• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

[Body_Work] Rust Rust And More Rust!

Tom Fenton

That's one way and does work well, I've done it myself, but seems a shame to start welding and grinding your nice powdercoated rod. I'm sure when this cropped up recently Farmer said he had some replacement nylon cups? Worth asking him anyway.

• Thanks 1

farmer

Ones in the post box now for him 

• Thanks 1

Telf

Gear rod fixed with nylon insert

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1553763792834.jpg_1553763797708.jpeg

Telf

And the build continues.. most of the electrics installed, doors 70% built and lights fitted . Probably some fettling to get them nicely aligned but still fitted.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1553768557318.jpg_1553768559861.jpeg

• Like 1

jackherer
15 minutes ago, Telf said:

Gear rod fixed with nylon insert

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1553763792834.jpg_1553763797708.jpeg

In that case you now need the pin to hold it in place.

Telf

Won't any thin pin do the trick?

jackherer

Possibly but they are very prone to coming loose at the best of times so I'd use the correct part. I may have one but it's going to be hard to find...

You really need a new nyloc nut on it too.

welshpug

its an R clip not a pin.

welshpug

definitely use a fresh Nyloc as well as some decent washers top and bottom.

Telf

nightmare day today- bloody rods for the door locks are all knackered and caused me a real headache, added to the fact the plastic body on the back of the drivers door lock keeps detaching- building doors sucks!

Philpooma

Sounds fantastic, was that the first start up?

Telf
7 hours ago, Philpooma said:

Well we got a few starts last weekend but it wouldn't idle. Jackherer came back on Saturday and plugged back into the ECU and tweeked a few settings. It then started running but at 3500rpm. 

Went for the obvious - screw I'm the side of the plenum chamber thinking it was letting in unmetered air. Sealed it up but still no change.

Kieran then noticed the port on the bottom of the plenum chamber open to air. I'd forgotten about it. I think it normally feeds the SAD which I no longer have as the cold start will be ECU controlled. Taped that up and voilà! She runs.

So yeah essentially it was the first start( well second as the camera failed to save the first attempt).

Pretty pleased. Now to chop back into the wiring and fit the immobilizer.

Telf

Apart from starting the car the other news from the build is

Front brakes finished and plastics painted.

I noticed the plastics are available from the Peugeot museum but at £808 for a set it's asking alot at this stage. So I'll see if this plastic paint works ..

Also bought a new set of red strips for the trim.

received_281948829387483.jpeg

Telf

Painted the handles with plastic paint. Came up quite nice. I had a hell of a time fitting these. Tried to insert them from the back ... It turns out they fit from the outside.. who knew!

received_2080985485289403.jpeg

Callum
12 hours ago, Telf said:

Apart from starting the car the other news from the build is

Front brakes finished and plastics painted.

I noticed the plastics are available from the Peugeot museum but at £808 for a set it's asking alot at this stage. So I'll see if this plastic paint works ..

Also bought a new set of red strips for the trim.

received_281948829387483.jpeg

What colour have you done yours? I painted mine black because it thought it looked better but having second thoughts now, I used upol plastx

Telf

It's anthracite. I had it colour matched to a new rear boot panel that I bought from the Peugeot museum

Telf

New red trim strips arrive today. Should look good once fitted. In other news I finally got the door motors and glass in after much head scratching, swearing and frustration. I spent the best part of 3 hours trying to fit the regulator assembly 180degress out. Then another hour or so wondering why I couldn't get the motors to power up. Turns out I'd connected a plug incorrectly and managed to not connect the earth plug under the steering column.

It had hidden itself away inside the door conduit until a mate walked over and said you might want to fit this..

Edited by Telf

Richie-Van-GTi

All looks sterling work so far Paul, this thread is keeping me inspired with my own resto job. Unlikely to be to the same high standard though!! Great to hear it wont be a show queen either when done.

• Thanks 1

Telf

It definitely won't be a show queen.  Set about the rear brakes today. Ideally I would have put all the pipes in before the rear beam but I was missing some of the brackets. I couldn't face dropping the beam and cracked on.

Anyway fitting the home made bracket between the top of the Flexi and the hose from the compensator probed to be a total pig. I've now completed one side and elected to use a rigid line right up to the caliper as can be seen in the photo.  I'm a little concerned if this is ok as the caliper does move left to right on the sliders . 

As far as I can tell other folk have done this and had no problems

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1554462030787.jpg_1554462033163.jpeg

Edited by Telf

jackherer
3 minutes ago, Telf said:

I'm a little concerned if this is ok as the caliper does move left to right on the sliders . 

As far as I can tell other folk have done this and had no problems

It's how Peugeot did it on later models.

This is a 306 GTI6, you can just about see the original factory pipe:

piston2.jpg.8ea3d6739dd11549f4caabee8381c9e1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Richie-Van-GTi

Do you still have a flexi around the tube ?

jackherer
5 minutes ago, Richie-Van-GTi said:

Do you still have a flexi around the tube ?

3 hours ago, Telf said:

fitting the home made bracket between the top of the Flexi and the hose from the compensator probed to be a total pig.

:)