• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

stufarri

I was looking at 106 GTI mirrors last night and I'm thinking of buying a few scruffy ones to have play about with too.

I think the 205 mirrors are made by moulding the plastic around the alloy mechanism which means cutting them in half is the only way to get into them.

Looks a pain of a job, but something to keep you and I busy over winter Craig.

dave richards

would a picture of a standard 205 mirror with the glass removed help? I am sure I saw one earlier in a scrapyard not too far from me

cRaig

That would be helpful :) My first plan of attack was to remove the glass, as it needs replacing, to get a better idea of what is going on inside the mechanism

cRaig

Finally got around to making the stencil to finish off the engine bay 'details' :D The paint code was kindly traced by Tom Fenton, then I drew it up on CAD, and used the uni laser cutter to make a few.

35249076564_8d0ac677ac_c.jpg

WP_000406 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

I have spares, so anyone with a laser green who wants one, give me a shout. :)

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

(Sad and anal update alert)

The stencil worked a treat! :) Thanks to Tom Fenton again for the trace copy to work from.

8127841403_8b3b803a10_c.jpg

Engine bay that little bit more complete now ;)

8127866720_5dfce39644_c.jpg

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 3

jonXS

looks minty fresh lol :P :P

i do like it lots and lots

cybernck

I dare you to actually use the car! :lol:

P.S. I've just figured out you don't have power assisted steering! You must add that to your specs list ;).

cRaig

One of these days... I have quite bad elbows (slowly degenerating, they suspect I will have arthritis by the age of 30ish) so I am already regretting not fitting PAS! :D

I also do use the car! Its already approaching half of the annual milage of 3000, and its only been on the road a few months :)

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

Well, Kev the dent man did his best on the quarter panel damage, but sadly just as he was folding the seam back into the wheel arch the paint split :( Its no surprise really as it was an ambitious repair to attempt. Its certainly alot better than it was, and the metal has tucked back into the seam very nicely. Just needs a little filler and some seam sealer on the back to reseal the join. I was genuinely impressed with his work, really nice chap, wouldnt hesitate to recommend him.

The fortunate thing is with the damage being where it is, it can be blended easily up the black arch trim, and then along to the door, it really should look fine when its done.

Am currently attempting to get it painted before the NEC show, as it looks a bit s*it at the moment!

Arguably it looks less terrible in person, the flash shows it up really badly, but the photos are for the chap quoting to paint it, so I thought worst case scenario is best!

8135725684_fa8816d374_c.jpg

8135703259_bf61ca5b92_c.jpg

Didnt think it would be back in the bodyshop this soon!

Edited by cRaig

erbs

is this car a labour of love or what??

Is it a money no object rebuild, i can't imagine how much has been spent on this car, looks nice now

Now just drive it, enjoy it

Daviewonder

Where's that photo taken Craig?

Slo

It wouldnt surprise me if it was his bedroom lol

• Like 1

welshpug

nice Miami :D

chipstick

nice Miami :D

:lol: :lol: Yeah - when you said you were looking for a bodyshop as you needed a little bit of paint doing I didn't realise you were going for a full colour change!

cRaig

Yup, it turns out that laser green photographs VERY badly under halogen light, it really does look blue! :D I tried adjusting the colour balance in photoshop but couldnt improve it much. Was a good weekend out though:) Was bizarre driving in to the NEC in the little 205 following 'proper' classics like Morgans and Ferraris! :D However there was certainly a fair share of intrerest in the club and the cars, alot of people remember them fondly, or have one tucked up in the garage and are planning to get it back on the road etc.

Car even made it onto the EVO gallery of the NEC show:

http://www.evo.co.uk...w_gallery.html#

http://www.evo.co.uk...p?o=1&id=554278

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 2

cRaig

Hello, me again!

Long time no speak.. Well, I can proudly report that the 205 is tucked up on SORN at the moment! :unsure: It wasnt the plan, but Ive been working away from home, and havent really had the time to justify tax/MOT/ insurance in order to enjoy the 205 out on the road. While it is another summer spent without the 205, it does give me an oppurtunity to pull my finger out and "finish" the long list of mods/alterations I have been planning/ talking about for a long time. I cant be the only one who gets the insurance certificate and tax disk in my grubby mitts, and then any inclination for anything other than essential maintenence goes out of the window! Driving is much more fun!

Anyway, I have been gathering bits and pieces for the various (pointless and stupid) modifications I have been mulling over during the several years of ownership:

1. Finish the bloody Aircon setup.

This has been ongoing for the longest, as this was already started before it met the hedge backwards. It is pretty close to being finished, the plan is to get a recon, or possibly a new compressor depending on cost. I am also thinking about upgrading to a slightly more modern compressor from a 405/BX/XM- a Sanden S709, which can be had new for around £250. Then its a case of finishing the plumbing to the compressor, and gas it and see how we get on!

2. ABS

As the looon term plan is head towards griffe-a-like exterior (I think everyone with a laser green eventually heads that way, no? :D ) I would like to install ABS, as it faithfully replicates the euro-griffe spec, namely the addition of ABS. Rather than install the fairly hopeless 2channel system, I've gathered all the relevant bits from a 306.

The rear bearings have already been fitted now, and the rest of the parts have been amassed, and "should" be a relatively straightforward install. The totally isolated loom makes the wiring nice and easy, with the only headache being the brake pipework, namely working out where everything goes, and then ensuring the pipework ends up being nice and straight!

35249306194_9877c6496d_c.jpg

IMG_6530 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

35698754590_70d29c98e9_c.jpg

IMG_6697 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

35783679952_f23764680b_c.jpg

IMG_4483 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

35783644382_0aff56cc70_c.jpg

IMG_4485 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Loom to be cleaned up, naturally! :D So it is a combination of 205 ABS hubs, with new 29-tooth outer CVs from a ZX, 306 ABS rear bearings and stub axles, with spacer washers, 306 rear caliper brackets, 205 disc protectors, then coupled with new Bosch 306 sensors, load compensator and a second-hand ABS pump/controller and loom from a 306 diesel estate.

