• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

cRaig

I bought it from a seller on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290546828703?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) but according to wes205mi, it leaks when its up to pressure. I havent tested mine yet, or heard back if he managed to overcome the problem. Might be worth sending him a PM before buying one?

my stant radiator cap doesn't fit, it leaks coolant all over the place. thought i would tell you before you run yours up, dont want that nice clean engine getting dirty.

Wes

i'm not sure if it is the cap now, even with my origional one fitted i still have a splashing of coolant on the inside of the bonnet. mine was only a tenner from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250977786053?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

my car is still in the bodyshop so haven't got round to trying the stant one again, i will let you know next weekend if it works.

welshpug

make sure its turned to the second position, seen this a few times on pugs, first position doesn't seal much at all, its there to release pressure, second position pulls it don tight and seals.

Paul_13

6904102931_63537bf181_z.jpg

Glad you did that or this happens :lol:

DSC03832.jpg

cybernck

And just when I thought you couldn't possibly come up with any more photos of strange damage... :lol:

cRaig

make sure its turned to the second position, seen this a few times on pugs, first position doesn't seal much at all, its there to release pressure, second position pulls it don tight and seals.

Yeah, I found the new stant cap quite tight for the first few attempts at fitting it, it really didnt want to be twisted around to the second position. Seems to get better with use.

Pic

haha! wow, I bet that didnt make very much power when that happened lol!

• Like 1

jackherer

I've seen loads of 205 downpipes with the split bent back and blocking the flow but they have all been much frillier than that, your one looks fairly new so I suspect something else was wrong, maybe it was running very lean with high EGT and melted a bit?

Wes

I bought it from a seller on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649) but according to wes205mi, it leaks when its up to pressure. I havent tested mine yet, or heard back if he managed to overcome the problem. Might be worth sending him a PM before buying one?

ok i think my cap is ok, my coolant seems to be splashing out of the overflow outlet as i dont have a bit of pipe on it at the mo. the stant cap does make a seal and is actually slightly deeper than the old one. someone else needs to try one and let us know how they get on.

• Like 1

Daniel185

definately the best colour in a 205gti...by far

cRaig

Still (sorf of..) on track for summer completion:

Twin fan relays & box and bracketry fitted:

7029074621_40a7cfcbc0_c.jpg

Remote oil filter housing & (new silicone baker bm) oil to water heat exchanger fitted:

6882975538_4b79636cb8_c.jpg

Pretty close to the engine bay being finished now. Fuel filter bracket zinc plated and fitted.

6882976388_2191c2663f_c.jpg

Petrol tank, new rubber hoses and metal pipes fitted. Stainless steel jubilee clips etc. Just got the tank strap, heatshield and rear brakes to sort really. Underneath was fully cleaned, rust proofed where needed, then coated with a liberal layer of waxoyl underseal. Cavities: boot floor rail, sills, engine bay rails etc have all be coated with Dynax S50 cavity wax, seems to get really good reviews, so hopefully should prolong the life of the internal structures.

6882977196_8d9b14ed4f_c.jpg

Fiddly jobs like gluing the door rubber seals back on- they were removed for the respray, and are 1-use self adhesive originally, so UHU to the rescue!

7029077079_6af96ebc60_z.jpg

Arch trims and red strips are nearly all back on, starting to look like a GTI again :)

6882978074_d7b7da4204_c.jpg

Mainly the exhaust, rear brakes and rad and a/c condensor to fit, then can concentrate on the interior. Nearly there now!

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

cRaig

Also.. some questions, if someone could help me out.. Im sure they are obvious, but its been too since Ive had my 205 in one piece to remember clearly:

1. What is the order of the HT leads onto the dizzy cap?

2. Where does the main power cable from the shunt box bolt fit to the starter motor and alternator retrospectively? For example, does it matter which of the two studs with nuts on the back of the alternator it is connected to?

3. Could someone clearly desribe what goes where on the bottom of the throttle body, there seem to be various breathers, one from the oil filler cap etc.

4. The small water take off just below the HT lead carrier bolt, behind the oil filler tower- where does it go? Is that the one for the warmed throttle body? Worth putting back, or blanking off?

Thanks

Craig :)

Zara

looks awesome craig! :D cant believe you have spent so long doing this though! i dont think i realise what ive let myself in for with mine lol! do you have all the interior you need? :)

cRaig

Thanks :) yeah, it is a bit odd to think its taken nearly 3 years to get this far, it certainly has been an uphill struggle at times, although to be fair most of my time has been spent frantically at uni, it was only last autumn that I really started working on the 205.

