• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

cRaig

One shiny VTS Ph 1. rack ready and waiting to fit. Tom Fenton gave it a quick once over internally to check the bearings, and I've cleaned it, fitted NOS Motaquip 205 track rods and ends, which came with lemforder branded fittings, so hopefully will be fairly decent quality/long lasting. Have finished it off with genuine Citroen gaiters and a new old stock Pug PAS ram (relatively) cheap off ebay.

35101768094_be9b3b7bb8_c.jpg

WP_20131130_003 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Looking forward to PAS goodness! Will hopefully get a chance next week to drop the box, swap the ram over and start fitting the motronic bits.

Also recently hoovered up some more PAS parts to make the install easier/ more reliable in the long run:

A NOS genuine pug power steering pump (£40), and a new OE belt

35101767074_d7a2ef0d75_c.jpg

WP_20131130_009 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Thats why all these mods take me so long to organise.. trying to track down shiny NOS bits :D

Edited by cRaig

Tom Fenton

Refitting that stupid orange bag is a step too far, even for you!!!!!!

cRaig

Whats wrong with the orange condom!? :P

• Like 1

JoshGti

Craig, just read through a lot of this and what a labour of love! One thing i will mention is th silicone piping youve got for the motronic MAP sensor, i used silicone hosing for mine and i was scratching my head for days when i first installed my setup, turned out either the ID was to small or the hosing was pulling itself chut under the vacuum. So if you have any issues when trying to start or with running try replaing it with a solid line, which i beleive is what it is standard anyway?

Also yeah, the spindle is the only difference between the two throttle bodies, but cutting it down and trying to make it fit isnt worth the time as theres no adjustment (the way i found out before i picked up the zx TB), so just swap the spindles out if youre keeping your throttle body.

cRaig

Hi Josh, thanks for your reply :)

I did buy specifically 'vacuum' silicone hose, so presumably it has a slightly stronger wall? If it does cause an issue, I will look into it. Have started emptying the engine bay to fit various bits, and drop the box, will update soon!

Cheers

Craig

mrfirepro

Hi Craig,

Where did you get the power steering pump from?

Thanks

Maso

Another one who like the rear headrests in normal seats! I usually cut up a set of front seats frames and use the little tubes that headrests go in. That way you use the white bit with the clip and the bit that slots into it on top of the seat. The headrests then work like normal like the front seats. biggrin.gif

cool, i want this as well for my passengers ;)

Maso

Still (sorf of..) on track for summer completion:

Twin fan relays & box and bracketry fitted:

7029074621_40a7cfcbc0_c.jpg

Remote oil filter housing & (new silicone baker bm) oil to water heat exchanger fitted:

6882975538_4b79636cb8_c.jpg

Pretty close to the engine bay being finished now. Fuel filter bracket zinc plated and fitted.

6882976388_2191c2663f_c.jpg

Petrol tank, new rubber hoses and metal pipes fitted. Stainless steel jubilee clips etc. Just got the tank strap, heatshield and rear brakes to sort really. Underneath was fully cleaned, rust proofed where needed, then coated with a liberal layer of waxoyl underseal. Cavities: boot floor rail, sills, engine bay rails etc have all be coated with Dynax S50 cavity wax, seems to get really good reviews, so hopefully should prolong the life of the internal structures.

6882977196_8d9b14ed4f_c.jpg

Fiddly jobs like gluing the door rubber seals back on- they were removed for the respray, and are 1-use self adhesive originally, so UHU to the rescue!

7029077079_6af96ebc60_z.jpg

Arch trims and red strips are nearly all back on, starting to look like a GTI again :)

6882978074_d7b7da4204_c.jpg

Mainly the exhaust, rear brakes and rad and a/c condensor to fit, then can concentrate on the interior. Nearly there now!

that color realy looks smashing. Great finish on the car.

acox99

It looks spot on. The car is a credit to you. If only mine looked half as good.

cRaig

Thanks for the feedback chaps, it is appreciated :)

Hi Craig,

Where did you get the power steering pump from?

Thanks

I found it on ebay, it was listed for a citroen zx, so obviously has a much smaller market than the 205 (most of the pumps seem to be listed around the 100 quid mark, but the part number was the same (4007.V7, and I got it for around 40 quid, pretty pleased with it, just need to get the pulley replated to finish it off. :)

Bit of progress, started clearing out the engine bay of Jetronic management bits, and have dropped the gearbox to fit the flywheel with timing teeth. Have stuck with the 205 motronic sized flywheel, so I can retain my nearly-new valeo clutch. Dropping the box wasnt a bad as I thought it would be, a couple of minor chips/scratches on the subframe, but they will touch in fine.

