• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

Daviewonder

Just stumbled across this-

_128_zpsba6bbaa6.jpg

I guess it's just an old photo that they've reused?

• Like 1

cybernck

And a rather random one, as that's far off from a 1986 205 GTI :rolleyes:.

cRaig

Is that this months classic monthly?

Yeah, it pops up from time to time in Classics monthly, I assume the photos are in their stock collection so will be dug out for the foreseeable future! I certainly wasn't asked about it! :D

There is another "publication" of my car in the works, but as its not finalised yet, I cant mention it in public.. :ph34r::P

cRaig

Well, its on their website now, so I guess I can spill the beans :D

A chap on the forum who does work for Corgi contacted me earlier in the year, looking to expand their 1:43 Vanguards range (they have already done the 1FM and a selection of other 205s) and were looking to expand the range and include a laser green, and it was asked if the details of my car could be used for the model, so i could hardly say no! :)

45182218391_b318069025_c.jpg

43368065600_72a23f8bd8_c.jpg

The stock image/render is of the Griffe version, but the laser green 1.9 one will come with red trims and silver alloys, and UK plates with my reg on it which is kinda cool! :)

http://www.corgi.co.uk/shop/vanguards/va12709a-peugeot-205-gti-19-laser-green/

*update* Sadly the Corgi model was canned, as they streamlined the model range, and focused on Fords and other models!

Not made much progress on the actual car, as uni work has well and truly taken over again, but luckily its the final, final uni project which is over in a couple of months, cant wait!

Have given the ZX plastic manifold a really deep clean, light sand and then satin plastic paint, and has come up really nicely. Same with the plastic fuel rail, and have finished it off with one of my new manifold stickers. Famer kindly tracked down some NOS gaskets, as it uses rubber gaskets, rather than the standard paper gasket like the alloy inlet manifold. Next job is to clean and sort the throttle body to the same standard, then all of the new management bits are sorted, bar the loom.

13353895284_3cef3e997d_c.jpg

13353894314_36dc8df2b5_c.jpg

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 2

AndyCrom

Thats great news on Corgi, just popped my name down for when they list the stock to get my hands on one of them!

Did you get them to include your enlarged clock for the mpg display lol.

Glad to see your still making some forward progress with yours, had to lay mine up short term due to impending baby and a new house + job spare time is a premium atm, long term plans however to follow on your stunningly fine example of a lazer and to fully strip and rework every inch over the coming years once I have the new place (and a trailer lol)

pugdamo

The stock image/render is of the Griffe version, but the laser green 1.9 one will come with red trims and silver alloys, and UK plates with my reg on it which is kinda cool! :)

Do you know if it will just be there griffe model but with the silver wheels and other stuff or it will be a new model?Will it be right hand drive?

Congratulations on that though,nice little write up on their website.

cRaig

Do you know if it will just be there griffe model but with the silver wheels and other stuff or it will be a new model?Will it be right hand drive?

Congratulations on that though,nice little write up on their website.

Good question! I hope/assume it will be RHD, given the fact it comes with UK plates, and they have already done other 205 models, such as the 1FM in RHD

e.g. http://www.corgi.co.uk/shop/vanguards/classics/va12702-peugeot-205-19-gti-miami-blue-as-featured-on-top-gear/

Anyway, a little progress, have finally got a pair of CV joints with 29 tooth ABS rings that fit, so that sorts the last piece of the mechanical side of the ABS install. Next job is to press the bearings into the ABS hubs, so it can go back on its wheels, even if the ABS isnt finished for a while, it means I wont have to pop the shafts out of the box again, its not hard work, just a bit tedious if I can avoid doing it for a while!

13962268336_2c28bae7e9_c.jpg

Hoping to get it back on its wheels early summer, finish the PAS install and get that trip computer up and running! :D

Edited by cRaig

brian j

Great work! Where did you get the CV joints from in the end? I wouldn't mind stockpiling a spare set just in case...

cRaig

Thanks, I'm quite chuffed. Was such a relief when they just tapped on over the circlip! :D

They came from a motorfactor who was selling them on eBay, presumably they have had them lying around in stock for a while. I have emailed them to see if they have any more available, or can get some in, I will PM you if they have any more :)

The other ones I have my eye on are these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191140518185?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but I have no idea if MAPCO are any good? A quick google suggests they supply German OEMs, so cant be that bad? like you, I figure it would be good to get a pair stockpiled away for the future!

