• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

cRaig

Excellent suggestion chaps. Much easier to wire in than having wires going all the way to the front of the car. I knew there would be an OE solution where they have done the hard work figuring out where to put them :)

cRaig

Stage 2 of Trip Computer - Temperature Sensors

The trip computer came with temp sensors, but waterproofing the outdoor one in a 'OE' way was always going to be a challenge, however a bit of googling turned out that its quite a common sensor, used for lots of electrical projects, often used on Raspberry Pi projects, and people already manufacture the same sensor in a stainless waterproof tube, sealed and heatshrunk, with 1m of wire. For £2.50 each it was a no brainer, rather than try and make my own waterproof housings!

35770096932_9a216c8f3a_c.jpg

IMG_8922 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

The sensors that came with the kit, soldering onto them, and making them waterproof was too much hassle, so have been replaced with these:

35131142313_cb1caf9ba8_z.jpg

learn_raspberry_pi_temp_probe by cRaig's205, on Flickr

The external sensor, as suggested, has been fitted into the underside of the passenger mirror. A hole the exact size of the sensor was drilled, and simply pushed into place. The wire feeds out in the same fashion as the OE heated mirror wiring.

Peugeot left a little channel for wires, so they dont interfere with the movement of the mirror during adjustment

35552097390_2ac1895788_c.jpg

IMG_8915A by cRaig's205, on Flickr

35808446111_9f95e88ba5_c.jpg

IMG_8912 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

35940582615_03767d1ac9_c.jpg

IMG_8911 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Looks fairly subtle I recon! I was going to paint the sensor black, but paint adds insulation, and to be honest, it doesnt bother me that much!

Internal one has been fitted to the centre console, next to the maplight/ central locking, and siliconed into place.

35100505324_b4e999a1b9_c.jpg

IMG_8916 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

35131141993_251a17160b_c.jpg

IMG_8919 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

A small hole in the plastic crease of the console has been drilled, directly below the sensor, so it gets a little airflow. Not essential, but I figured it might help with the temperature sensor response time.

Mocked up the wiring, and it works! :) As you can see my living room is quite chilly at the moment lol!

35552309070_34b3566f26_c.jpg

IMG_8926 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Next job, loom and fitting it all, quite looking forward :)

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

eddie bullit

Excellent Craig! Well done.

cRaig

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with how the trip comp is going so far, should be quite a tidy install and shouldn't stand out too much. :)

Another question- how easy is it to add wires to the door loom plugs? Are they standard JPT pins? I'd quite like to run the wires to the mirror sensor through the big door plug, so the wires aren't an obvious addition.

AndyCrom

I used a door connection set from a scrappy 306 and removed the pins needed and added those to the standard 205gti door connection when I needed the additional connections for auto close windows.

With a bit of gentle tweeking by a pin pointed miniature screwdriver to push the lock tab into the pins own recess will enable you to get the 306 pins from its connector then just bend the same lock tab back out and slide it into the 205's door connector housing

Edited by AndyCrom

cRaig

Thanks, that's a good suggestion, will look into it when the weather improves and I fancy visiting a scrapyard! :D

Another question- does anyone have a suitable 306 wiring diagram? I'd like to know the pin order for the speed sensor, obviously it has a earth, power and data feed from the 3 pins, but I would like to know the correct order now, so I can sort the wire colours/numbers.

Cheers

Craig

Daviewonder

VSS.jpg

Hope this helps :) I'd possibly ignore the pin 9 ecu bit though as it was for my 2.0 turbo management.

Edited by Daviewonder
  • Like 1

cRaig

Thanks for the pin drawing, very useful, will pop the pins into the plug and finish off the loom soon. :)

Have got the screen fitted in the car. Some of the trim behind which normally holds the clock had to be trimmed back, but nothing major. I'm quite pleased. Doesn't look that far from standard, and the buttons don't particularly draw attention. I'm slightly worried that the viewing angle for the LCD wont be ideal, but the 205 has always had that problem with the radio/clock so there is nothing unusual there! :D

35551664980_50edb8b557_c.jpg

IMG_8931 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Both temperature sensors are now fitted, just in the process of sorting the wiring between them back to the control unit. The plan is to put it in the void behind the center console/behind the radio, as the length of the display cable is the limiting factor.

Power will be supplied by the clock plug, as usefully it provides a constant, switched live and an earth. As well as a lights on/illumination feed, which can also be fed into the control box for a "lights not on" warning if wanted.

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

farmer

Craig

How do you find radio signal of your cassette player?

I had an interesting chat with a parts manager I know today about them.

Dariooo

Craig, why you hadn't put the display of trip computer into the dash speedo? Example under the rpm gauge?

