• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

[trackday_prep] Paul's Gti6

rubyna

Getting to the point now where petrol is going to be going in the window, instead of the filler and a match is going to be following it.

Back on form Paul :lol: , you aint half had some trouble with it mate. I feel for you mate been there myself hence why i just took it to Dan

[taylorspug] atleast you then know its happy days from the moment you pick the car up after completion!! I know sometimes money stops people but what youve thrown at that financially it could have been droopped off and picked up in a week or so....

Anyway hope you get it sorted mate.. Luke..

Paul_13

Havent been on here for a bit and thought i'd give you guys an update.

To combat my p!ssed off-ness I thought i'd strip the rear beam apart and sort out a few other problems.

Rear beam in pieces, torsion bars would not come out using a bolt and washer so out came the lump hammer :D My favourite tool

p1000009p.th.jpg

p1000003z.th.jpg

p1000004s.th.jpg

Basically brand new, only rebuilt just over 5000 miles ago. The marks rubbed off

p1000007.th.jpg

p1000008.th.jpg

Old torsion bars awaiting berlingo items :blush:

Got some 306 gti6 arms to go aswell and Gti-si will be getting hold of ya for bearings :)

Paul_13

O yeah, I removed the front strut brace and I cant believe how much better it handles!

Tom Fenton

I'm suprised you think that, I fitted a front brace to my car, drove it immediately before and after, and thought it was much improved.

Paul_13

Hopefully the good shafts and 306 arms are pressed together and ready for collection ;)

Had to get him to press a torsion bar out aswell as it was NOT moving (even with a 2 lump hammers)

Put a 306 gti6 beam on the diesel yesterday and blimey what a difference ;)

Just got to gather some money and buy the torsion bars and bearings ;)

ryan_stdt

when i took my strut brace off of my old 306 it seemed to handle better than when it was on. in my opinion strut braces make the front end to stiff for bumpy public roads. maybe on a nice smooth track you would feel the advantages but i never drove my 306 on a track so i cant say

Paul_13

We getting your engine out today then mate? ;)

2am over did it a little last night on your motor, I still feel wrecked :)

ryan_stdt

i didnt leave til about 4am in the end, ive got to get hold of an engine crane first, unless ur feeling strong ha.

Paul_13

Bit of an update, it's been a while.

Picked up some 309 21.3mm torsion bars off Alex (boombang- cheers). Will be getting a 24mm ARB next weekend off Taylorspug :ph34r:

1 Torsion bar in and height set with dummy shock. I raise the ride height by about 10mm, bit low for my liking before.

p1000029c.th.jpg

Enough grease? :)

p1000030y.th.jpg

Both bars in

p1000031r.th.jpg

306 trailing arms, bumpstops bonded on and new seals for arb endplates

p1000033.th.jpg

Edited by paul_xiii

Batfink

With regard to the strut braces. In back to back testing with Kyepan we found there was a significant improvement in grip over changing camber surfaces, such as coming off roundabouts...

Galifrey
With regard to the strut braces. In back to back testing with Kyepan we found there was a significant improvement in grip over changing camber surfaces, such as coming off roundabouts...

Upper or lower or both?

Paul_13

I did notice when I took the beam off, the rear solid mounts weren't alligned properly. This probably caused the back end to act a bit odd and taking the strut brace off compensated that.

I'll get the beam on straight and put the strut brace back on and see if it makes any difference,

It's the upper strut brace i'm on about, not sure about Batfink

Tom Fenton

I fitted a strut brace to my otherwise standard 1.6 GTI, drove it immediately before and after, the difference really did suprise me, I thought all the marketing hype was just that, but it honestly did really improve turn in and feel.

kyepan

wot he said...

but if it is to stiffly sprung it would bounce about like a bannana on a diving board.

we think it kept the geometry ( and contact patch) a bit more stable as you turned in and the suspension loaded up, especially in slower corners with medium / lots of lock.

