• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

[misc_work] Minigibbo's '93 Peugeot 205 Rallye.

dcc

paint it yellow over the top!

Anthony

paint it yellow over the top!

You can't paint over Waxoyl Underseal, as it never properly dries/sets

MiniGibbo

Yeah I'd like to of kept it yellow but I'm happy enough knowing they're protected better..

MiniGibbo

Picked the car up from the bodyshop yesterday and cracked on this morning trying to get it back together..

At the bodyshop i had the rust treated then sealed and sprayed, came out lovely imo.

SDC14763.jpg

SDC14764.jpg

As the bodyshop say "itll now out last the car" :y:

Got it all back togther ready for the scuttle to be refitted, what an arsehole that bolt is on the wiper motor :wall: after a lot of fiddling managed to get it fitted.

SDC14767.jpg

I also fitted my Black carpet that i cleaned earlier in the week, its not only in better condition than my existing grey carpet but was a lot cleaner to begin with, hardly anything came out when i washed it.

No photos of this sadly as it was a chore as it was having to take the entire interior out for the what seems the millionith time

After that i finished off cleaning behind the dash and the bit of the glass you cant get too behind the dash on the windscreen, obviously this was like the rest of the car "filthy"

SDC14768.jpg

Sadly after that i ran out of time, as i need to pack for my flights this afternoon.

• Like 1

allye

I know exactly what you mean about the wiper motor bolt, the captive nut always comes out!

muddatrucker

You need to swap that Monster can for a can of Kronenbourg.

allye

You need to swap that Monster can for a can of Kronenbourg.

Stella, jeezzz. STELLAACTATWAT

• Like 1

muddatrucker

Stella, jeezzz. STELLAACTATWAT

Stella is Belgian, I was trying to be OE!

MiniGibbo

Ive actully got a new oil catch tank waiting to be fitted ^_^

Edited by MiniGibbo

MiniGibbo

Spent an hour on the 205 this morning trying to get ever closer to getting it all back together and on the road again.. Started off with having a poke around with the interior loom seeing how easy itll come out to find this...

SDC14769.jpg

SDC14770.jpg

the white wire goes to the fuel pump under the seats so im asuming this is something to do with changing carb to injection..? i wonder also if this has anything to do with the faults i have with my dash electrics which for those that dont remember,

Dash lights dont work at all

Rev counter only works when the interior heaters on full blast

safe to say i gave up until i get an asnwer :wacko:

Next up was the passenger door card,

before

SDC14772.jpg

Replaced with new

SDC14773.jpg

then came a new purchase i had the other week to replace the "diy" catch tank, i couldnt decide where to mount it but found a gap and i think itll be ok there..?

SDC14774.jpg

Mounted to this on the turret

SDC14775.jpg

Only problem being is i couldnt find a hose big enough to go over the 20mm outlet on the rocker cover and small enough to go onto the tank, i tried a 1/2" hose pipe ouf the garden but that wouldnt strech over the rocekr cover even with some heat...

Ideas..?

MiniGibbo

More impulse buying this weekend, this time in the shape of a OMP Inox. Its off a 205 but what 205 im unsure but looks similar to systems fettled to run gti6 engines..?

SDC14782.jpg

SDC14784.jpg

I bought it primarly for the backbox but if i can get the b pipe to work i might try it, safe to say though if it fits that silencer is coming out lol.

It has a bore of 2.5" which is massive compared to my oem 1.75".. im wondering if i can clamp the pipe down to match my oem b pipe on the back box or if ill need a down sizer welded on :detective:

Either way i started by cleaning it up and giving the backbox a new coat of paint

SDC14785.jpg

Bring on the noise :D

allye

2.5 abit big for a 1.3......

200hp+ GTI6's only run 2.25, generally only super/turbo charged cars go much bigger?

MiniGibbo

Yeah I was thinking about it this afternoon and I've been off the idea of using the B pipe and have ordered a down sizer, cone type of affair to fit the backbox.

When I picked it up it reminded me of the BTB system you get for Saxos that are primary for high power (boost) engines and they're only 2.25.. God knows what power you need to make use of 2.5 :o

MiniGibbo

Postman has been busy allready this week..

SDC14786.jpg

That is a XS interior loom so i can fit my dials, 20mm silicone tube for my oil catch tank and the down sizer for my backbox..

Started off by fitting the pipe for the catchtank,

SDC14788.jpg

SDC14787.jpg

Thats another job ticked off the list, engine bay is nearly done now :A: Needs a good clean though.. got well dusty in the bodyshop.

Next up was the bit i was most looking forward too the exhaust started off by building up the back box,

SDC14789.jpg

Fits well snug, gave it all a thick layer of exhaust jizz so i "shouldnt" get any leaks..

Next up was removal of the old system and a trial fit to see if the back box would even fit.. first problem came when i took the oem box off,

SDC14791.jpg

Nothing a grinder couldnt fix,

SDC14792.jpg

And fitted,

SDC14793.jpg

It looks a mess and tbh ill probably get it welded up when i get the time but for now it dosent leak and works :cool:

Well works but isnt lined up great, think i need new exhaust hangers and a bit of adjustment on the hangers..

SDC14794.jpg

SDC14795.jpg

Its dirty as soon as i got my oem box off it started to piss down with rain :(

All i can say is its LOUD :D

tidypug

You want to be carefull with the exhaust touching the bumper, it'll melt it over time.

MiniGibbo

Yeah im on the case and as hte car isnt currently being driven it shouldnt be a problem as such,

As the interior is starting to come to its end i thaught i better turn my attention to the outside.. it needs work tbh..

