• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

cRaig

:D

Retest booked in for Friday lunchtime, which gives me a few days to try and fix it. (todays job, try and fit the seal myself, if that fails, tomorrow's job get a exchange caliper, if that fails, thursday, take it to the garage and get them to fix it:D)

• Like 1

chipstick

Can tell you've been working on a Peugeot for a while. Back up plans of varying directions in a schedule are a must :lol:

• Like 2

cRaig

Haha, always have a backup plan! The caliper is now off, and the piston is in the freezer, if I cant get it fitted by this afternoon I shall order a recon caliper next day delivery. Ive figured it is probabally cheaper to pay for the caliper, and get it fitted and done, rather than have to pay for another full MOT (when did they get so expensive!!?)

cRaig

Changed the seal on the rear caliper and now its leaking worse than it was before! :D Brakes clearly arent my forte.. New caliper ordered, life is too short, just want to drive the damn thing now!

The front caliper still seems to be dragging slightly, and I am still vary wary to take the piston out, as getting it over the dust seal (306 gti6 caliper) was a nightmare of a job that I ended up getting someone else to do.

Is there anything I can do about it before risking the MOT again? Will a drive and some heavy braking help loosen it up? I dont really want the cost of replacing that caliper as well, as there (theoretically) shouldnt be much wrong with it!!

Craig

allye

I would take the long route to the station and give the brakes some abuse/ride them to get them nice and warm.

Tom Fenton

Driving will only make a sticky caliper worse. I have freed sticky pistons off before by carefully pulling the dust boot back spraying some duck oil in and then working the piston in/out by pumping it out and pushing it back.

Slo

Me too works fine but will be a bitch to get the piston back in the first couple of times if its dry and stuck up with s*ite but that method is by far the easiest

cRaig

Well, somewhat as a distraction from finishing off the car (over three years, its good to have side projects to keep you entertained for the long slog!) I joined Aussie Frogs, and began exchanges with a nice chap restoring a 205 near Sydney, when it occurred to me, he had lots of aircon parts, but was really struggling with the main dash parts, namely the clock surround, and the centre console around the heater dials- as they seem to crack and disintegrate in the harsh hot climate.

So we came to a deal where we would each ship over the bits to help the other, no cash changed hands! Sending out a couple of dash clock surrounds in a big box wasn't cheap! But worth it when this nice pile of A/C bits arrived back today. :)

44461580654_6f19defe27_c.jpg

Slightly different heater controls, namely the recirc function for when the A/C is on, but I've wanted the right one for ages!

30245227347_3905e0d40c_c.jpg

Ive now got enough parts (excluding loom, twin fans and a condenser, but those bits are a fairly easy to sort- regarding the loom, I shall just copy the one I have from scratch) to make two full A/C sets. Will either come in handy for spare parts, or go nicely with the A/C equipped Mi16 engine that is still resting in the shed :D

More pressingly.. the post should be here tomorrow, and can sort the brakes :)

Craig

Edited by cRaig

sensualt101

now thats an avenue to get spares i wouldnt have thought of craig. :)

i hope you sort out the teething troubles and get on the road soon! is pugfest a reality?

cRaig

Driving will only make a sticky caliper worse. I have freed sticky pistons off before by carefully pulling the dust boot back spraying some duck oil in and then working the piston in/out by pumping it out and pushing it back.

Regarding the duck oil- is there any alternatives I could use? Would good old WD40 be ok? I cant seem to find anywhere that sells duck oil around here.

The rear caliper has arrived, so at least I can sort that problem, and have pushed the MOT back until monday, as I didnt think the caliper would arrive in time.

Craig

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

Okay, have found a local supplier of duck oil, shall get some in the morning- next question (in my longwinded backup plan to get this bloody car through an MOT lol)

Does anyone have a registration number for a car that originally had the 306 GTi6 57mm lucas brakes fitted? When searching on autopart places it suggests the 306 2.0 petrol is fitted with 54mm piston front brakes- if push comes to shove Id like to know if I can get a caliper from somewhere on monday morning!