I think I've got all of the interior bits I need, but they are still scattered in various lofts as the interior will be left untill last :)

Craig

cRaig

Well, after the best part of three years cluttering up my bedroom in my parents house, my alloys were finally sent to get some rubber put on them:

7047626327_27269b9c0c_c.jpg

Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2s fitted.

7047336913_beb69ca08c_c.jpg

Made a start tacking the interior, as I was getting bored with other bits and pieces.

6902052894_fcab4a1b3e_c.jpg

6902053290_c23d0429ce_c.jpg

Tank strap, heatshield and exhaust fitted.

7048159113_df30721aef_c.jpg

Am going to aim to get the brakes finished and bled next, coupled with dashboard reassembly.

Could also still do with these questions answering :)

2. Where does the main power cable from the shunt box bolt fit to the starter motor and alternator retrospectively? For example, does it matter which of the two studs with nuts on the back of the alternator it is connected to?

3. Could someone clearly desribe what goes where on the bottom of the throttle body, there seem to be various breathers, one from the oil filler cap etc.

4. The small water take off just below the HT lead carrier bolt, behind the oil filler tower- where does it go? Is that the one for the warmed throttle body? Worth putting back, or blanking off?

Craig

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

cRaig

Tarted up the exhaust back box, nothing wrong with an old bosal one I had spare, so have cleaned and painted it to match the center pipe.

6911656834_7516a886e2_c.jpg

Exhaust fitted :) Rear hanger took a bit of persuasion with a soft face hammer to get it back in roughly the right place, as the 'offroading' up the bank towards the hedge had caused the backbox to act like a plow and bend the mounts. Its perhaps a tiny bit lower than standard, but shouldnt be a problem.

6911657568_f2521a2c6e_c.jpg

Fiiinally got the GTi6 caliper ready to go on. Got the dust seals sorted in the end. (got a more talended mate to do them :D)

7057742229_85caea470b_c.jpg

Have made a list of all the things that need doing to finish now. Worrying the list is rather small. It might actually be finished soon, not quite sure what Im going to do with it then..

Edited by cRaig

chipstick

Had not noticed this thread, so just spent an hour and a half reading through this and I take my hat off to you.

Great work. I am glad you stuck with it and have got to this stage. You have a real eye for detail :)

Will you ever want to drive it now though? :D

cRaig

Thanks :) Hope you enjoyed my ramblings. I guess this thread really is living up to its name and is pretty longwinded now! :s

Nah, its nearly ready for a thrash now. :D Its just too tempting not to drive it. I have made a deal with myself that this isnt becoming a concourse car, the effort required to keep it looking like this is just too much for me really. Ive told myself Im going to treat it like you would a new car, cherish it, but let it age sensibly. Will see how well I hold myself to that lol..

• Like 2

cRaig

Got the GTi6 calipers fitted and torqued up

7063698957_e01586f422_c.jpg

I didnt really realise how much bigger they are than the standard brakes until I put the wheels back on!

6917626598_19092af52d_c.jpg

I am starting to think they might be a little overkill for what is otherwise a pretty much standard car, but the standard brakes did look a little weedy behind the sl434s when I first tried them, so I guess it should be successful as a purely aesthetic excercise lol!

The rear brakes are currently progressing through the clean and paint up process, and should be ready for rebuilding with new seals later this week.

eddie bullit

Stunning Craig! Get rid of those rear head rests though..my personal opinion is they detract a little from the factory fresh look you're achieving.

Edd

mechanicalrepairs

Love it, can't wait to see it all finished, you going to take it to pugfest this year?

Carl

cRaig

Stunning Craig! Get rid of those rear head rests though..my personal opinion is they detract a little from the factory fresh look you're achieving.

Edd

Yeah, Im surprised how marmite the rear headrests are! I think they look a bit better in the flesh, when the whole interior is fitted, they dont stand out quite as much. Plus Ive got a spare set of seats, so no harm done if I want to swap back to standard if I get bored of them.

Love it, can't wait to see it all finished, you going to take it to pugfest this year?

Carl

Yeah, hopefully it will be at pugfest this year, Im coming around to putting it forward for show and shine, undecided at the moment..

timmsy19

I say keep the rear headrests Craig, its not factory standard but i still looks good with them. Plus the SL's aren't factory standard so its nice to have 'little' subtle upgrades.

One thing i'd try and do is pull the backbox up a bit more too, other than that this car is absolutely spot on! good work and well done for sticking with it

Daviewonder

Craig did you buy new little splash covers for the headlamp earth points or did you just use the old ones?

• Like 1

cRaig

I couldnt find them from peugeot, so I got some from a base model 205 at the scrapyard which were in much better condition than mine, then soaked them in soapy water for a few days, came up alright.