Jump to content
  • Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

    Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

Recommended Posts

welshpug

contemplated building a bitsa hybrid alloy blocked 16v XU for it, from a pile of parts I already have, but it needs much sparky stick action first, which isn't my thing :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simes

Went to drive it and then found fuel leaking out under the bonnet. Luckily my daughter saw it leaking.

Cancelled trip out.

Found leak, braided hose split between rail and regulator.

Had spare hose and dash fittings and made a new one up.

Perfect.

Drove it later, had to avoid someone driving at me on a lane. Ran over a branch which has now put a smear and a small dent in the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simes

Passed it's MOT - 800 miles since the last one.

Then spat it's coolant out whilst the tracking was about to be done.

Got home and fan switch has corroded and partly broken - need a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
changingman

Does what I plan to do to my 205 today count cos if so I intend to put it up on ramps and clean the engine off to see where the oil leak is , I think it's the sump gasket as the is a line of oil from left to right rather than a puddle, been told it's the main oil seal but I'm nut sure! !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steve@cornwall

Re set timing, valve and ignition. quieter, smoother and quicker now, without the annoying linking. Also has dramatically reduced the vibration from the solid rubber lower engine mount and it runs cooler

I rewarded this good behaviour by loading it with crap to take to the dump. Sorry, now have to call it the recycling centre, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
changingman

Cleaned the sump and tightened every single sump bolt which were finger tight and have potentially cured what I was lead to believe was a rear main oil seal leak, saving me a shed load of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
barneys66

Parked it on the West Suffolk Motor Club stand at the massive Cars on the Green show in Bury today, helping promote the club.

 

Flip it was hot..

 

IMG_20170618_151533_zps3ibexjns.jpg

 

IMG_20170618_151425_zpsdfg87z7w.jpg

 

IMG_20170618_151442_zpskxvycp4b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamPug

Completed and 880 mile round trip to the south west of England in my Mardi Gras. It performed faultlessly ????

1E08AC6A-556E-44C2-8578-D71DE2ACBE46.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steve@cornwall

FINALLY finished the coolant plumbing on the CTI. Once again prepping the GTi bonnet for another painting lesson!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simes

Had the tracking done and had a screw removed from a tyre etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
changingman

Filled it with oil and coolant, checked for leaks, put new badges on, torqued up the sub frame bolts, washed it with hand wipes, emptied all the crap out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hoodygoodwood

Took the wifes 306 cabrio for its MOT and it failed on low handbrake effort and rear footbrake effort . The handbrake cables are ancient so I have ordered a new pair , discs and pads look ok , calipers both have broken off bleed screws so I might drill them out and retap the holes then clean and rebuild with a pair of Biggred repair kits I have had sitting around for ages . That leaves the dreaded load compensator to replace , there seem to be a few different types and prices on Ebay vary from £40 through £130 from Neat to a dealer with a sense of humour at £999 !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
welshpug

i doubt you actually need to replace it, just lube the thing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anthony

Not my 205, but one that I'm sorting out a few bits on for a forum member...

 

DSC_0670.resized.jpg

 

That fuel hose passed an MOT last month a few days before he bought the car. Thankfully he'd had it delivered to me on a flatbed due to a noisy overdue cambelt and hadn't attempted to drive it, as that was an inferno waiting to happen :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
welshpug

carb hose?

 

 

even good quality injection hose is getting really hard to find these days :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anthony

Suspect it's more the usual issue with sub-standard fuel hose and modern fuel containing ethanol - the vapour seeps through the hose, drying it out and causes cracking. It's really scary how quickly some of it deteriorates and fails, bordering on a service item FFS.

 

I've replaced it all with proper Cohline 2240 fuel hose which seems to get good reviews regarding longevity, is bio/ethanol compatible and rated for injection use (10 bar working pressure, 50 bar burst). Time will tell how good or otherwise it is of course.

 

Obviously something like PTFE/teflon lined hose is better, but as you know works out pretty expensive once you've factored in all the unions and adapting the fuel rail for the right fittings etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jackherer

I recently bought a fuel pressure gauge that came with some short lengths of hose for adapting it into the fuel rail. I fitted it then took my car to Emerald about a month later and when I got there the short length of hose was already cracking! It's the first thing they check now so he spotted it straight away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dobboy

Mines is beginning to crack too. Could it just be the other sheath that cracks and the main tube is actually ok?

 

I thought about braided stuff but dismissed the idea as I thought the braid would hide the actual condition of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anthony

No, I cut open the above hose and it was showing evidence of cracking/perishing internally as well. As I said, that was an inferno waiting to happen.

 

If yours cracking/perishing then replace it ASAP - especially if it's the pressurised (feed) side of the circuit. After all, some quality replacement hose is a damned sight cheaper than the potential cost of not doing so...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dobboy

I hear you Anthony. Mines is nothing as bad as the pic you posted, but there is hairline cracks. I'm planning on doing the fuel lines so I'll replace the flex's at same time.

 

I'm insured now anyway with agreed value ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Fenton

Laser green standard 205 "overheating" sorted, new thermostat and fan switch, set ignition timing back up, now it's OCD cleaning time.

 

Red 205 turbo, finished putting it back together after a bust pipe and cracked liner.

 

Taking one up the road after the other was a very surreal feeling!

 

But a good day in 205 land at my house today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gaz205

Took my 205 back to its previous owner who had it for the last 25 years... She cried almost as much as the day I drove it away from her.

Sad times but she was over the moon with the restored results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simes

I had a fuel hose split two weeks ago.....luckily it was fairly dramatic and at slow manoeuvring speeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
changingman

Ripped the instrument cluster out and started my mission to get all the gauges working

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×