• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

cRaig

Haha, spotted it on ebay I think. Its difficult to remember where I get all the bits of tat from! The problem I have now is last time I had a key cut, it took them two goes to make one that actually opened the lock.. Im a bit worried they will ruin it! I suspect I may end up keeping it in blank form lol! :D

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

A smalll update, mainly to prove that occasionally (perhaps more often than not!) I really have no idea what I'm doing with the 205! :D

When I put it back on the road, I noticed a small water leak in the passenger footwell when washing it, and out in the rain. Initially thought it was the heater matrix (which was actually weeping as well lol), replaced that, didnt fix it. Then moved on to thinking it was the windscreen seal, hence replacing that and the bargainous screen at the same time. Still didnt fix it..

Narrowed the leak down to the heater fan hole, so took the scuttle panel off, and double checked the rubber seal around the round bulkhead hole. Siliconed it on to be extra sure.

STILL didnt fix it.

Had started to give up hope, when I happened to look at the car one day, I realised I could see directly through the scuttle panel down into the heater box.. Spot the obvious mistake:

8039815251_fb20c3dac4_z.jpg

At some point while the car was off the road for three years, the vent cover bonded to the back had droped off, I had kept it, as I knew it was 205 related, but couldn't for the life of me figure out where it went! Even more impressive to think I had fitted and removed the scuttle panel twice, both originally and then looking for the leak, and still didn't notice!

The upside was that I came across a mint scuttle panel off a diesel in the local scrappy, and its completely mint, even the two edge screw holes are complete! Gave it a few coats of UPOL black plastic paint, and it has come up like new. Much cheaper than the panels that have been selling on eBay for a small fortune! (Occasionally I try and save money on this car.. :ph34r::P )

8039816547_35cacb265b_z.jpg

Another small side project has commenced, can you guess what it is? :)

45133980852_14890fc03d_c.jpg

The (loooong term) plan is to canibalise a set of heated electric mirrors off a 106 GTi, and fit the insides to a pair of the 205 mirrors. Small project to keep me busy one winter, so saw the blanking plates recently on the bay, got them to put in the long term projects box in the loft lol.

My memory of 106s, poking around them a bit when I had a 1.1, is that the door handle surround plastic is identical to the 205, so the GTi spec, with the electric mirror controls should fit in with little modification, and look pretty standard: (picture from google to illustrate)

44460947264_84823f26c9_c.jpg

(If anyone is breaking, or knows of a 106 GTi being broken then please let me know, as Id love the mirrors and loom complete- havent come across any cars near enough on ebay yet)

Edited by cRaig

sensualt101

once again i am amazed at the modifications and ability to source decent oem parts you have craig. :)

as always i will follow the progress you make on the car

eddie bullit

It's gonna be a lardy arse by the time you've finished Craig! :P What y fitting next? Maybe a drinks cabinet :lol:

Edd

• Like 1

cRaig

It's gonna be a lardy arse by the time you've finished Craig! :P What y fitting next? Maybe a drinks cabinet :lol:

Edd

Haha! Perhaps :P Fortunately nothing I have done has added *too* much weight, apart from the A/C and the soundproofing. Plus if it gets too lardy I could do with a good excuse to fit the Mi16 engine :D

stufarri

Craig, you are obsessed with extras, as am I.

I too have thought about electric mirrors and 106 ones at that. I think the downside may be that the casings are formed around the mechanism though so you may have to slice one open and re-join around the 106 mechanism.

I agree that the internal handle with mirror switch will fit (ish). I bought some plain basic spec mirrors with no handles and blanking plates but then lost interest. I do need to get this going again after reading this.

cRaig

Well, if your experimenting leads anywhere, do let me know. I'll update this thread as and when I get around to trying them!

chipstick

Plus if it gets too lardy I could do with a good excuse to fit the Mi16 engine :D

I found myself reading through the first few pages of this thread again yesterday and noticed the Mi16 engine mention and wondered if you still had it.

I automatically thought you had dismissed it since due to non originality with how far it's come since.

cRaig

I did dismiss it, I struggled to move away from the character of the 8v engine. I think at some point I can see myself swapping to the Mi at some point. I did strongly consider getting rid of the Mi16, but considering it has done 20odd thousand miles from new, it seemed like an engine that I will never find another one, so it lives in the shed occasionally having oil dropped down it and turned over :)

Plus having a spare engine encourages the liklihood of me justifying a second 205 :D:P

Anthony

Plus having a spare engine encourages the liklihood of me justifying a second 205 :D:P

Look down - you see that? That's the top of the slippery slope that you're about to head down :P

• Like 6

cRaig

You seem to be doing ok somewhat further down the slope of parts hoarding.. :P

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

welshpug

About to? he's well on the way to terminal velocity :lol:

• Like 1

Miles

I'm going to throw a spanner into the works, With the ABS could you fit the later system (Brake force) which does away with the silly compensator valve, most post 2000 306's and Xsara have the system, Mind Xsara's would have gone Plex but the 306's are good

feb

I'm going to throw a spanner into the works, With the ABS could you fit the later system (Brake force) which does away with the silly compensator valve, most post 2000 306's and Xsara have the system, Mind Xsara's would have gone Plex but the 306's are good

Does this system you refer to (brake force) work on a similar principle as the 1.6 brake compensator(? - not sure what's it called) in the enginebay?

welshpug

No, its fully electronic system incorporated into the abs pump.

cybernck

EBD - Electronic Brake Distribution.