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

Have been testing out a electrolytic metal cleaning kit I bought recently (a prequel to the DIY electroplating kit I have also got) Basically I have a few nuts, bolts and brackets I would like to yellow zinc plate to finish off the various mod installs, but have discovered when rebuilding the car that while getting large quantities (buckets) of bits plated is quite cheap, the costs dont come down that much for smaller quantities (it is a small, cash in hand job after all, so tends to have a fairly fixed price to them I guess!)

so this way I should be able to clean and plate small quantities at my leisure, to keep the 205 looking extra shiny for years to come! :D

First test on the hub plate to go in the ABS hubs, they were in pretty decent nick to begin with, but rust on the back, and lots of caked in road grime. About a 1hr test so far, and the results are pretty pleasing :)

14063380272_c7b3d3cb68_c.jpg

14063378042_79e73315a2_c.jpg

35898999246_4f6d14e43a_c.jpg

WP_20140429_008 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

welshpug

Didn't fancy just buying new ones then Craig? :P

• Like 1

cRaig

I am highly resourceful and economical when it comes to this car, I will have you know!

... at least thats what I tell the other half.. :ph34r:

Nah, they seemed silly money when there is nothing actually wrong with them apart from surface rust and a bit of grime. I have reused and refurbed lots of bits along the way, its not all new! :D Plus Id rather save the cash for fun shiny bits and pointless modifications.. :)

Edited by cRaig

chipstick

Good attention to detail as always Craig. Hope to see the old girl in person again at some point this year. Will have to get a Cheddar meet on the go again :)

Weser

Is that a CTEK charger on the battery mate? Are they good - heard they are pretty decent. Was thinking of buying one for the leisure battery in my camper.

cRaig

Yep, bought one last year as Ive got quite a few batteries to look after these days (midget, 205, and 2 in the sinclair c5!! :D) So its only been on one winter. Really impressed with the quality, its a nicely put together bit of kit. I went for a mid range one which can condition as well as maintain. No issues with batteries going flat as long as I remember to swap it round to different batteries every couple of weeks, and the led display lights are nice and easy to understand what its up to.

• Like 1

feb

Your work never stops to impress me, are you planning to go to any meetings/events this year? I'd love to see this car in the flesh!

• Like 1

cybernck

What's the story with these DIY kits then?

cRaig

Inbetween printing and filing Pugfest tickets in the last week, Ive had a chance to nudge the 205 forward! :D

Resassembled the new front hubs on a mates press, new SKF bearings, my plated front plates, and the powdercoated ABS-spec hubs :)

14312421258_de97cda46c_c.jpg

Rummaged out my new bosch ABS sensors, and the fittings bits from the scrappy 306 I have cleaned up

14312420469_c484e95916_c.jpg

All reassembled on the car! With the proper ABS sensor cable support brackets (and some spare washer hose clips!) as OE installed on the 205, it looks as it should :)

14312567997_4c255cc601_c.jpg

Next job was fitting the final new trims- I have been stockpiling cheap chrome trims over the last year or two, have etch primed them, and painted them with some FZN colour matched grey metalic paint. That way my almost new red trims can be carefully stored up in the loft if I ever fancy going back to standard.

With the yellow driving lights, and yellow headlight bulbs, I think it looks good! :) (I might get a bonnet bra next.. ;) )

14312416918_0b8b60a375_c.jpg

14519129153_24f6ffab94_c.jpg

And as a finishing touch, fitted a set of quarter panel badges (pins still intact.. apart from one! :D ) Genuine badges, from France

14497720244_a5482dd307_c.jpg

14312416359_218c476f45_c.jpg

Next jobs are to pop the wheels outside and take it for a wash outside! Then finish installing the trip computer, and swap over the ECU and loom for the motronic setup. :)

• Like 1

cRaig

Also spent a while out in the sun with the Vax carpet cleaner..

One oily ltd ed. grey carpet:

45182338131_6298f75ced_c.jpg

44459927964_150a2f3f0f_c.jpg

The last of the oil stains is still to come out, but not bad for the first go over.

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

cRaig

Well, another day, another sideways project started.. (mainly its been too rainy to consider bothering to push it outside for a wash, so my mind wandered elsewhere.. :P) Another hankering in the last year or so has been a "period" sound system for the 205, and what better period to look to than the 1FM for inspiration..