Anyway as the front wipers are off anyway i thaught i may as well pop the back off and clean them up..!

before,

SDC14797.jpg

SDC14798.jpg

SDC14799.jpg

As it stands theyve been rubbed down and had the first coat of primer applied.

Next up was to have another look at my exhaust, this is my problem..

SDC14800.jpg

Hung on only the left hand hanger it sits where it should,

SDC14802.jpg

SDC14801.jpg

Im going to try and get a longer rubber but as it stands there was nothing i could do without the bits so had a mood swing and polished the tip with the autosol that arrived this morning to cheer my self up

SDC14803.jpg

SDC14804.jpg

It looks a million times better but has terrible pitting thatll need attention.

Just after lunch the sparky turnt up to have a look at the car, It was such an arsehole trying to find someone to even look at it.. The guy ive used in the past dosent seem to be trading anymore and i must of rang four or five people before this guy and none where interested...

He gave it a quick look over and said its all there and just needs tidying up, he reacons the faults with the rev counter will more than likely be the diy wiring from the fuel pump..?

One thing he did say he wants to fix and isnt happy with is the car dosent have a *inersea swith which cuts the fuel in an accident and if i could source one for him to wire hell be happy.

Once he left i went down to the local scrappy and a Renault megane came to my rescue

9cd2d8ba.jpg

It may look in immaculate condition for a part off a breaker but thatll be because i cleaned it when i got home :oops:

Next plans are to take the car with me to work on monday and hes going to come over and make a start on the wiring first thing. If i was to take a guess i reacon hell spend a good 4-6 hours on the car which at auto sparky rates is going to be expensive :(

allye

Exhaust looks great. To be fair the wiring does need sorting!

Every conversion going people ditch those switches.....

MiniGibbo

Cheers, yeah i agree 100% thats why its being done not just forgot about.. the car drives and starts without fault so i can see what its been left alone but thats not how i do things.

Cant wait to get the car back together and enjoy it again, its been sadly missed tbh :(

EDIT: as for the swith. Its a safety thing to cut the fuel in an accident, made sence to fit one in my eyes when he explained it..?

Edited by MiniGibbo

MiniGibbo

1. New bits today,
    SDC14805.jpg
    Hanger to fix said problem with exhaust and the things i cant spell to catch vapours in the catch tank.
    and fitted..
    SDC14806.jpg
    It slightly vibrates its self off over bumps which is tedious i cant quite work out what to put on the hangers to stop it working its self off.
    And how the exhaust sits now,
    SDC14807.jpg
    Its not perfect but is a lot better than when it was touching and from afar ie if your in a car behind my 205 it looks to sit right with the actual exit being central even though the backbox end of the tip isnt if that makes sence..?
    Next up was to put the top coat on my wipers,
    SDC14808.jpg
    SDC14810.jpg
    (The close up looked focused on my camera screen :( )
    Very swish :cool:

Anthony

EDIT: as for the swith. Its a safety thing to cut the fuel in an accident, made sence to fit one in my eyes when he explained it..?

Yes and no.

The theory is sound and it is there to cut fuel in an accident like you say, but what tends to happen is that the switches become a little bit over-sensitive as they age and you tend to find that they can trip-out hitting pot holes or riding the kerbs on track which is both irritating and potentially dangerous in its own right.

MiniGibbo

Yeah I was thinking that when I was cleaning it and was trying to work out how it worked.. It Looks as if it has a peice inside and attached to a magnet as if you shake it like would happen in a bump it shakes around then is drawn back to the magnet.

It seems a good idea to fit one but if there a pain I'll reconsider It as I don't want fuel starvation tbh.. I'll have another chat with him when he comes to start the wiring Monday.

• Like 1

Anthony

It's not so much fuel starvation but more you hit a big enough bump and you lose all power, and you need to stop, lift the bonnet and reset the cut-out switch before you can get going again. As I said, not really a problem if the switch is as-new, but it can be when it gets old and a little over-sensitive which is why most people remove them completely.

custard-rallye

Little jubilee clip on the end of the hanger will stop it rattling off

MiniGibbo

yeah it is a second hand unit, i think youve sold "not fitting it" to me Anthony dude.. ive had a few suggestions for what to hold the rubber hanger on with and currently the jubillee clip idea is winning just need to find some in the garage small enough.

Took the car with me to work today so the guy could start the wiring, was nice driving a car to work tbh havent done it in years..

in the unit,

1665b583.jpg

Got a phonecall just after nine the guy has broncitus* or something along those lines and i wont be seeing him for a few days :S

MiniGibbo

To update this, the car sat in the unit for 9 days and the mush never rang me back so hes either bed ridden or a melt so the hunt for a sparky continues :S

Had the exhaust off this afternoon ready for a mate to weld it up tomorrow, didnt realise just how long the system is LOL

Then as the exhaust was off i saw it as a perfect time to pamper the rear boot floor. I started off by pre rinsing the underneath then scrubing with Autosmart g101 mixed to 5-1 and a stiff brush then repeated until it was as clean as i wanted.

I used an asortment of brushes again all the way down too a toothbrush to make sure i got as much dirt and grime off as i could.

Before

SDC14883.jpg

After

SDC14884.jpg

I then took a wire brush to all loose and flakey surface rust patches and underseal ready for some kurust in the morning, i didnt want to/couldnt continue as it started to spit and i wanted it to dry over night so i dont trap moisture between the metal and the waxoil.

Also as i havent put up an actual shot of the car in a while, how its looking in its sorry dirty state at the moment back home,

SDC14881.jpg

SDC14882.jpg