• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

feb

Gorgeous car Craig.

What paint did you use for the exhaust?

Is it heat resistant?

cRaig

Have painted it with ZG90 Cold Galvanising Spray, I dont think it is specifically heat resistant, but as its zinc based I think it should be fine with a bit of heat, time will tell I guess!

cRaig

Dragged it outside to swap the order of the 205 and the midget in the garage, as I dont want the hassle of my first drive to invove shuffling cars about. Moderately difficult as the driveway is fairly steep! Volvo to the rescue as a good ground anchor!

SL434s fitted, think they set of the laser paintwork nicely :) Looking forward to finishing off the trim on the passenger side :) Had forgotten how good the paintwork looks in daylight :D

43369780320_2617499773_c.jpg

45134705412_e074337168_c.jpg

Midget looks good as well :D

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

Anthony

You still not fixed that numberplate on the Volvo? :lol:

Having seen this car in the metal a couple of weekends back, I can honestly say that it is as-new and the pictures don't do it justice!

Does look a little mismatched right height wise in that photo though, namely fairly high at the front and low at the back.

cRaig

Haha, the new bolt for the numberplate is on order from ebay :D

Im hoping that the all new front suspension will 'bed in' a bit, as it does seem very high. Does that sound likely? I havent had any experience with rebuild suspension before, I cant see how I got anything wrong to upset the front suspension height. Also not convinved the back isnt too low, may get someone to look into that and check its set to a standardish height once its on the road.

Anthony

Certainly does look low at the back, but the front will probably settle a little.

Don't mind checking and sorting the rear ride height for you if it needs doing - should be approximately 322mm between shock centres for a standard height beam, assuming that you're running the standard 205 GTi torsion bars (18.9mm)

Paul_13

What colour have you done the SL434's in? Need some inspiration for mine :)

Looking stunning by the way :)

cRaig

Anthony - Thanks, I will prob take you up on that offer once its finished :)

Paul- wheels are standard speedline colour, as they are new, so can't help with a code! :D

laser_GTI

This thread is brilliant Craig, good to see its not just me who has an obsession for these little motors. Like someone mentioned before i've got a list together, purely from your thread of parts i want to replace on the 205. Will this be ready for Pugfest?

Keep up the good work mate ( and the thread)

Chris.

cRaig

Haha, glad to see I am inspiring others to squander money on their 205s :D

Hopefully it will be ready for pugfest, there really isnt very much at all to finish now, but unfortunately uni work keeps getting in the way, so am getting as much done as I can in evenings between essays etc.

Andy_C

This is a really nice project but it may cost me money as I'm lusting after some 434's lol.

Atreides

I've been reading this thread in parts over the last few weeks, and have to say, you've done a hell of a job with this car Craig. It's been a journey and experience I'm sure, and it's good to see you stuck with the old girl even after some serious set-backs.

Hats off to you, fella. This is my favourite car on here :).

One thing though....put the original speedlines back on though! (the 434's are gorgeous though ;))

Edited by Atreides

cRaig

Haha, glad to hear you are enjoying the write up!

I know the non-standard wheels wont be to everyone's taste, but the car is in many ways quietly non-standard now, so Im not too worried about small non standard visible parts, with the aircon, 1 touch electric windows, gentry illuminated sun visors, lots of new sound proofing, 306 gti 6 brake calipers etc, it will never be a truely 'original' 205 (some purists would argue it isnt original after the respray and new panels), so I thought I might as well have the alloys I like! :D I shall keep the old 1.9 wheels hopefully, if I can make room for them, so they can go back on one day if needs be.

Craig

24seven

Another first-read here. Great stuff, I remember seeing the accident pics at the time but missed this thread completely. Hat's off to you, you've done a fantastic job on that!

I like the look of the rear headrests too I must say, the only criticism being they are fixed and not adjustable. That's the only thing detracting from the factory-freshness in my eyes, but then again after all the work you've put into it there's hardly anything wrong with a little personal input.