This started by one of the 1FM owners selling off a few bits and pieces which "nearly" match the setup found in the 1FM (the thinking being that if the correct bits were never found, being close was better than having the stereo missing!) As the correct bits have now been found, these parts were no longer required, and they caught my eye, particularly the parcel shelf- an extremely nicely made acoustic shelf, a very close replica to the one found in the 1FM (of the other owners is a very talented carpenter, and has made a few of these to replace missing shelves, again now surplus due to an original turning up)

14532371001_6cb06dba87_c.jpg

14349295207_8417081b7c_c.jpg

The shelf is a really nicely made thing, comes with little turned dowels replacing the standard plastic ones moulded to the standard parcel shelf (due to the extra weight)

So first job was to unpack the *new* still boxed 20-odd year old Clarion 6x9 speakers the chap had impressively tracked down from California of all places! While less watts than found in the 1FM, they are still a similar looking, and similar performing speaker and look great in the shelf. (these are SE2902s, compared to SE4900 I think.. if you are interested in that sort of thing.. :P)

14349294607_a1890b0028_c.jpg

Still has their 1 year guarantee card inside! :D

14535747025_3d73f90bcf_c.jpg

14349292457_0e6949efa0_c.jpg

Fit nicely in the routed shelf, so they sit almost flush.

14349291537_6c448064a3_c.jpg

14349112000_a3c07aa125_c.jpg

Old School!

14349110620_7e3efb6ceb_c.jpg

Lots of staples, some acoustic cloth and some awkward corners later..

14512624116_50782409a3_c.jpg

14349176678_c264443332_c.jpg

Stealthy! :)

14532360771_af4e2a54c6_c.jpg

14349135439_c229cfbdf1_c.jpg

14349133219_062c970db4_c.jpg

I had to redo the corners a few times until I was happy, but then it all gets covered with another mdf sheet, in this case vinyl covered. Gives quite a professional finish, I think!

14536511982_0fc465e6b4_c.jpg

14536511072_03f35ee95d_c.jpg

14535991654_af5921efd9_c.jpg

And it fits and everything!

14535989404_4a4ebec3e9_c.jpg

Got to get my head around the rest of the system, but its a start! :) That and figure out some wiring for it.. Still, if Im going to swap the carpet over at some point, makes sense to sort it then.

14534758362_10314e3aa0_c.jpg

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

Da Bootou

Nice job Craig!

It's going to be hard to out- do you on this project.

By the way, Love those rear head rests

Cheers Mate

cRaig

Personally I think this is the coolest (and perhaps nerdiest) modification so far..! :D

http://youtu.be/q9JUVLwl9uU

309 three door quarter window mounts and catches (so standard looking cable operated) attached to a BMW 3 series coupe rear window solenoid via a custom cable, utilising the adjusters and fittings harvested from the lever operated cable system from the 309. Will load up some pics when its finished, just got to sort some limit switches for it, and some minor bracketry. The switch is going to be fitted to a CTI coin tray panel in front of the gear lever, which is the OE position for the electric roof switch :)

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 2

eddie bullit

That's brilliant! but a step too far? You'll be fitting an auto box next. :P

I'm only jealous. Going to be a real one off when its finished..if that day ever comes.

cRaig

Haha, perhaps! Its one of the first mods I ever looked into when I got the 205- I remember over the years people have suggested various things, motors off the Renault Megane etc, but I've finally got around to finding a workable solution! I think its a really nice touch to the 205, as I find that the rear windows are much better open if the sunroof is back, as otherwise the airflow/pressure in the car isn't very nice, and reaching over to pop the windows is quite ungainly (then again I'm quite short, so others with longer arms might not find it a problem! :D )

Finished?! The plan is after being all motivated at Pugfest to ensure that its "finished" and back on the road for Pugfest next year, with all of the various things I have planned for it all wrapped up and done (abs, a/c, trip computer etc)

No auto box though! :P

Edited by cRaig

eddie bullit

The windows are an excellent addition Craig! I remember, as I've not driven a pug for a while as it's in bits, having to get in the back to open the rear windows. It's what I'd call a mod worth doing not just for the sake of it. The digital trip computers a cracker as well as the clocks s*ite anyway :D