• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

[Body_Work] Rust Rust And More Rust!

Telf

Heres the rear pre bought rear bumper bracket/panel tacked into place- both sides have needed replacement:

post-21474-0-82825300-1492811875_thumb.jpg

Telf

I've been thinking about the cabin rebuild today. After a bit of Google searching I can't find a suitable replacement for the soundproofing/underlay beneath the carpet. Does anybody have any pointers please?

Tom Fenton

I would remove and fit a new sill. That's been bodged before as can be seen by the amount of filler.

Telf

that's probably what will happen- id like to keep the car as original as possible- waiting the outcome on Monday!

Gaz205

that's probably what will happen- id like to keep the car as original as possible- waiting the outcome on Monday!

At least you'll know what's what for future reference and if it's done right will be worry free for the next decade or so.

Telf

So Ive decided to buy a sill and just replace the rotten part in an attempt to save as much of the car as possible- and also not to disturb good metal.

Sill is on order and the inner sill has been welded with fresh metal

post-21474-0-75850900-1493478944_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-06728600-1493478947_thumb.jpg

Telf

Whilst the carpets out I thought Id give it a clean. Fairy liquid, hot water and a scrubbing brush seem to have worked a treat.

Surprised how much dirt came out and how quickly it dried!

post-21474-0-94225600-1493479127_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-18637300-1493479132_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-94824900-1493479134_thumb.jpg

Telf

Finally a week after ordering a new sill has arrived!

Telf

Some progress over this week, The sill is now on and the rear bumper hangers are fitted.

The underside is now being prepped for a fresh coat of paint and stone chipping.

Its being finished in the factory red rather than the horrendous black that was there. Hoping to have 1/2 the underneath done by the end of next week then spinning it round and starting on the front half and the rotten scuttle panel..

Telf

So heres the sill in and almost ready to paint, just the rotten rear 1/3rd removed in an effort to keep as much of the car as possible original.

post-21474-0-59077700-1495296838_thumb.jpg

Telf

And heres the rear 1/2 of the underside stripped back with a bit of derusting to do prior to painting

post-21474-0-23462600-1495296960_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-40041900-1495296981_thumb.jpg

Telf

Ive been offered 2 original unused GTI wings today for £170 each - does that seem a reasonable figure or is it a little high?

welshpug

:wacko:

was the guy wearing this? :ph34r:

Telf

I thought maybe a little over priced - but I cant find any anywhere else!

jackherer

They were about £130 each from Peugeot when they were still available.

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong Welshpug but if £170 is too high what is a new original Peugeot GTI wing worth? Less than the dealer RRP?

Anthony

The question is whether they're OE or pattern wings - the former I would say is certainly worth that, the later, possibly not (although if not available new anywhere, it's a case of supply and demand)

Gaz205

What part of the wing is rusty?

Telf

They aren't rusty they are both creased 1/2 way along from when I removed them

jackherer

The question is whether they're OE or pattern wings - the former I would say is certainly worth that, the later, possibly not (although if not available new anywhere, it's a case of supply and demand)

I was assuming "original" meant genuine...?

Gaz205

They aren't rusty they are both creased 1/2 way along from when I removed them

Understood, quite tricky then. I guess you have a tough decision to make as there aren't many for sale and you'll want your car finishing

steve@cornwall

Have you asked the body guy if yours are saveable? It's amazing what an old-school panel beater can acheive

Edited by steve@cornwall

Telf

They said they can fix them but at a cost. As I am intending on a full respray I can't decide if to repair or replace

welshpug

why waate good wings for a small crease, I'd understand if they were rotten, but they very rarely are.

Telf

The main factor here is wanting all the panels to be as perfect as possible prior to a respray in Jan next year.

I looking to replace the wings, doors and bonnet as they are all dinked rippled or creased through age. As a repaint is in the region of 3K Ill be damned if I want to paint over less than straight body work. Whilst I have a desire to maintain as much of the car original as possible the fact is after 250K that thin French metal is very tired indeed!

Gaz205

I've had a full panel off respray on mine and the amount of work he did on the bonnet and doors and even quarters To remove dents and ripples was immense.

It's not got a new coat of paint and the Dam thing is still full of dents! I guess it comes down to how keen an eye and skill they have but maybe the metal work will never be perfect? At the start of my work I had aspirations of a straight as a die 205 in every respect, in reality I don't think you'll ever achieve it with 30 year old panels.

I'm happy with the car and if I want a dent less repair wizard to try and finish it off one day I'll dig deep and pay for it. I got what I paid for and with a bill of under 50% of what you are quoting I cannot expect perfection.

If it were me personally I would have your wings repaired as we tried an alien to my car wing on (supposedly a pug wing) and it was a git to line up. So repaired rust on mine instead with cuts from a copied part.