• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

[trackday_prep] Paul's Gti6

Paul_13

How much for the bottom end off your bros Cab?

Pistons and everything please <_<

Spiky

£60?

Paul_13

I got your message on 306 forum, cheers for the offer but I think i'll pass.

If its still available next week I may take it. I'll see what this block has in store Saturday.

Cheers

Spiky

no worries dude, it's onyl sat in the garage nice and dry <_<

gti-si

Is it a '6? The J4R block is different isn't it?

My bad, only the pistons and crank

Edited by gti-si

welshpug

J$r and J4RS block and crank is the same, pistons are lower compression, but still 10.4-1, valves are same size as 1.8 xu16v, i.e bigger exhaust than gti6 IIRC, fairly close in characteristics to an Mi16 head apparently, several small differences.

gti-si

Cheers Mei, just discovered I was incorrect as you posted that.

GLPoomobile
I've had the engine coming up to 6-7 months now, bit too late to do anything about it.

At the very least I'd contact the seller anyway and explain things. Give him the opportunity to respond, and if you are not satisfied then make it public knowledge. If you can't get a personal resolution, at least warn others that he is a dodgy c*nt and shouldn't be traded with.

kyepan

i feel for you mate.

Paul_13

Heres the advert:

wanker.th.png

I think i still have his address.

I've been in contact with admin on the gti6 forum but he hasnt been on the forum since may.

DESTRUCTION!

dsc00505k.th.jpg

rubyna

Really feel for you mate as has been documented on here ive been through a simmilar scenario cost me best part of £2000

in the end maybe a bit more? could have gone out and bought a nice example allready done and sold mine on, never mind

we live and learn!! So whats the plan now Paul ?

Luke..

Paul_13

The pictures previous are what I am trying to achieve at the minute.

Sorry for the blunt answer just REALLY p!ssed off still.

I'm going to do some bashing

rubyna
The pictures previous are what I am trying to achieve at the minute.

Sorry for the blunt answer just REALLY p!ssed off still.

I'm going to do some bashing

Understandable mate, go do some bashing on that crooksy,s door!! twat..

Paul_13

More destruction, at least one of the head bolts is now reachable, going to get my chisel from work and continue...

dsc00506iri.th.jpg

dsc00507rul.th.jpg

F*cking B*stard C*nting Tw*t Face!

EdCherry

Bloody hell! you've given that a proper working and understandably.

Paul_13

^ ;)

Right, now trying to think about rebuilding the head I will be picking up at the weekend; while i try in vain to remove this one.

1. I am going to be replacing the valve stem seals, is it essential I take the valves out?

2. From a past experience with a S16 head, I found the valve got stuck in the valve guides. Does this mean its buggered?

3. If the same happens to this new 6 head, does it mean its unsavable?

4. If the valves come out easy I want to relap the valves to make sure they're seated properly. My mate has the tools/compound, is there anything I should look out for?

5. Is using a steel rule a good way of checking straightness for the new head.

Any help would be much appreciated, feel like bashing some heads right now especially the good for nothing cont who sold me this bag of bolts.

welshpug

1, sort of, you'll need to take the springs off to get at them, you might as well drop the valves out of the way to give you more room, make sure you place them in order so they go back in the same hole.

2, depends what causes it to be stuck, l've heard of the top of the valve to be mushroomed, this will damage the guide, you can replace the guide.

3, as above ;)

4, yes, bent valves, easy to spot by the uneven ring or patches where the valve doesn't rub on the seat, keep the stems lubricated with out and try not to get paste everywhere.

5, yeah, try and slide a feeler gauge under the middle, do across from corner to corner diagonally and straight across too, best off IMO to get it skimmed very lightly if you have the chance.

SurGie

Really sorry to read about your woe's on this engine, after all that work as well ;)

As said before, you live and learn.

Good luck with what ever you do to finish this conversion off.

Paul_13

Cheers for the reply Welshpug.

Will be picking up the head Saturday.

Funnily enough I text Dan 'Crooksy' (the bloke I bought the engine off), not expecting a reply what soever. But lo-and-behold I got an answer:

Sh!t. Mate I genuinely was not aware of the problem with the engine. I will admit that I mislead you saying that I knew the history of the engine as it was infact out of a damaged 6 that I bought to break.

The info I gave was what I was told by the bloke when I bought the car.

Unfortunately I have been made redundant otherwise I would refund the moeny it has cost you to sort the head.

Which I will happily do when I get back into work.

Until then if there are any bits you need at all that I can offer as a good will gesture then let me know.

