• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

Weser

the slam panel (resprayed in a RAL colour by the bodyshop)

Looking great Craig! Sorry for being dumb but can you explain RAL? Is is a custom matched colour? I want to spray mine as its letting the car down but cant find a paint code.

Cheers Andy

cRaig

Yeah, basically the bodyshop matched the colour using a swatch book, and a RAL colour was the best match they could find to the original colour. Any autopaint supplier, or bodyshop should be able to do the same for you :)

Weser

Thanks! I will be heading down the paint suppliers.

cRaig

Well, as I am running out of mechanical things to do (new radiator is on order from germany- getting hold of a 1.6 Auto Rad isnt that easy these days, should be here by next week though) So to pass the time I made a start on the dashboard.

Started with the original radio I have had stored up in a box in the loft for the last few years. First job was soldering back on a proper red female plug to the car loom to match the one on the radio- a milestone, its the first car radio I have fitted without using connector blocks! :D Quite pleased with the radio- it certainly doesnt sound as bad as I was expecting. (may or may not be exactly the right model of radio- but it was the closest I could find, Ive got a radio manual somewhere, and from what I can remember it was the same model (or very close))

Starting tackling the various bits of dash, clocks cowl to secure in place, and the corner by the fusebox is a bit lacking at the moment.

Also got my gentry visors working again, and have had a go at repairing the remote cental locking (a pin had corroded out of the plug, so have bypassed it with some solder and wire) batteries are on the way to test it out.

7228890072_def5354f37_c.jpg

Aircon button ready and waiting to go! :)

7228885542_e6b1489ae7_c.jpg

7228899314_2a688d75a5_c.jpg

Engine bay is so close to being finished now. Deep cleaning and painting with rubber dye the air inlet hoses has really finished it off a treat :)

7228929792_fc2e340bf6_c.jpg

7228881072_c54edf766b_c.jpg

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 2

sensualt101

just read your updates craig and as usual some awesome work! :)

i got that classics mag and saw your forum mention too lol!

i really bought it for the article about the red 1.6 gti that is a near twin for my own ;)

i look forward to you finally finishing your rebuild and seeing you test out all your hard work and new toys ( aircon etc! )

i now want some gentry sunvisors lol!

chat soon Mark

cRaig

Another momentous day in 205 ownership.. I fixed my coin tray :D

7236041870_4162081fa9_c.jpg

New spring and catch fitted, works a treat, and more importantly doesnt rattle! Rest of the dashboard is coming along nicely.

cRaig

Could someone confirm if this is an acceptible fuel pump tachy relay? http://www.carparts4...9b80d681 A quick google search on the forum suggested that the hella part should be 4RP008189121, so its not identical. Updated part number perhaps?

Mine had been tempermental before, and now seems to have stopped working, as the fuel pump is no longer priming. Bloody car is breaking down before its even finished now lol

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

Spent yesterday afternoon (when it was lovely and sunny) painfully trawling the insurance companies. Have found an agreeable quote with Adrian Flux (most other insurance companies struggled to quote competitively becasue I am either under 25 or a student!) Insurance is going to be aranged for the 1st of June, so thats something to aim for :) Have spent this morning doing jobs that had been forgotten about, such as torquing the wishbone bolts with weight on the wheels etc.

Next job is finish off the dashboard, then put the front seats in. Radiator should be here tomorrow, so can fill it up with coolant and consider starting it up!

Craig

Henry Yorke

Have you got the mysterious bit of carpet in yours for the passenger footwell? Mine fell down the other day and it is a long time since I have seen one of those in a 205!

cRaig

Dont think so- presumably attaches to the underside of the dashboard? If you have any pics I would be interested :)

Craig

cRaig

New 1.6 Auto radiator (decent BEHR/Hella brand, which is nice) arrived in Bath yesterday, so will hopefully get that fitted and filled up with coolant today.

7285348560_65de59b6f0_c.jpg

Fitted the drivers seat on a decent spare subframe- mine was looking a bit sorry foritself, one of the cross bars had snapped and it was generally a bit wobbly.

7285351764_938fcc006f_c.jpg

Sat in the fitted drivers seat for the first time in a few days short of three years. That was fun :)

Edited by cRaig

Slo

3 YEARS?? you spent all this time money and effort on it and you havent driven it for 3 YEARS?? wow it must've killed you man thats dedication after 3 years i wouldn't dare take it outside it would be on the mantle piece lol well done

• Like 2

cRaig

Haha! It certainly has been stressful and annoying not being able to drive it! Also, In my defence, Im not (quite) the slowest spanner monkey in the world- alot of my time has been taken up with uni (on my second degree now, was in my second year last time I drove it lol!)

Will be rather strange driving it again..

Edited by cRaig

chipstick

Great work Craig. I spy a couple of nice additions :lol:

steve@cornwall

Have you got the mysterious bit of carpet in yours for the passenger footwell? Mine fell down the other day and it is a long time since I have seen one of those in a 205!

The cover for the fan motor?

cRaig

Two years.. eleven months and twenty odd days later.. it starts and runs. Pictures to follow :D

• Like 4

BERTMAN

Congratulations! Good felling eh!

cRaig

Obviously lots of niggles to sort, guages that worked and have now mysteriously stopped, but no matter, will be all sorted in good time :) Will have a few days pottering on it, then get it MOT'd after the bank holiday weekend. No rush, have still got a month before pugfest to tinker. :D

7309425300_b7f09cdf4b_c.jpg

7309425958_697b574251_c.jpg

Dodgy driving light connector obviously! :D

7309426690_2edd0b9f02_c.jpg

7309427528_f6817fc497_c.jpg

7309428230_02c8856716_c.jpg

7309430134_81348ae570_c.jpg

• Like 1

Slo

id be eating my tea out of the engine bay its superb LOL everytime i look at it or you post a new picture im like DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :wub:

Tom Fenton

Looking good buddy. I'm not sure at the moment if mine will make it to Pugfest or not this year.

Did you get those caliper plates through?

cRaig

Thanks :) Nope, they havent arrived yet.. Our postman is on a go slow at the moment, so I will let you know when they do arrive.

chipstick

Great news Craig. Congrats.

Are those rubber mats staying? Personal preference obviousy - but I would say cloth mats would look nicer in there than the rubber ones.

Those speedline stickers. Is that the correct font?

Just reading through your thread has turned me in to an anal wreck :lol:

cRaig

Haha, glad to see it is catching :D

The mats have the peugeot logo on them, so I quite like them! :) with a clean and a polish they should come up a bit better. The stickers are exactly as they came from the speedline warehouse, in their speedline boxes, so I imagine it is the correct font! :D

Will sort out some proper peugeot centre caps from a 307 next time I am at the scrappy and paint them up to match the alloys- Im not a big fan of the speedline centres.

eddie bullit

Stunning car Craig..it's a credit to you! After seeing the odd car on 434s I think I still prefer 1.9s. Are they a different width or offset? Just look to sit a little differently on them...or is it me? Probably me :lol: