• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jackman

[car_overhaul] Yellow 205 Rallye..

calvinhorse

wtf? whens that out?

Jackman

Its out now mate!

Rupertfinch

Got very excited in the newsagents yesterday - even shouted to the better half that 'I know that car' (well not personally - but in a forum-knowing kind of way).

Always thought the car looked great and a good read - will you be ditching the 'rally bilsteins?' they didn't appear to like 'em!

Jackman

Thanks for reading it mate!

I won't be ditching the Bilsteins ! Will be doing a update later with a few plans!

matty

Got my PPC throught the post, good read, nice to see a Peugeot hatch in there.

Jackman

So there was some progress on the car today!

Decided to get into the engine bay and get some of the oil off to get it ready for Spraying!

Started with:

DSC01389.jpg

DSC01383.jpg

Called on a mate to do it for me! Cheers Dai!

DSC01391.jpg

Then between us we managed

DSC01400.jpg

Actually pretty happy with it so far!

Worst part of the rust that needs welding before i can have it sprayed!

DSC01397.jpg

Hoping to have it in by February so that i can build the engine back up and get it up and running!

Now as for the direction of the car!

Basically for those that read my feature, you would of noticed that my Suspension is apparently not the greatest.

So i've contacted Faulkner about a custom set of lower and harder springs

Also looking into these:

adj-top-mounts.jpg

Although i'm not sure if they will fit my Bilsteins, where as apparently these ones do!

1019188_300.JPG

Then a set of Polycarb windows will be on order

442.jpg

And also a fibreglass bonnet!

I'm also currently looking into upgrading to a 309 front suspension set up for extra width but i have no idea what it takes so looking into it atm!

Edited by Jackman

Jackman

Right then.

After much time spent thinking i came to a decision!

I know alot of people have been pestering people closer to me with whats going on! So to save them the hassle, here it comes from me!

The engine was originally taken out for a overhaul and to sort the bay!

But thats just f***ing boring!

So after some talking with Sandy Brown and much thinking.

DSC01369.jpg

GSXR 1000 K4 Throttle Bodies.

Also after removing the head, it would appear my headgasket might of been on its way, so while the head was off thats gone to Sandy aswell!

Both the Throttle Bodies and head are now in Sandys possesion having the necessary work carried out!

Basically Sandy/Colin modify and make up whats need for me to fit the bodies to my engine!

Which should leave me with:

11022009569.jpg

11022009566.jpg

12032009680.jpg

Although i would like to run longer trumpets, as i have alot more room than a 106

Should have this lot back by the end of January !

Estimated power - 180bhp.

Dj_mini

A good read in ppc fair play for driving there and let them spank it round the track.

When you get thoes bodies on there your wonder why you didnt do it before the noise of the 16v tu's is amazing! Rosers old 106 with sandys race engine in use to make your vision blury due to the vibration after a wile lol!

Jackman
A good read in ppc fair play for driving there and let them spank it round the track.

When you get thoes bodies on there your wonder why you didnt do it before the noise of the 16v tu's is amazing! Rosers old 106 with sandys race engine in use to make your vision blury due to the vibration after a wile lol!

Thanks mate!

I remember talking with Sandy about your car when i was having my car mapped! Amazing build!

I look forward to getting it all up and running and hearing the noise!

the power is meant to be 170bhp not 180bhp! I've already had some people inform me it will only make 165bhp!

dcc

For ages I have been hoping you would splash out and get a set of these Martin! Great choice and I would love a passenger ride sometime :D

That feature was a brilliant read too! I was ringing to ask you about that and something else but ill get in touch with you later in the week.

I think you should aim for 180bhp, f*ck the critics :lol: Plus you have more money than sense! How long until you charge it? :D

Sandy

Target 150bhp :lol:

Jackman
For ages I have been hoping you would splash out and get a set of these Martin! Great choice and I would love a passenger ride sometime :D

That feature was a brilliant read too! I was ringing to ask you about that and something else but ill get in touch with you later in the week.

I think you should aim for 180bhp, f*ck the critics :ph34r: Plus you have more money than sense! How long until you charge it? :P

Cheers Dan!

Duno about that money comment :lol:

Target 150bhp :P

What would you know about power figures Sandy! :P

Baz

Just read the PPC article on it Martin, a good read!! :D

Interesting RR figures... :lol:

Edited by Baz

Sandy
What would you know about power figures Sandy! :D

Haha! Not alot!

Jackman
Just read the PPC article on it Martin, a good read!! ;)

Interesting RR figures... ;)

Thanks very much :P

Lol i was never sure of it. But he was positive his rollers are true!

Its just pub talk anyway :D

Haha! Not alot!