That's exactly the same plan I've had for the mirrors :).

• Like 1

brian j

I considered it with mine, but there was a split of opinions on whether the balance would be right, being as the EBD is calibrated for the 306, so I played it safe.

• Like 1

cRaig

Yeah, regarding the ABS/EBD I just went with Brian's advice/experience :) Wasnt too worried about EBD, the bosch ABS system should be more than good enough on its own, without being too intrusive.

Well, it trundles on with the beam situation, am now in regular correspondance with them regarding the several issues with the quality of their work!

(the bold statements are bullet points from their letter rejecting that there is anything wrong with their workmanship, my provisional responses are below)

1. "Our company was not made aware of any fault at the time of the customer's realisation that something was wrong."

The car was first put on the road with the rebuilt axle on the 25th of June 2012, and as soon as I was made aware of the faults with the axle, we contacted yourselves (Initial letter dated 31st July 2021). During the time between our initial business in September 2009 and June 2012, the car was stored off-road, and I was unaware of the faults with the axle.

2. “The goods were not returned assembled to us so were not given the opportunity to examine more closely the assembled parts.”

Given the fact that the beam had previously been returned to you, as it was initially assembled with a bent beam tube (second invoice ref 062573) I had personally lost confidence with your company's ability to resolve the matter. I therefore approached a well-respected beam assembler, with experience of over 60axle jobs. He was instructed to document the disassembly and produce a report of the condition and his opinion of the axle. Both have been retained.

3. “The vehicle was never brought back in to check the ride height.”

At no point during our business, either in person or writing, did you instruct that the axle height was "provisional" and therefore needed checking. I can confirm that the ride height is set independently of the car, and is simply a measurement set between the damper mounting bolt holes. This can be set accurately and reliably without need to reset or recheck it once the axle is on the vehicle.

4. “All work was carried out by verbal instruction including measurement of the beam height.”

The instruction may well have been verbal, but given the fact that your first invoice (ref 061794) states "PRESS APART AXLE RIDE HEIGHT 330.5mm. REFURBISH AXLE", this suggests that the correct ride height was comprehended by yourselves. Our report states that the beam was set 45-50mm lower than this figure. Regardless of the initial instruction being verbal, your invoice states the correct Peugeot book figure, which you failed to set the beam at.

5. “All the parts were sent away for cleaning and powder-coating by the customer.”

I am unsure of the relevance of this statement? The parts which are damaged, such as the trailing arm shafts were bought new, by yourself from Peugeot (part number 515617 SHAFTS REAR) as referenced on your invoice 061794. The fact that the parts were powdercoated has no bearing on the damage to the parts, the incorrect ride height or the missing seals.

6. “Relating to the photographs we find it hard to believe these are the same parts that was fitted to the axle"

You will be pleased to hear that all components removed from the axle have been retained by ourselves, and can be made available for your inspection.

Any thoughts? Cant see how they can ignore my quite clear responses lol.

Juttie205

My god talk about passing the buck

cRaig

Tell me about it. I was quite stressed and angry when this whole thing kicked off, but now Im quite enjoying it, as I find it quite satisfying to pick holes in their argument and notice glaring mistakes and omissions in their written statements! I mean.. stating the fact that the bits were powdercoated (before they assembled it) is somehow responsible for the shoddy workmanship! Talk about clutching at straws..

tartanbloke

It may be advantageous to involve Trading Standards as this company may be known to them already?

The Supply of Goods and Services Act is very clear and concise in relation to the implied terms of quality and fit for purpose, which it was not.

Kind regards

Chris

• Like 1

cRaig

Well, Kev the dent man is booked for this Sunday. Fingers crossed he can fix it! Failing that I guess Im going to have to start asking around at local bodywork repair places to see if I can find somewhere decent. Would really like it fixed before next month as the car is off to the NEC Classic Car Show with the PSCUK :) 16th-18th of November, should be a good weekend if anyone is planning on going? :)

http://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/index.php

cRaig

Also gathered another couple of interesting bits for the mirrors:

106 GTi Door handle surround, with switch. Also came with shiny chrome (effect) door handle, which as it looks identical to the 205 ones, I may source a passenger side one and swap them both over as something a little different, small more modern touch to go with the electric mirrors.

35956033971_48a8d3f704_c.jpg

IMG_5165 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Secondly, a non-adjustable mirror from a base model 205. Bought cheap in order to dismantle and see the best way of removing the adjuster handle and provide a good spare carcass for cutting them about.

35956031941_91c97ea23c_c.jpg

IMG_5167 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

First problem to overcome.. the surround doesn't fit because its too close the speaker grill! D'oh. I think with some careful modding to the plastic speaker cover a OE looking solution can be found :) Need to check clearance for the speaker etc etc, but I'm sure I can figure something out.

45183451831_eed9023041_c.jpg

Edited by cRaig

cybernck

Or perhaps shorten the handle surround by cutting out the part between the handle hole and the mirror adjustment knob.

• Like 2