• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rallyeash

309 Type R

rallyeash

I've decided to start a new project, as I've wanted a fast road car for a while. I love my 205 Rallye track car but it's massively impractical for any other purpose than being on track, I do like the odd blast in it and keep it road legal to be able to achieve that. I'll never sell it but it's also not a "fast road car". In the last 8years it's covered about 2000 road miles! My work discovery commercial is brilliant for my business but doesn't give me a fun car either.

So, I don't want to just buy a fast road car, I want to build something that has taken time an effort and the results are what's been put in. I've been looking at 205's and 309's for a while to buy but there either expensive for a decent one in GTI trim or cheap and rusty/ or ruined.

I'm happy with a lower spec pug and in some ways prefer the cleaner lines of a base model to start from and came across a 47k 309 1.3 which has been owned by a woman since 1993. It looks immaculate and the perfect base to build my car from.

imagejpg1_zps03563bdb.jpg

A photo from everyone's favorite auction site, I'm collecting at 8am tomorrow morning with a trailer from Essex.

So the plans, the car will remain looking standard ish apart from some handling mods, decent wheels etc etc. The front end will be stripped right down shortly to make room for the K20A2 civic type R lump and gearbox. DTA S60 ecu to make full use of Vtec and naturally throttle bodies will be fitted and mapped by Sandy somewhen in the future. Although he doesn't know that yet.

Updates to come soon!

rallyeash

Fully aware! The 205 is slippery!

Henry Yorke

the right number of doors, non sunroof, boot spoiler. Nice!

Is it two tone?

Andy_C

Keep the stickers. Perfect sleeper look.

Been interested in this conversion for a while - I don't have the funds, skill, patience or forgiving Mrs to attempt it so will be watching with interest.

rallyeash

Yes I wasn't going to buy a 5 door! Just not retro and cool!

rallyeash

Keep the stickers. Perfect sleeper look.

Been interested in this conversion for a while - I don't have the funds, skill, patience or forgiving Mrs to attempt it so will be watching with interest.

Some of the bits I won't be able to do such as driveshafts so that'll be outsourced but hoping to do everything else.

We've got the workshop and all the kit on tap to do most so will see how it goes.

Hopefully I'll have a K20A2 engine in the next couple of weeks.

Goliath

Happy to help with driveshafts, not too far away either my workshop is in Bristol.

Lowercase

looking forward to this! been researching a K20 swap for my mr2 so i cant wait to see what Sandy gets out of the engine.

rallyeash

Will be fitted with these Speedline corse wheels at some point and gti6 brakes, I've got a disc beam spare I'll drop slightly and add some shocks too.

imagejpg1_zpse6e643f7.jpg

Edited by rallyeash

Sandy

LoL, good plan!

• Like 1

idoari

do you aware the website name is 205GTIDrivers?

haha ;) good luck!

rallyeash

So 5am this morning, down to work collect the trailer and off to Essex for 8am... She'll looked brilliant condition as expected, ever so slight surface rust on inner offside front wing as expected.

Obligatory service station road trip picture.

imagejpg4_zps645a16f5.jpg

Parked outside work later this morning, poor thing hasn't a clue what's about to hit her.

imagejpg6_zpsa91be8c2.jpg

I must admit I feel a little guilty, woman owned it since 1990, had the receipt of purchase in 1990 and covered a genuine 47k. Inside it's like brand new, outside there isn't any dings or dents, always lived in a garage! But hey it's the perfect shell to work from, if purists are going to moan... Well you should of bought it instead.

imagejpg3_zps1c434201.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsaf2cc552.jpg

Not one advisory on mot in August. Note mileage since 2011

imagejpg2_zps0f9ed860.jpg

Edited by rallyeash

DC2T

Nice project mate indeed

S@m

Well, this is the ideal car and engine for a project in my mind, I've always wanted a K20 309....one day when i'm sick of blowing up/crashing mi16's. :lol:

My brother doesn't like it when i refer to his FN2 Type R as "The Donor" though.

Good luck, i'll be watching with interest.

• Like 2

rallyeash

Washed it and got it inside later this afternoon.

imagejpg5_zpsa25d1e79.jpg

And err, shortly after this happened

imagejpg3_zps44285e9f.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsde92a2cf.jpg

Pretty old school in here, but very good condition

imagejpg4_zpsf0849d2b.jpg

calvinhorse

This is gonna be awesome!!!!

allye

ash mate if you could hurry up that would be good!

• Like 1

camgti

Watching with interest!

Great project mate. Im in a similar position. The track car is to track for the road now and want to built something more road but still fun!

I just bought a 1 lady owner 60k 205 Si (XS for you blokes ) and plane to have that as the 'road car'.

Great project, Im jealous of your shed!

Cam

Sandy

I love the "H ERO" reg

• Like 1

rallyeash

Cheers guys!

Yeah the plates an added bonus! Didn't notice it till I'd bought it.

rallyeash

Worked on it this afternoon for a bit and lowered the back end. I borrowed the wheels from the 205 to get the right ride height.

Think it looks pretty cool... Looking forward to getting the speedlines from my mate soon and get some road tyres fitted.

image_zps46103e68.jpg

Edited by rallyeash
  • Like 1

hoodygoodwood

Good luck with the work ahead , will be interested to see how this 309 turns out .

Make sure its finished by Pugfest as we have a special display to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the beginning of 309 production and a track cavalcade in the lunch break .

rallyeash

It'll be done before that :) trying to find a rear ended ctr to buy complete at mo to break.

It'll only get there if someone else drives it there. I'll be taking the 205 and rag it up the hill. Mind you I'll prob do that in the 309 also.