Cheers

Craig

Tom Fenton

T98UHR was my old Xsara VTS.

cRaig

Still seems to be coming up with a 54mm lucas caliper.. http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Citroen_Xsara+Coupe_2.0_1999/p/car-parts/car-brakes/brake-hydraulics/brake-caliper/?133735431&1&f2fd0b9fabeb3bba20a00b92a96d2d5db79d13c5&000048

May try calling the local motor factors, its not really worth trying to speak to carparts4less

Anthony

R884 CGU is a 1997 306 GTi-6. The system online parts suppliers use is somewhat flawed though, as you've discovered...

Worse comes to it, I've got a pair of 283mm 306 calipers here that you're welcome to borrow to put on the car and get it MOT'd whilst you fix or source another caliper. They work fine and are comparitively new, with good Ferodo pads, so I really don't envisage any issue with passing an MOT with them

• Like 1

cRaig

Thanks for the patience and support guys, it is appreciated :)

Anthony- thanks for the offer- I should know by the start of the weekend if the duckoil will work on the sticky caliper, if it doesnt I shall give you a shout and will see about heading over to Swindon, which means trying to convince the other half to give me a lift! Still, will be worth it to get this thing on the road finally :)

Cheers for now

Craig

Zara

I love this car soooooooooooooo much! :D:wub: very nice work!

cRaig

Brakes now work as the should. Finally! :D

Thanks everyone for their help- particularly Tom Fenton & Anthony (the duck oil worked a treat!) Can finally book Pugfest tickets as I am fairly confident it should get through the MOT now. :)

Edited by cRaig

sensualt101

well done craig! :) after 3 years i am sure it will be great just to drive your amazing car again! i look forward to hearing the mot man approves and gives you a well deserved certificate!

cRaig

Drove it around the block to get it on a level road to take the photos required by the insurance company now it has finally stopped raining, was taking a pic of the engine bay when it dawned on me just how much it has changed since the day I bought it back in Feb 2008. Longwinded indeed! While it’s had its ups and downs, considering I honestly hadn’t even changed the oil or a spark plug on a car before I bought this (rather sheddy looking 205!), I think it’s been a pretty productive 4 years! :D

7434994162_a966062830_b.jpg

7435186330_491339d8da_b.jpg

7435187392_ccd6495256_b.jpg

Gotta love those seats!! :D

I know it’s a bit cliché to say, but I really couldn't have done this with without you guys and the forum in general! From parts, skills and services offered up to simple words of encouragement and patient problem solving help, it really is a fantastic resource.

There really are too many people to thank individually, but particular thanks to:

Miles (for rebuilding the engine and gearbox)

Tom Fenton for supplying a last minute beam tube, reconditioning the steering rack and providing some top-notch fabrication for the stainless bumper spacers!)

Anthony (for a long steam of parts and reliable and quick knowledge when it came to solving many things I didn’t know or had forgotten along the way!)

SuperJosh for invaluable help with the A/C..

Chipstick for yet more parts diligently posted! The list just goes on and on...So many other people I have bought fantastic parts from and received great help from- please don’t be offended if I can’t remember you all! :D

Hope some of you are at Pugfest and we can have a beer or two! (Assuming it manages to get me there!!)

Craig

Edited by cRaig

stufarri

Awesome thread mate, well done - very jealous.

Get that accelerator pedal painted as the last part of the project!

cRaig

Well spotted :D Its on the to do list.. (although part of me is tempted not to paint it.. looking at the pictures it may well be the only bit that is the same in the before and after photos!:D)

There is still a long "snagging list" to sort, its nowhere near finished yet.. :ph34r::lol:

Edited by cRaig

GeorgeXS

Looks amazing craig, fantastic effort bringing it back to that standard!

welshpug

no go learn how to drive it :P

• Like 2

cRaig

Passed the MOT this lunchtime. :) Now just need to tax it!

• Like 4

Anthony

Great news! Get it taxed and get out there and enjoy the fruit of your labour :)

(trying to keep it shiny side up and out of the scenery this time ;) )