• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

[misc_work] Minigibbo's '93 Peugeot 205 Rallye.

MiniGibbo

Only wanted to jump to 1400 an stay ally, I however don't fancy fanning about with disturbing wet liners and chancing dropping my compression so I'm going for the easy way out.

The iron is stronger also and will withstand being used " properly" easier.

I originally only intended to replace the stem valves lol.

calvinhorse

Ok, I'm just saving while you have the opportunity it'd make sence to go for the bigger cc steal block rather than the smaller one

MiniGibbo

Yeah it most defiantly makes sence but you know.. i dont always do things that make sence :lol:

With the MOT looming next month i though i better finish off every little niggle that may cause issues with the test so today saw the wishbone i split the balljoint boot on being changed..

New vs old

SAM_0205.jpg

and fitted, after much cursing trying to get the chassis end bolt in <_<

MiniGibbo

On the weekend just gone i had an hour to kill so i whipped the head off my XSI engine, domed pistons where a reasuring sight.. not that i doubted them being there just nice to see :D

so i had this sat on my floor,

SAM_0211.jpg

The cam seems to be in good shape, the lobes are very smooth and dont seem to have scoring

SAM_0212.jpg

The *journals isit..? do seem to have some scoring but its not a new engine and i dont "think" itll cause problems

SAM_0213.jpg

Many tedious growns and tamtrums later

SAM_0214.jpg

SAM_0217.jpg

SAM_0215.jpg

Still debaiting getting the head skimmed......

calvinhorse

Get it skimmed ;)

MiniGibbo

Picked up some bits this morning,

SAM_0224.jpg

This little lot consists of

oem headgasket

oem head set

oem strech bolts

gates timing belt

All i need now is a belt tensioner, water pump and find someone locally to skim the head for me.

MiniGibbo

Took the car over to Miles this morning and he changed all the connectors on the passenger side Indy and repeaters etc whichll solve all my niggling earth faults lol..

I also left my xsi head with him to be skimmed so once that's back I'll re-lap the valves and crack in building the engine.!!!

Had the car mot'd this afternoon and it passed..! Had to fiddle with the fog light and one of the number plate lights but no fails.

Just the one advisory for slight play in the steering rack which I'll be looking into.

They did question why it dosent have a cat but after a quick chat they tested it with pre cat rules.

Also worked out I've done 2800 miles in my first year of ownership, pretty good going IMO.

Lowercase

hows this coming along matt?

MiniGibbo

Its not tbh haha..

Miles currently has the head awaiting a skim then i can crack on with it. Had a few other things going on so couldnt really pursue it dude..

MiniGibbo

With a break in the recent wet weather and my first weekend for a while where i have nothing to do i thought it would be the best time to crack out the das6 i bought a while back that has just sat in its box..

Started off saturday morning With my usaul method and products,

Snow foamed

2bm wash inc shuts

2bm wash on wheels

Tardis

clayed with sonus fine (second clay this year)

that was the end of that day haha

this morning saw a quick wipe over with QD, i ran out of the megs i was using and always like to try something new so bought this

SAM_0261.jpg

Seems more "wet" than the megs if that makes sence..?

after that came the machining, i havent done this before but knew the car needed a good correction so tried

5" orange pad

menz polish (a fairly fine one, about quater the way up the guide on the side)

The car came up really well, some panels needed going over more than others but i done the whole car to bring it up even..

some during,

SAM_0262.jpg

SAM_0265.jpg

SAM_0263.jpg

SAM_0264.jpg

And some afters, its annoying yellow is one of those colours that dosent really show reflections :/

SAM_0266.jpg

SAM_0267.jpg

SAM_0268.jpg

Lowercase

might not show reflections, but looks proper tidy :D still cant help but think it needs new front stripes. i know you wanted to keep the origional ones if you could, but they do let the overall vibe down :/

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Cheers, as it stands I am 100% with the exterior but ill give it another thought once I get the engine done.

MiniGibbo

Contiuned with prep work before the heads back today, started off with cleaning the valves.. a job that dosent actully take as long as i thought it would haha

SAM_0283.jpg

SAM_0284.jpg

Then whack a coat of paint on the manifold, it looks patchy but thats just where i painted one side then flipped it and the other is still wet

SAM_0285.jpg

All together progressive morning.

All thats left to do/buy is a new dipstick as both of mine are shot and a belt tensioner and water pump.

jonXS

keep up the goodwork mate, i always enjoy reading updates to this thread.

dipsticks are round £8 assuming that they are the same on tu engines.

I could give you the part no from pug if you want

MiniGibbo

Cheers dude, thanks for the offer but it should be ok.. I normally just borrow a reg of moaners and buy parts with that at my dealer..

To be fair they're quite helpful..!

MiniGibbo

B9E42128-A613-4D0B-984C-FA6FCCFC8C67-2382-000003B7DC923F82.jpg

Time to crack on :lol:

• Like 1

jonXS

ooooooo shiney :) :)

MiniGibbo

Spent an hour on the head this afternoon, started off by grinding the valves which is soo much easier with the thing you put in a cordless drill haha

New Stem valve seals on

SAM_0310.jpg

After that i popped all the valves in as you do, i never want to see a collet again... tedious little things <_<

That didnt take too long so i popped the cam shaft in to find the head set i bought from Peugeot dosent come with the cam shaft oil seal...????? not sure if thats normal or not..

SAM_0311.jpg

SAM_0312.jpg

jonXS

was it a 'victor reinz' headgasket set?

thats what one i got and i couldn't find one in the pack that fitted. I just assumed its were its them generic packs for more than one model.

Theres always some missing and others that aren't even used

oh yeah keep up the good work, seems to be coming along nicely :)

MiniGibbo

No idea tbh mate, its what ever my local dealer gave me.. im going to go throught the haynes and see what gaskets im missing and order them on the weekend as im a bit stuck now <_<

MiniGibbo

Carried on with the engine today,

Picked up a cam seal as my dealer dosent seem to want to put them in a "headset"...

SAM_0353.jpg

Then as per the haynes, i cleaned the carbon off the crowns

SAM_0354.jpg

SAM_0355.jpg

New gasket

SAM_0356.jpg

Then came the nerve racking part of actully winding the head down.... went ok to be fair haha

SAM_0359.jpg

Which leaves me now with timing it up then fitting the belt, with the new water pump and belt tensioner.

Not long now :D

• Like 1

Lowercase

cracking job mate, fancy building me one :P ?

• Like 1

dcc

make sure the engine is pretty close to being timed up before you assemble it, last thing you want is a piston clipping a valve by accident.

The engine looks good though! get some nice paint on there and it will look great :)

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Cheers guys, yeah i didn't know that when I put it on but should be ok as in the photo with the gasket on one and four are up anyway and that's how it was left before I fitted the head so I think I'm lucky.

Trying to make a list of what I need to buy/do before its finished.

New clutch

New dipstick

New water pump

New belt tensioner

New engine oil

New coolant

New oil filter

New spark plugs

Have the inner wings done

Clean the bay

New rear wiper blade

The list just gets longer :/

MiniGibbo

Got the engine into its timing positions and locked it off ready for the belt

SAM_0371.jpg

SAM_0370.jpg

Followed by checking it manually just to be double sure

4 up

SAM_0361.jpg

3 down

SAM_0362.jpg

2 down

SAM_0363.jpg

1 up

SAM_0364.jpg

After that was done i gave the block a good clean to remove all contaniments and rust then painted in black VHT

SAM_0369.jpg

Also test fitted the manifold as since buying it, its never seen an engine haha

SAM_0360.jpg