• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

cRaig

They are quite a bit wider than the standard alloys, indeed. Its also running 195 tyres. The front suspension is also very new, nd should settle in a little once its done some miles, as its sitting rather high (plus the back is too low- that will be raised at some point) which will help level it out.

It did take me a while to get used to them, and I still certainly like the standard speedlines a great deal- but these are so shiny in the flesh its hard not to love them :D

• Like 1

chipstick

I take your word for it. Just looked a bit of a generic font that's all.

This logo of the word is more how I would of expected it to look.

Speedline-logo-740681AF4F-seeklogo.com.gif

I have a vinyl cutter if you do decide you ever want to change them :ph34r:

Daviewonder

Looks like a tidy example, should make a nice base for a project.

:P

Seriously though, you should be very proud mate, it looks awesome!

• Like 2

Tom Fenton

Open the box with care when they do arrive, that tracing paper is inside.

• Like 1

feb

I have just ej@$&lated looking at these pics! :wub: I think it's simply the best restored 205 with original parts on here.

Hats off for the persistence of working for ~3 years(!!!) in a car without being able to drive it but the end result speaks for itself!

You ought to be really proud of your work!

I'd love to see this in the flesh!

Edited by feb

bluesleeper

My hat is also off to you! This has been an amazing thread and you should be very proud of what you have acheived! I hope to see it in the flesh at pugfest, although I might be greener than your paint! I am sooooooo jelous! :wub: :wub:

Daniel185

savage. credit to you

Alan77

Best thread on here, simply stunning attention to detail. Fair play for sticking with it...

cRaig

Well, sorting through the 'to do list' slowly

twin cooling fans working (red plug to fan relays not connected)

investigate mysterious tapping noise coming from the head (turned out to be a loose exhaust manifold stud)

air hoses fitted properly with slam panel snorkel in place

and left to do:

investigate dash guage warning lights

set the tracking

bleed the brakes

ignition timing (how on earth do you get a timing light down to the timing hole with the AFM in place?!)

Hopefully can get it MOT'd next week, although it might be a struggle as most places seemed quite busy with the bank holiday

lewis205cti

Looking amazing mate. Credit to all your hard work and the detail put into it.

cRaig

Well, bleeding the brakes is proving to be a challenge.. and Im not really sure why. It all appears ok when pressurised up with the ezi-bleed kit, but then when I open the first nipple on the rear caliper, nothing comes out! I guess that suggests a leak somewhere? But everything before that point seems ok. Its a new 406 master cylinder, so that should be ok. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.. Also there are no rear compensators fitted, as often they are a common culprit I believe.

Getting a bit despondent now, wish I hadnt bothered insuring it.

Edited by cRaig

Tom Fenton

If it is all new pipes sometimes they are tricky to get going. The Easibleed may be putting enough pressure down to shut off the compensators to the rear.

Try leaving it for a few hours with plenty of fluid in the master cyl and with a bleed nipple open. You may well find it will gravity bleed itself well enough to then allow you to finish it off. Personally I've never had much luck with the Easibleed kit, but try letting a tyre right down to only 5psi then try with it again.

The other possibility is that the pushrod in the servo is adjusted wrong which is holding the 406 master off getting to fully closed, this blocks off the fluid transfer ports so doesn't let any fluid through. Check this by slackening the 2 nuts holding the master right off then physically pull the master towards you (leave all pipes attached). If you then get fluid through there is your problem.

cRaig

Thanks, I shall try those suggestions- I didnt adjust the rod in the servo, so that could well be the culprit. Is it a certainty that it needs adjusting when swapping to a 406 master cylinder, and if so, how much do you adjust it by?

Will go try some of the other nipples to see if its a total lack of fluid that is the problem.

Craig

chipstick

There is going to be an awful lot of air in your system for obvious reasons. I personally never got on with the easibleed kits either. Try it with some pipe manually with an assistant and see if you can get any movement from the reservoir to suggest it's making its way through the pipe. Have you popped another nipple to see if you are getting fluid through there?

Don't let this hinder you.

cRaig

Well, I have narrowed the problem down to the nearside rear caliper/flexi, as all of the other calipers have fluid through fine, and when I cracked off the brass union just before the nearside rear flexi fluid came through.

Will have to remove the rear caliper and see if I can figure out what is wrong! I was very careful when cleaning/painting them up to mask/leave nipples in etc, so I cant see how they would have got blocked up, maybe a little crud left in them has blocked the bleeding hole.

Craig

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

Todays lesson: make sure you remove all of the blue paper stuffed in to protect the threads while painting the calipers prior to reassembly :D Now just got to reassemble and bleed properly :)

• Like 2

chipstick

You've got to love the feeling you get when you realise silly mistakes like that :blush: Onwards and upwards!

cRaig

Yep, its part anger for being such a tool and part relief for it being an easy fix! :D Now just got to get motivated to put it all back together!

Tom Fenton

You wouldn't be the first or last to do something like that.

Years ago my mate and I spent about 3 days trying to get a 205 1.9 going. We went through the wiring with a toothcomb, belled wires out, changed about everything you can imagine, towed the f***er up and down the road trying to tow it off, you name it we tried it.

The cause in the end? A big wodge of blue paper towel in the inlet put there whilst the engine was out to stop dust getting in.

• Like 1

cRaig

Yeah, its certainly easy to miss things, especially over a few years- its a stuggle to remember where bits are, never mind how they fit to the 205!

Still, the brakes are done now, so all is left is the tracking and MOT. Will go and see the local garage tomorrow, and see about booking a test.

Another milestone, the 205 moved under its own steam for the first time in years! Admittidly only up and down the driveway (a few metres :D) Still, its a start. Idles well, and sounds alot more healthy now the loose exhaust manifold has been sorted! Fans work ok, so everything seems ready for a drive out. Scary stuff!

Craig

Slo

Now just dont crash it

• Like 1

allye

Now just dont crash it

:lol: haha amazing.

The first drive is going to be a arse twitching experience and you'll be swearing at anything that comes within a 10m radius of it!

cRaig

If I had a pound for everytime I heard that.. :ph34r::lol:

Yep- it was stressful enough getting it out of the garage! :D Still, once the first scratch/stonechip is over and done with, Its generally not as bad agonising over the paintwork.

chipstick

I think you will actually end up bored with it being in one piece on the road.

Perhaps you may secretly negotiate a bollard in a car park or something as an excuse to strip it down again :lol:

Awaits the 'Parking ticket left a sticky residue on my windscreen - time for a reshell' project thread.

• Like 2