Paul if you are about and the car is on its feet, we can go for a spin, as mine is back to it's old self now.. and not flat like before.

J

Paul_13
wot he said...

but if it is to stiffly sprung it would bounce about like a bannana on a diving board.

we think it kept the geometry ( and contact patch) a bit more stable as you turned in and the suspension loaded up, especially in slower corners with medium / lots of lock.

Paul if you are about and the car is on its feet, we can go for a spin, as mine is back to it's old self now.. and not flat like before.

J

My car's still in bits :) and no MOT

Is it running nicely now?

Don't think you want swine flu though...

I feel like sh!t

adam2oh5

helllo mate.im loving what your doing with the car.im doing sumthink sort of simler but with a 1.9 xu. ill probly be pestering you in a few months because would love to take on the gti 6 project. just a quick question.wen you took your dash out did you have to strip all the clocks and everythink? because ive took the facia of the clocks and undone the bolt thats located central of the dash.and the two at the far side thats located on them brackets.is there somethink else im missing or am i being stupid and not looking properly?thort i would ask somone whos done it instead of going at it again and getting wound up hahaha

cheeers.

taylorspug

If you mean you still cant get the dash out you have probably not undone the two bolts under the front scuttle panel where the wiper motor sits. ;)

Miles

Some will some won't, I fitted Galifrey's today and even with the adjuster you can see the thing bend, You really want something like this,

I might even start making them soon

post-43-1258504860_thumb.jpg

Galifrey

Mmmm chunky

Paul_13

I missed the last few posts, I havent been receiving suscription emails....

Nice pic of the engine Miles/gallifrey.

Bit of an update:

Picked up the 24mm ARB off Taylorspug (cheers :D) and thickness difference is incredible, had a bit of an issue getting it alligned and installed but all is sorted now :)

dsc00577k.th.jpg

With the help of Ryan_stdt managed to get the beam on the car, then started to install the copper lines (which I remade to miss the flexi out) and put the calipers/discs on.

Next job is to replace the braided line on the front (which I shredded to pieces and wrecked 2 tyres :() and bleed the system again.

Then... Use a tensioner I found on a AC 306, which is an offset tensioner pulley which I can hopefully piece together to fit with my aux belt. Only problem is I've got to take the inlet off to get the alternator off! Barsteward!

4x new tyres ;)

And if gtisi ever decides to get back to me about this exhaust, I will have a grp N system instead of my deafening ashley system.

Edited by paul_xiii

Paul_13

Did a bit of work before I travelled to Leeds on Sunday.

Piped up the copper lines on the rear and put the caliper on, sorted out the exhaust heat shield so it doesn't rattle any more.

Went to bleed the brakes and snapped a bleed nipple off the rear caliper DOH!

Luckily my mate had a spare set off his 106 :D

Had a bash at the alternator, managed to get it tensioned it a bit of a bodge but it's done the job :)

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/6488/dsc00608q.jpg

I used the arm off a S16 setup and used the A/C mounting bracket on the sump

Bit offtopic but here's my mates CV cup on his 106 gti :)

dsc00611d.th.jpg

Paul_13

Did a load of work yesterday on the 205, by myself of course as my mates have had enough of my French piece of sh!t.

I bled the brakes,

Put the 309 front ARB on

and got the old 1.6 box off ready for the Xsara box

Going to change the lever and clutch arm over from the 1.6gti box today, unleash the hulk inside and get this box back on (probably by myself again)

Couple of pics

Thickness difference!

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3064/dsc00616y.jpg

Where's it gone?

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8053/dsc00617i.jpg

There it is!

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9860/dsc00618y.jpg

All on my lovely gravel drive :)

Gman

Paul, it would be great if you can show what parts you had to swap over and how to do it, as I will have to do the same some time soon. Thanks!

Graham

andyjstone

What's the advantages of fitting a Xsara box over the 1.6 box?

Paul_13

Gman- I'll try and get some pics.

Andy- It's a stronger casting and the ratio's are a bit better. Pretty much built for the engine too.