Time will tell!

welshpug

Bum Dyno FTW!

edbar

Write up was great well done. All that really matters is that you left with more power than you went with. Glad they have started that feature, very similar to what they used to do in ccc magazine.

Jackman

Bit of a update from the main man Sandy Brown!

Just a few images of how its coming along! It came with a big write up but i'm sure you don't want to read that!

Looking like this:

Jackman03.JPG

Jackman04.JPG

Jackman05.JPG

I find it all very interesting! You may not feel the same lol!

Few more:

Jackman07.JPG

Jackman09.JPG

Jackman10.JPG

Jackman11.JPG

Jackman

Hope Sandy doesn't mind me copying this!

More progress on the head today. First up a bit of valve shaping, two fold purpose, revising the shape and removing the build up of crap! Before and after:

Jackman12.JPG

Then I loaded up and headed off to Pete Willis for the machining. I get him to do all the operations I don't have the equipment or skill to do! He honed his craft working for Brian Hart back in the day when they were developing and building the works Ford BD* Rally engines as well as the racing variants and such like. Since then he has built a reputation as one of the best BD*, Lotus Twin Cam and Hart 420 builders in the country and I've learnt a hell of a lot from him and I consider myself very lucky!

Before anything else the head goes through a cycle in the cleaning tank:

Jackman13.JPG

Then a valve grinding machine is used to very precisely re-face the valves, this showed the exhaust valves to all have a slight "tip" on the head, probably from valve to piston contact at some point. It wasn't severe enough to discard them though, we were able to re-grind them ok:

Jackman14.JPG

Valve face after re-grinding:

Jackman15.JPG

With the valves all done, the head goes onto the "Serdi" machine to have the valve seats re-cut. The seat is the part of the port that the valve sits on when it's closed. For mild tune engines like this I use 3-angle seats with a moderate seat width, too narrow would shorten the seat life and too wide isn't great for flow.

Jackman16.JPG

The long rod goes down the valve guide and centres the cutter on the seat, with the cutter turning to cut the seat evenly:

p><p>    You can use hand tools to cut the seats, but it

Once all the seats are cut, the swarf is hoovered and the remainder blown off before putting the head on the surface grinder to re-face it. The traditional and most popular way to face a head is by skimming it using a horizontal spinning cutter in a Milling machine. Done well it's perfectly acceptable and indeed the texture is ideal for some head gaskets. But surface grinding is more precise with the right equipment and produces a much finer finish that I find works well with layered steel head gaskets. Bolting down on the bed:

http://www.goodhand.co.uk/sandy/files/Jackman18.JPG' alt='Jackman18.JPG'>

The grinding wheel spins in one place while the bed moves automatically under the wheel until the whole head face has passed a few times, then the wheel height is reduced slightly and the operation repeated. Lots of coolant helps to cool the wheel and remove the debris:

Jackman19.JPG

When dialling in the wheel height, Pete immediately declared "Cheese!", buy which he meant a wedge shaped head! It had been skimmed previously and that had made it thinner at one corner than the opposite. A result of either a tired Mill or more likely not being clamped down accurately. I got him to stop the machine so you can see the effect of part of the face being skimmed before the rest:

Jackman20.JPG

The green side of the blue line is contacted, while the red side of the blue line remains untouched.

Left to do is check the spring install heights and match the inlet manifold when it's done, before final finishing.

dcc

I remember when you nearly sold this car for £500! bet you are glad you kept it now!

Jackman
I remember when you nearly sold this car for £500! bet you are glad you kept it now!

defiantly not!

I'd have my Evo by now lol!

credowan

Interesting to see how some of the maching is achieved, its coming along nicely

keep up the great wrk

cheers for the update and pictures

Gary

matt.f

Very nice car and a really good thread.

Jackman

Well been as its Valentines Day today, i thought i should show my one love some attention!

Firstly, i finally got the dash out. What a bloody mission!

DSC01504.jpg

DSC01505.jpg

Ripped out the rest of the sound proofing out!

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01511.jpg

Then after a text yesterday, i ventured down to Bristol to meet Sandy!

Came back with

DSC01512.jpg

DSC01513.jpg

DSC01514.jpg

DSC01515.jpg

DSC01516.jpg

Very happy with the work, looks so good!

Guna order the bits to build it back up this week! And hopefully the bodies won't be far behind!

Thanks very much to Sandy for his work so far and meeting up with me in Bristol! Always nice to have a chat with you, especially over KFC!

Guest sweetser

Looks like its coming along nicely mate, i envy this car!

Hopefully ill be able to start building one up just as nice now ive got shot of my mini :lol: ust got to find a nice pug first

Keep the updates up :)