• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rallyeash

309 Type R

calvinhorse

Broke it? The turreted base model?

rallyeash

No sandy used to have a 309 trio with a H22 engine.

Thread was type R-io from memory.

rallyeash

I collected a GTI subframe and anti roll bar from Anthony yesterday and finished working around 4 today so I could get a decent amount of time on the 309.

First of all got it so to the workshop as for a while now it won't be mobile...

imagejpg2_zpsd9489733.jpg

Dropped the base spec running gear out. - keeping the rack and hubs so removed them after the picture.

imagejpg3_zps668bdcff.jpg

Fitted the GTI subframe and steering rack back on. Ground off the gear selector bracket and various threads sticking out of the bay. Much easier now than struggling when the engine catches on it.

imagejpg1_zpsb1512a57.jpg

Removed the gear linkage and gearstick. I'm really hoping the civic gearstick will be able to fit here and look standard. I want to refit the trim in the left of the pic to keep it subtle looking.

imagejpg4_zpsfa170137.jpg

I then had a picture from the engine supplier. So should see it all tomorrow!

Role on tomorrow evening when the fun starts.

imagejpg5_zpsfcaa66aa.jpg

More updates late tomorrow evening. I'm hoping to get the engine externally stripped down because it's a complete lump and lots will be surplus and maybe offered into the engine bay to see what's what!

• Like 1

Powers

The Civic shifter wont mount to the floor. You will need the Integra DC5 one and cables. There are other options but that is the cheapest.

However you won't fit the standard gear shifter surround and faux leather/ vinyl gaiter over the DC5 one!

Also if you looking to do it on the cheap you can get immobiliser removal kits for the standard ECU's. These are around £80.

If you are going for Hondata you want the wideband version (U.S) model.

rallyeash

Ok cheers, I've got a civic one turning up with my engine tomorrow so we'll see what's what.

Will be on bodies and DTA. What bodies do you run on yours?

Powers

I have some Satchell / Hayabusa ones on one and AT power on another. Will try some Hayward performance ones towards the end of next year.

• Like 1

rallyeash

Don't wana sell any of your setups now? Like the Satchell busa ones for the right money...

Powers

Thanks for the offer but they are in use. If I hear of any others I will let you know.

rallyeash

Engine didn't turn up yesterday...

But it turned up this afternoon.

imagejpg7_zpsbafadeb8.jpg

Stripped it back and removed lots of standard non required stuff. Some bits will be fitted back on ie water pump and alternator

imagejpg1_zps061c4644.jpg

rallyeash

imagejpg6_zps36fd198e.jpg

Slid underneath

imagejpg5_zpsb5ebae3c.jpg

Spent a couple of hours getting it on the correct position

imagejpg2_zpsa4e61a68.jpg

Gearbox mount will be made here.

imagejpg4_zpsd5bdcc32.jpg

• Like 1

chipstick

Looks like a relatively straight forward fabrication on the gearbox side as it's almost there- mind you, says he who can't weld or fabricate :lol:

What's the situation on the drivers side for the engine mount? Looking at the engine it appears to be in the right area at least.

rallyeash

Purchased a new welder for the workshop today too.

imagejpg3_zps92b0226d.jpg

rallyeash

Looks like a relatively straight forward fabrication on the gearbox side as it's almost there- mind you, says he who can't weld or fabricate :lol:

What's the situation on the drivers side for the engine mount? Looking at the engine it appears to be in the right area at least.

It should be to complicated to do them. My plan is when I get hold of the right engine mounts to work with I'll tac it up with the engine in then remove, weld fully and paint.

With the offside mount I'll chop away all of the original and do something there. It'll have a front lower engine mount apposed to a rear one. The lower slam panel on a 309 is much bigger than a 205 so the lower mount will come from there.

allye

not sure if any other 309'ers want to comment but i wouldnt be mounting much to that front radiator mount area!

• Like 1

rallyeash

Well, it's decent strength and where Colin used for the K20 309 track car that powers now owns

CTR2_engine_in.jpg

• Like 1

calvinhorse

It'll want beefing up a bit, just a few stitch welds

rallyeash

Of course, we will be adding strength where required.

chipstick

So a couple of 309s have had this conversion.

Make another set of mounts whilst you're at it. A 205 needs it!

allye

i appreciate those boys thoroughly know what they are doing but i still wouldnt be comfortable using that bar, its so thin!

rallyeash

This morning, got into work and had a rummage for some bushes and dad came up with some Landrover defender suspension bushes...

Going to use two in parallel for the gearbox mount.

Required a small trim down so they would fit width wise and so the inners will butt up together.

Trimmed, left one sat the other way round to show before and after.

imagejpg2_zps3322395a.jpg

As they will sit

imagejpg3_zps2550cadb.jpg

imagejpg1_zps32814e53.jpg

Plenty of space here still. I will get some pipe that can be welded to the chassis and these bushes will get pressed into them.

imagejpg1_zpsc6e36672.jpg

rallyeash

There was a 205 on here from barbados with a k20 fitted, he had managed to keep the chassis completely standard and use a BE box.

Thus; http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=120084

I've browsed at that before hand given it some thought. By the time you adapt the BE box to fit ill of sorted the engine mounts out.

I want to use the CTR box and all the benefits it brings, 6 speed, cable shift, hydraulic clutch etc. plus it'll be much more suited to the 9k engine....

chipstick

Would a Honda gearbox/chassis mount have been adaptable do you think?

rallyeash

No, it's sat here on my desk! It's too bulky. If the engine bay was 3' wider I would of used it. Shame as would of made life easy!

Sandy

We used the front cross member on my H22 conversion too. With four mounts it wasn't doing much, but I had the bolt out of it at one point and you could notice the difference in transmission take up. Note that we used very stiff bushes all round, not leaping around like it would on OE bushes. I did 27,000 miles in mine in about 10 months and nothing broke, so probably got it right.

Edited by Sandy