As for the injectors/ICV/breather pipework I assumed you had received them as I hadnt heard back from you and they were sent months ago, I will see if I can find another set and get them to you.

I have had my fingers burnt in the past and know how it feels so wouldn't want you to go through the same.

I'm extremely sorry for the inconvience this has caused you and will do my utmost to sort this for you.

Dan

I'm not really sure to take his word to be honest, its easy to lie in a text.

I'd like to think I could trust him but he's off the 306gtic*nt forum (sorry if this offends anyone but I get pissed off with sellers/buyers wasting your time on there.)

Any way good news:

dsc00508q.th.jpg

Voila!

dsc00509gdg.th.jpg

Head off

dsc00510xpx.th.jpg

State of the headgasket and there was a puddle of water in cylinder 2 from flywheel and a bit in number 1

dsc00512bjs.th.jpg

dsc00511h.th.jpg

They might mean something to someone ^, just looked really gunked up to me.

Made me a bit happier :)

Miles

s*it missed all of this, I know where your coming from as I've had a few iffy engine's now too one of those had a rounded head bolt too

Head wise if the valves are tight in the guide then the top where the clips sit in have faired out, New valve and that will be sorted.

I really would get the head done by a pro as these suffer from tapping even if the valve are bent by a thou' or 2, I know of a company in Fareham (Hants) that do the work and are not that expensive either

gti-si

Reading his for sale post the other day, I suspect he gave you the other engine, not the one you highlighted, if that's what you paid for. Notice he says he crashed 'his' astor, now he says it's from a car he just bought to break. I smell bulls*it tbh, but it is strange he had the decency to reply. Perhaps he wants to salvage a bit of reputation just incase he decided to return? If he had sent them and they'd been lost, id expect he'd want to inquire where they went rather than simply sending some more. On a little thought, he probably didn't know about the head problems, just sold it on under misleading information.

I wouldn't read much into it mate and expect NOTHING from him, anything you do get is a bonus.

Good progress with the head :)

Edited by gti-si

Paul_13

Head got destroyed, bought a valve removal tool to do the head over the weekend.

Miles: I really dont have the time or money at the minute to be paying a company to do work for me.

Not having a go or anything just I want this thing on road at the moment and it's probably going to coming apart again soon.

This will make a few of you laugh or gasp..

My mate with his 205gti6 was complaining about his steering moving around alot.

Said i'd check it over and see how things were doing. Started with the subframe for the front

Front bolt on the drivers side present but about 5 turns from coming out.

Rear 2 GONE.

Front bolt pass. GONE

Rear 1 present and loose 1 bolt GONE

He's not too handy with cars I must admit, thank god he's got me for a mate

I dont know how he's still alive to be honest, with only 2 loose bolts holding the subframe in.

gti-si

:)

Scary.

Anthony

I've had one like that as well Paul - a friend came down and asked me to have a look at his 205 because "there was a slight knocking noise"

I took it down the road quickly to hear the noise for myself, only to be greeted with the worst banging and clunking noises I've heard from a car, coupled with it swerving and weaving over the road so badly with any kind of throttle that it was almost impossible to keep it in lane.

Turns out that like yours, there were four subframe bolts missing, and the remaining two were both very loose, and for good measure, both steering rack bolts were loose as well. Unsurprisingly, with the bolts all replaced and tightened, it drove properly again and without the nasty knocking!

I really do worry sometimes how cars get into such a state without people noticing, and considering these are "enthusiasts" that we're talking about, I dread to think how bad some cars out there are belonging to people with no interest at all and to whom a car just gets them from A to B and checked once a year at MOT time.... *shudders*

Tom Fenton

To me, the most dangerous of cars I've come across are usually owned by what I would call enthusiastic amateurs. They consider themselves home mechanics, so refuse to take a car with a problem to a garage and pay for it to be repaired. But for whatever reason, the job in hand is out of their comfort zone, so as a result they do nothing and keep driving, knowing something is wrong from noises the car is making or whatever, but do nothing more to investigate.

I think the worst example I saw was a good friend of mine, still a good friend to this day, who is usually a good lad. He was driving a 16v Astra GTE about with one steering rack mount hanging off the bulkhead, and the other one not far behind it. He knew there was something wrong from the nasty grinding and graunching noises coming from the steering column. In the end I sat him down, gave him a fearsome bollocking about endangering his, his girlfriends, and other peoples lives, and told him that he had to either pay for it to be fixed at a garage, or stop driving it until he did something about it. (Guess who actually welded the new mount on, my own downfall is not being able to see a friend struggle......)