• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

[misc_work] Minigibbo's '93 Peugeot 205 Rallye.

Lowercase

are the 206 gti brake calipers and discs a straight fit?

MiniGibbo

From what I believe, yes onto a base model hub.

Lowercase

should be no problem onto me rallye then.. do you think ill have to change the brake lines or any other parts or just the calipers and team them with some ebc discs and pads.

also, im trying to get my dash out at the moment and its being a right sod, i cant get the lower half off the top half its still clinging on where the glove box would clip up into and im trying not to resort to being a thug and breaking it lol. top half around the speedos wont quite come free either.

any tips?

MiniGibbo

Tbh I didnt fit my brakes, they came with the car. All I knew was they for directly onto base hubs as I read it in a thread on here..

The glove box has screws going up into the top half of the dash, they're easy to find and theres big recesses.

The dial surround has three screws around the vents, two that come up from the cowl then it just "pops" off from around the actual dials.

Lowercase

hmm.. ive unscrewed EVERYTHIING lol, just wont.. un-pop :\ typical french car me thinks.

N3VRAM

Really excited to see where you go with the engine - hopefully the next step for me after i get a few bits sorted so will be watching this closely! Keep up the good work mate ^_^

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

hmm.. ive unscrewed EVERYTHIING lol, just wont.. un-pop :\ typical french car me thinks.

Take some photos and stick them in that thread i started about removing dashes, be good to get some more input in there and youll get better advice if we can see the problem..

pugmarshall

I removed my flywheel today with a tiny screwdriver and a spanner, man up! :P

You going to tart this engine up?

MiniGibbo

The engine will receive the same attention the rest of the car has,

anyway

Bought a few things over the last couple of weeks i havent been bothered to upload

SAM_0114.jpg

that lot consists of

BBM group N engine mount kit

BBM group A lower fork bush

new washer bottle pump

havent fitted the bushes obviously but have the pump and it hasnt done anything :wacko:

must be a earth problem if anyone doesnt have any other ideas..?

Anthony

Are you sure it's not just a poor connection at the pump? Just about every 205 I've ever owned has suffered from that at some point in its life, and even if they look OK, chances are that they're not.

Multimeter will quickly show what's what anyway and whether you have 12v to the pump when you pull back on the stalk, and whether there's a good earth connection.

MiniGibbo

I cleaned the terminals on the pump end.

I couldn't check anything with a multimeter as my battery is flat where I don't use it often and didn't have any of those battery's to hand.

I'll admit I didn't look at the earths on the slam panel Ally said about as mine still has the oem bags and I couldn't see how to remove them without braking the bag..?

miamichris

The bags are elasticated, just stretch them out where it is closest to the bodywork and you will be able to pull the bag abck to check the earths. You really need to test the wiring as Anthony has said above before going any further, I had similar issues with mine and it turned out to be a broken earth wire.

MiniGibbo

O right cheers, ill have a look when i take the front end off..!!

Planned to spend the weekend on the engine but that didnt happen, however spent a bit of time on it this afternoon starting with getting it on the stand.

SAM_0154.jpg

this allowed me to strip the rest of it with ease.

everything came off like it was new, no siezed bolts, no stuck head nothing..!

covers off the belts.

SAM_0155.jpg

head off with gasket in tack, no rips or signs of water/oil ways yet.

SAM_0156.jpg

and gasket off, didnt realise there wouldnt be a fat bit of metal under neath lol.. no wonder these engines are so light :wacko:

SAM_0157.jpg

The bores are dirty but feel smooth and look ok to me...?

SAM_0158.jpg

is there any checks i can do, ive got a haynes manual ive been flicking through but havent come accross "checks" or "putting it back together" yet.

thanks.

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Right after some discussion with a few people it seems the general idea is that the pistons in the xs bottom end will drop my compression ratio too much and cause loss of power even though it has a greater capicity...

so the search for some domed pistons began.. Luckily for me i spotted an entire s1 1400 xsi engine for sale but the current owner wouldnt split the block so a deal was struck and a i picked it up this morning,

SAM_0200.jpg

On the way home i was milling it over and im quite tempted to just use the cast bottom end with my rallye head or even build the j cam into the xsi head.... too many engines, too much choice lol.

welshpug

I believe the cams and heads are nigh on identical, so why not just sling it in as is?

MiniGibbo

Apparently the ports are slightly better on the xsi but the J cam in the Rallye is far superior.

MiniGibbo

Cheers for that read, very imformative..!

I still can't find power the xsi actually produces, only the 1600 is listed on wiki.. I've got a feeling it's 100 but that means the extra cc and weight is wasted over my exciting 1300.

But tbh I don't know what inlet the xsi uses and will want to use my metal Rallye inlet 100% and that might be the factor to push the xsi lump to 105-110hp..?

Miles

The alloy block liners look quite worn to me,

The 1600 lump just makes more torques than power over the 1400 lump it replaced

MiniGibbo

When I read th Haynes manual it said the way to check wear was how much of a lip was around the top and there isn't really a lip at the too..?

I do however hold your opinion much higher than mine dude so I'll take our word for it lol..

It's a 1400 xsi lunp btw. I only mentioned the 1600 as it was the only one I could find on wiki.

Edited by MiniGibbo

MiniGibbo

Right today i whacked the xs lump back together so we can move it around easier for when its new owner comes to pick it up and had it off the engine stand onto a dolly.

Once that was off i had the xsi lump onto to the stand for a closer inspection.. it was apparent quite quickly the xsi lump differs to the xs plug wise at least massively... im guessing the plugs on the existing rallye engine will match the xsi engine..

up on the stand

SAM_0202.jpg

whats this..? im guessing its a flywheel position sensor.. the xs defiantly didnt have that but cant remember seeing one on my rallye, well not that ive looked properly tbh.

SAM_0201.jpg

Also im guessing this is the tensioner thats advised to be replaced when i put a new timing belt on..

SAM_0203.jpg

And this is the water pump yes..?

worth changing while its on the stand..?

SAM_0204.jpg

Opinions please.

welshpug

yes, change it all.

indeed your rallye engine does have a crank sensor.

MiniGibbo

Yeah it would be best too i guess, give peace of mind too :)

Edited by MiniGibbo

GeorgeXS

A 1400 XSI does make 100hp in pre cat form, same as my AX GTI.

The XSI manifold is all plastic, this picture is with the throttle body in place:

IMG_7155.jpg

calvinhorse

If your using the steal block and upping the weight in my opinion you'd be better finding a 1600cc bottom end and making the most of a bad situation? I've always been told to start with the biggest engine rather than tuning a smaller engine.. (but that's just opinion..)

unless there is something I've missed?