlet angles i tried. I think my current 'issue' if you want to call it that is purely down to lack of mapping on this engine.

Why stop at 888's 048's FTW :lol:

Money James, a boring excuse i know but a very valid one!

Cheers for the info, i have now ordered one of these from Rich W ;)

No problems. :ph34r:

welshpug

I found I had to adjust my driving of it quite a bit after playing with the cam, had to remember that the power peaked right where pug intended (6500) and there wasn't any point at all revving it 900 RPM past that point to the limiter ;)

once I got past that and shifted on time it's no slower at all, quicker if anything as you're never waiting for it to come on cam...

I don't have it in a 306, so the weight isnt as much an argument, though it is still heavier than a 205.

Edited by welshpug

taylorspug

Thats the thing i specifically didnt like the lack of top end grunt that the advanced inlet gives. I just cant get on with engines like that, especially in fun cars like my 205, i prefer to rev it out a bit more and deal with any slight knock off in performance lower down the range.

Mine didnt seem to lose any mid range when it was running on standard management though, it would still pull cleanly uphill at 2k in 5th, with 3 people on board! Guess its just different engines behaving different ways, plus its also worth noting ive got a lightened flywheel and crank pulley, plus no AC or PAS. Small things but they all add up to a big difference over standard. ;)

maxi

We are off to see Chris in the morning, taking my SLR so I will post up some shots of it on the rollers.

Maxi

James_R
<_< Look forward to seeing the numbers certainly goes well enough

taylorspug

As Maxi has said its RR time in the morning. Ive made a few slight adjustments this week, specifically to my trumpets as the filter started touching them via the bonnet after fitting a PTFE inlet! Got my mate Dan at Auto Custom Engineering (small plug for best mates fabrication and restoration business there!) to tig the trumpets back on the flanges after id cut the welds away and reangled them slightly. Its only gained around 8mm on each trumpet, but combined with taking a small piece of the inner ribbing off of the bonnet so its not touching the filter, ive now got plenty of space for it all. :lol:

Dropped the oil and changed the filter earlier too.

On a side note it was amazing the difference in performance felt with the trumpets being shrouded by the filter. The car noticeably lacked top end punch and even the induction note changed. Once the trumpets mods were carried out normal service has resumed! I also cant believe how much difference the PTFE inlet makes to the manifold temperature. Before the inlet would literally be as hot as the cylinder head, and therefore barely touch-able. Now you can pretty much stick your hand straight on it after stopping the engine. Should help with the horrific heat soak when sitting in traffic, if nothing else...

Edited by taylorspug

DrSarty

Interesting about the PTFE gasket; they earn mixed reviews.

What supplier did you use please Dan, and are they available for Mi16 as well as GTI6 (not that there's a lot of difference in inlet design)?

What thickness is it and how much are they please?

I also have some blanks of a special, inert material that I got some time ago to experiment with to achieve the same goal, so you've reminded me to try it out. If my idea works I'll be able to do a group buy for everyone.

Good luck @ TOTD. :lol:

SurGie

TOTD not defined yet in the urban dictionary, please elaborate Dr S :lol:

DrSarty
TOTD not defined yet in the urban dictionary, please elaborate Dr S :lol:

Torque of the Devil. A tuning business that Dan and Maxi rate highly.

andyjstone
On a side note it was amazing the difference in performance felt with the trumpets being shrouded by the filter. The car noticeably lacked top end punch and even the induction note changed. Once the trumpets mods were carried out normal service has resumed! I also cant believe how much difference the PTFE inlet makes to the manifold temperature. Before the inlet would literally be as hot as the cylinder head, and therefore barely touch-able. Now you can pretty much stick your hand straight on it after stopping the engine. Should help with the horrific heat soak when sitting in traffic, if nothing else...

I had mine on the RR at TOTD a month or so back and taking the filter off added 7BHP to the power - I have a custom ITG filter, but the trumpets were very close to the front. I've since put on shorter trumpets, but have yet to take it back to check if it's made a difference.

welshpug

Phillip M aka Rippthrough does a PTFE gasket for the 16V xu, one gasket fits all.

GLPoomobile

Rich, I'm using a PTFE gasket on my MI.

Note to all: probably a completely obvious point, but one that slipped under the radar for me at the time - you'll probably need to get longer bolts for the inlet manifold if using a thicker PTFE gasket.

DrSarty

You say probably Steve. Do you or don't you? (need longer bolts)

How thick is the PTFE gasket and out of interest how much was it please?

My alternative material blanks are 3mm or 6mm. 6mm I can imagine is a definite for longer bolts.

GLPoomobile

Well yeah, I needed longer bolts, hence me raising the point. When I typed that, I had it in the back of my mind that perhaps it would depend on the engine in question, which is a bit spazzy of me, as I suppose that since my bolts were too short with the PTFE gasket in place then the same should go for anyone else :P

IIRC mine is a 3mm job. Can't remember the price but don't think it was terribly expensive. Think I got it from eBay, possibly even from a member on here. Might even have been Rippthrough :P

maxi

Well we are back...... A fantastic day, always good to go up and have a chin wag with Chris, I really wouldnt trust ANYONE else to map any of my cars.

First up was a mate of ours Evo6, slight tweek was made to the map and came out with 383BHP@1.5BAR. The turbo is tits out at that so its a bigger blower or put up with a K plate carbon black 205 up his chuffer!!

As for Dan, well, the car was eventually strapped on the rollers after a lengthy delay. We all know it goes mentally well for a std engine, even when it was on std management so the result didnt really come as a suprise. As for the result................................................well, im sure Mr taylor will be along to elaborate! :D

I took my SLR camera but didnt get any pics, was too involved and to be honest completely forgot!

Anyway, Dan, I think this lot need putting out of their misery.

Maxi

Galifrey
Anyway, Dan, I think this lot need putting out of their misery.

Maxi

Indeed