I also probability will by this gauge, I like it :)

4avr200415ralentiapres1q.jpg

• Like 1

Dariooo

Craig, I made some simulation in relations 1:1. I have at home one speedo and I had dismounted it and put it in scanner. I had put the exactly dimensions of rpm gauge and also the trip display. I think the dimensions (15.6 x 53.6mm) are the dimensions of display?

And the results:

gauge.jpg

What you think? :)

Slo

Would look better in orange to match the rest or even a colour choice but yeah I like that it looks really neat

cRaig

Yep, the standard is a black LCD with orange digits, which would match the rev counter cluster much better. I think its a nice place to put it, certainly more visible, but I fancied somewhere a bit more original, and to an extent subtle. I'd like to see how you get on though! :)

acox99

E30 bmw a trip computer as an option in place of the clock. More of an oe position for the 80's.

Miles

Another option on the door plugs but rare, Are the Gentry and some Dirty Derv's top spec models with electric heated door mirror will give you 2 extra wires

matty_gti

Where did you get that trip computer? Looking lovely :)

Maso

What he said... :) With orange illumination. I am on the list (depending on price)

Im interested if in orange but can live with it being green as well if there ís no orange illumnination. Price is also interesting as well.

Edited by Maso

Maso

Finally got around to making the stencil to finish off the engine bay 'details' :D The paint code was kindly traced by Tom Fenton, then I drew it up on CAD, and used the uni laser cutter to make a few.

wp000409.jpg

I have spares, so anyone with a laser green who wants one, give me a shout. :)

Im interested.

Maso

Hello Craig,

You've mentioned AC installation in your car. I am super curious to what system you will use as I am very interested to retrofit this to my 205 as well.

Maso

Picked up a few other shiney bits while she was in the bodyshop, including some refurbished speedlines from a chap off here, Tony205 if I remember.

dscn1193lo3.jpg

dscf2207bt7.jpg

Also aquired some aircon parts.. a plan was forming lol smile.gif

dscn1141xn7.jpg

dscn1151zm8.jpg

dscn1154rv5.jpg

From where did you aquire the AC system, off which car? Is it a OEM 205 system`? Hard to come across? I am very interested in installing AC in my car. All help is of interest in what one can look for and use.

cRaig

Lots of question! :D

Where did you get that trip computer? Looking lovely :)

Its made by a company called Reveltronics, they have a website, or sell them through ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Trip-Computer-UTCOMP-FUEL-METER-GAUGE-AFR-BOOST-MPG-and-more-/301069877698?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461929c1c2

Im interested.

I'm currently low on stock of paint stencils, but am planning to do another batch soon. (I may well have some green in stock, I will check)

Hello Craig,

You've mentioned AC installation in your car. I am super curious to what system you will use as I am very interested to retrofit this to my 205 as well.

Its a standard A/C system fitted to the 205 in the factory (it wasn't a very common option, so is quite rare) my system came from a car which spent its life out in Hong kong, and was imported back, but was sadly badly damaged in the port so was broken for spares. Nearly all 205s in Australia have A/C, for example.

I'm sure it would be possible to modify an A/C system to fit from a more modern car, but with a little effort and ingenuity most of the 205 parts can be found fairly easily. I still have got to source a compressor for mine (either new or refurbished) and get the wiring working, but the A/C is on hold at the moment for the more useful powersteering and fuel computer mods! :)

• Like 1

Maso

Lots of question! :D

Its made by a company called Reveltronics, they have a website, or sell them through ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Trip-Computer-UTCOMP-FUEL-METER-GAUGE-AFR-BOOST-MPG-and-more-/301069877698?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461929c1c2

I'm currently low on stock of paint stencils, but am planning to do another batch soon. (I may well have some green in stock, I will check)

Its a standard A/C system fitted to the 205 in the factory (it wasn't a very common option, so is quite rare) my system came from a car which spent its life out in Hong kong, and was imported back, but was sadly badly damaged in the port so was broken for spares. Nearly all 205s in Australia have A/C, for example.

I'm sure it would be possible to modify an A/C system to fit from a more modern car, but with a little effort and ingenuity most of the 205 parts can be found fairly easily. I still have got to source a compressor for mine (either new or refurbished) and get the wiring working, but the A/C is on hold at the moment for the more useful powersteering and fuel computer mods! :)

The amount of questions is your own fault for being so effective with your own car that it brings up a huge interest in all your ideas ;)

Should I wait with the order of the tripcomputer for a group buy?

If you do come across a AC system please tell me. Will see if I can come across this oem system.

Daviewonder

How's the exhaust paint holding up Craig? I've bought new exhausts for several of mine and wouldn't mind preserving them.

cRaig

It has suffered a bit where the downpipe joins the manifold, due to the heat. after the first few inches its holding up pretty well. If I was doing it again, I might try something else, but obviously heat resistant paints adds costs etc, its a balance I guess.

No other progress to report at the moment really, back at uni and havent got the time. Am stockpiling a few interesting bits and pieces, to help progress/finish off things :D