35941979195_60d2ee3d2b_c.jpg

IMG_8846 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Clutch back on and torqued up, nice and easy with both the proper flyweel locking tool and a snazzy clutch centering tool (I must be geting lazy lol)

35101964324_620982fcdb_c.jpg

IMG_8847 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Have swapped over the speedo drive housing for the fuel computer reading :D I have ordered some JPT plugs to make a little link loom to connect the speedo sensor, and also piggy back the injector wire- the plan is to plug a male into one of the plugs adjacent to the injectors, then spur off two wires and then back into a female plug. That way it can be unplugged easier and returned to standard if needed.

35901170206_e8ec9f7918_c.jpg

IMG_8853 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Growing pile of Jetronic bits to be carefully boxed up and stored, in the case I ever want to put it back to standard.

35132541123_d015788521_c.jpg

IMG_8854 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Thermostat housing removed, gasket face needs cleaning, and then the new housing bolting on

35101891764_5fd2fd0cda_c.jpg

IMG_8855 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

While the gearbox was out, I thought it would be easier to remove the steering rack and swap it over, as more access in the bay can only be a good thing!

35809897971_5149fa8ce0_c.jpg

IMG_8856 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

Decided to play with the trip computer a bit more. Have enlarged out the clock surround to accomodate the bigger screen

35130754423_26f5dbff8e_c.jpg

WP_20131212_001 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Have drilled some holes to seat the switches for toggling the screen display/ resetting trips etc

35130753213_0d5994fe04_c.jpg

WP_20131212_002 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

35130749263_e71a7816af_c.jpg

WP_20131212_008 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Screen doesnt fit perfectly yet, the plan is to secure a sheet of 1mm clear perspex behind the opening, followed by a trimmed sheet of 1mm pinseal textured ABS trimmed to fit the screen through (to cover the plastic bezel around the screen, so there is only textured plastic visible)

35130750493_c7ae7535bb_c.jpg

WP_20131212_006 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

35130748303_9750a102d5_c.jpg

WP_20131212_014a by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Have also ordered the various JPT plugs I need to piggy-back the injector plug, connect to the speedo drive sensor and some 0.5mm wire in various colours to make a little link loom. :)

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

allye

Looking forward to this (insert popcorn smiley)

cRaig

Screen fitted :) Quite pleased with the black surround addition, and the perspex screen cover. Looks smart enough, and when fitted on the dash I dont think it will draw attention for being that far away from standard.

35769884872_72224fc209_c.jpg

IMG_8926 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Buttons tested and working fine, can now cycle through the various display functions.

35130849293_aeeec4bd30_c.jpg

IMG_8909 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

35551879320_475263f2e6_c.jpg

IMG_8898 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Next job, loom! :)

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 3

AndyCrom

That looks great bet your made up how well its all coming along now, would love to see it on the road

I was going to say I would love to see this when its all done, but projects like this are never truly complete lol

GLPoomobile

Very B)

• Like 1

allye

If Peugeot has ever done a trip computer out of the factory, that's what it would have looked like! :D

• Like 1

cRaig

We could organise a group buy of them if people wanted! Only need to get a minimum order of 5 to get discount :) I might even consider doing the surrounds and looms if people were interested, once I've tested mine ;)

• Like 2

dale205mills

You have got to much time on your hands Craig to keep thinking up all these good ideas.

brian j

We could organise a group buy of them if people wanted! Only need to get a minimum order of 5 to get discount :) I might even consider doing the surrounds and looms if people were interested, once I've tested mine ;)

What he said... :) With orange illumination. I am on the list (depending on price)

Weser

Im on the list for a loom and display! Will want to mount mine in the coin tray so its hidden away but I love it!

eddie bullit

If plug n play I'm in

cRaig

Will give it some thought, and see how I get on fitting mine, see if we can sort out a group buy of some kind :)

Question- where do people recon the best place to put the temperature sensors is? Does anyone know a common/standard place that OE manufacturers use? Ive got an indoor and outdoor temp to install, they are very small (5mm square plus pins) so they can go pretty much anywhere, but obviously worried about the outside one being too exposed to rain/road grime etc, I was thinking up behind the front bumper, beneath a headlight, so its out of wind chill, but not influenced by engine/exhaust heat.

Not too sure about the inside temp one. Under the dash somewhere I guess, although it can get quite warm under there. Up next to the interior light/central locking?

Cheers,

Craig

chipstick

External ones are often under a wing mirror. Would be easy to route down into the door through the loom to the 'computer'.

welshpug

Peugeot usually use the nearside mirror for the exterior temp, interior is usually the interior light unit.