3. PAS

Its not something I ever particularly wanted for the 205, as I do enjoy the standard steering, but unfortunately my elbows are pretty knackered, and are only going to get worse as time goes on, so eventually a Xsara VTS Ph1 rack was tracked down, and Mr Fenton is going to give it a once over with regards to bearings before it goes in. Havent got any other pics of the PAS stuff at the moment but naturally all the bracketry will be zinc plated, and a new reservior bottle has been purchaced from Pug, will compliment the rest of the engine nicely. :)

4. Trip Computer

A cool little mod I have come accross fairly recently- a trip/fuel computer. Basically it recieves a signal from a vehicle speed sensor (or an output from an ABS controller) and piggybacks the injector wire signal, and uses the data (after calibration) to calculate the instant and average fuel economy. Also has several other cool features, such as indoor and outdoor temperature thermometers (with ice warning), countdown to a service indicator, etc etc etc

Rather than complicate the ABS install, I have decided to get a 306 S16 speedo drive housing, with the dual output, both mechanical and electrical outputs. Once it is fitted and calibrated, it should be as accurate for fuel consumption as any OE manufacturer install, as it works in exactly the same way- using injector signal and speed :)

35698814190_5f77a235a4_b.jpg

utcomp3_green by cRaig's205, on Flickr

The fantastic thing is that it is USB plug-and-play with regards to modifying the readings/calibrations, and you can easily customise the data it displays, with a split screen display :) As you can see my test below has instant MPG, speed, average MPG and the time showing, but that can be swapped and changed in seconds.

wpy2.jpg

Ive also got it displaying in negative green, so it looks suitably 90s, but compliments the green 205 interior. As you can see, the display is slightly larger than the OE clock, so the plan is to canibalise the surround (or 3D print a new one to house the larger screen) So will be a nice subtle addition.

6rrv.jpg

Most importantly you can install a custom start up bitmap.. so half an hour of headscratching in photoshop (not used to working with such tiny resolutions, or old-school formats! :D) and I had this masterpiece!

35824366691_9d46b6965f_c.jpg

drive test by cRaig's205, on Flickr

(I was tempted to go with POWER, BEAUTY, SOUL, like Aston Martin, but its just too gay! :P)

I have also got another couple of things up my sleeves, namely continuing with the electric windows, and a plan involving a mechanical/electric combined system to open the rear quater windows remotely, based on the 309 setup.. more to come shortly.. ;)

I've also been a tart and fitted some yellow SIEM driving lights and a genuine green gearknob top. Looking suitably french now.

35956623045_fcf61d59af_c.jpg

IMG_9835 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

35956624155_3b03406a11_c.jpg

IMG_6925 by cRaig's205, on Flickr

Hopefully can finish collecting the last bits I need, and then will hopefully get all this stuff nailed in over autumn/winter before the start of summer next year.. We shall see!

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

Anthony

Looks great Craig :D

The trip computer looks to be an interesting touch and something I've pondered doing myself - you could argue that it's completely ill-suited to a car like a 205 GTi of course, but I can't help but be drawn to playing with them in any car that I drive which has one fitted. That looks to be a nice compact unit that should match the rest of the interior quite well with the BX clocks etc as well.

cRaig

Yep, its small, subtle, and has a suitably retro LCD screen! :D While its perhaps not entirely suted to the 205, other cars of the era, such as the ZX (had it as an optional "onboard computer" I believe?) had them fitted, and anything with fuel injection is already modern enough for it to work. The reason I went for it, is mainly because its a really well researched product, which has had a lot of thought put into it, and when installed shouldnt look out of place- particularly as you can leave it displaying the time, if preferred.

Knowing average and instant MPG is quite a useful feature, particularly for longer trips. As is indoor/outdoor temps! Will help me feel more smug when the A/C is working :D (or can be used to identify when it stops working, more likely! :P)

The list of things it can do is fairly endless.. monitor battery voltage etc etc

Another little test showing the variety of displays:

31309206058_43424dc6d2_c.jpg

Edited by cRaig

Anthony

You got a link for that particular one Craig, as like I said, it looks like a far nicer and more compact setup than most "DIY" ones I've seen?

I've got far better things I should be doing with my time and energies, but I love tinkering with gadgets like that...

cRaig

You know it makes sense.. everyone loves pointless little gadgets :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300932272125?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 Thats the one Ive gone for, like you say, others are available, which do similar things, but the thought that has gone into this little thing is really impressive, it comes with software to alter all the paramters, and unlike most small-fry software undertakings, this one is simple and intuitive to use, and the instructions are clear, legible and easy to follow, not badly translated from chineese, like alot of cheap electronic gadgets :D

If anyone else goes for one, I am tempted to look into modelling and 3d printing a new plastic clock surround, to house the bigger screen. If anyone wants one, let me know, as I can get more made and costs can be split :)

cRaig

Also, if anyone knows the VSS constant figure (in meters per impulse) and Injector fuel injection amount (in litres/sec) for the 205 1.9 yellow injectors, and the 306 S16 speedo housing respectively, that would help in setting up the fuel comp :)

timoth123

Good god man!!!!

I'm currently doing a full nut and bolt rebuild on mine, and if I can get anywhere near the outcome of what you've achieved there I would be the happiest bloke alive!!

Give yourself a massive pat on the back mate! She's gorgeous!

• Like 1

jackherer

IIRC the VSS is one pulse per revolution so it's whatever the circumference of your tyre is.

• Like 1