It'll be a shame to drive it and get it dirty after all this! :P

cRaig

I will more than likely sort the rear headrests to be properly adjustable when the seats are recovered (all being well, Dave will be putting the green fabric into production soon) so will see about getting the seats recovered over this winter :)

feb

Have painted it with ZG90 Cold Galvanising Spray, I dont think it is specifically heat resistant, but as its zinc based I think it should be fine with a bit of heat, time will tell I guess!

The reason I am asking is that I used Hammerite on the exhaust hangers and it was stinking for a few days afterwards; I imagine if I use Hammerite on the spacers/plates around the catalyst, I am worried it may catch fire or?! :o (that's in the Forester)

Is there a heat resistant exhaust paint?

Btw, your car should be put it in a museum, the colour and wheels is awesome, I am not jealous honestly! -_-:wub:

Edited by feb

cRaig

Any VHT paint should be fine for exhaust parts, close to the engine etc. Im still fairly confident that the cold calvanising paint should be fine, its very thin, and zinc rich, so should be fairly inert.

Im slowly coming around to the wheels, when I first fitted them I almost prefered the originals, but they are very smart, and soo shiny, I cant help but like them now :D

Have been doing odds and ends, nothing too exciting, finished cleaning and painting rear calipers, new seal kit, nipples etc. They are fitted now, just waiting for a few m10x1 long unions to do the pipes between the two flexies along the beam, then can bleed the brakes, will be nice to get them finished.

7112506221_48bcc2162b_c.jpg

Weser

Hi Craig. Looks like you are crack on nicely with this! I have a little question. I am tidying up my gti at the mo doing some rust issuses. Anyway I noticed that all the paint has come off my oil cooler. I wondered if you have repainted yours and if so what paint did you use? Or did you get a new one? I know its not even seen but as its out and I am putting a new rad in I want to tidy it up.

Cheers Andy

cRaig

I havent got my oil cooler fitted any more (using the oil-water heat exchanger due to the aircon) but I did clean up and repaint my radiator and aircon condensor. I used eastwoods radiator paint (http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-paint/eastwood-radiator-gloss-black-aerosol-340g.html) I went for the satin as I thought it would be more even/subtle.

Nice, easy to use paint, went on well, and has left a nice OE-looking finish.

Craig

Weser

Oh yer forgot about your aircon! cheers mate I will get a can. Looks like it will do the job nicely. Thats for the link!

cRaig

Well, sadly out of the two radiators I had 'in stock', I picked the wrong one as it turns out to be leaking. Got to clean and paint the other one now, and strip down and replace the rads. A minor setback though, so it could be worse. Havent managed much more progress on the 205 recently as uni work has been fairly manic.

Also more magazine space in classics monthly this month, which was nice, only a little bit on my forum updates:

6998479450_7c3ac046ae_c.jpg

Looking forward to the summer when I can get on and finish this!

chipstick

I just came in here to mention I noticed your magazine piece in this months Classics Monthly :lol:

Only got it as it has an article about the 205 GTi in. Which actually did a route down the road from me which I will be copying and taking pictures in the same locations :wub:

cRaig

Yeah, it was a nice article on the 205. Heh, same was suitably inspired for a drive out and copying some picture locations! Would quite like a pic of mine on the beach as well! :D

chipstick

Well when yours is finished give me a shout and we can do a road trip ^_^

• Like 1

cRaig

Well, the radiator is boxed up ready to be posted off for reconditioning. A rather unexpected cost, but I guess that serves me right for fitting aircon, and ending up with a non standard GTi rad. Shoudnt be too expensive to recondition, it should be on par with the cost of the new rad, which to be honest the measurements are a little uncertain as to how well it will fit, as its rather tight to the slam panel with the brackets to clear the air con compressor.

Been sorting out a few finishing touches (just a shame its not finished :D) namely the slam panel (resprayed in a RAL colour by the bodyshop) and air filter canister (powdercoated), both have come out well, and have been stickered up :)

7180641470_dce58e1eee_c.jpg

7180641396_cd269a07bc_c.jpg

Uni deadlines are in a couple of weels, so hopefully soon I will be able to push forward and get it finished..

Edited by cRaig