• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

Tom Fenton

Road rally this weekend gone. Going OK until a whack to the sump guard popped a hole in the sump. New sump to fit and fingers crossed the engine will be OK. Then sump guard to straighten and reinforce plus the mounting points too.

205cr2.jpg

• Thanks 1

woodymi16

Eventually worked out that my intermittent starting problem was the new starter I fitted back in Feb. It had eleven teeth on the starter gear and not nine that my latest new one has. Live and learn I guess, but after swapping the ignition wiring out it took a while for the penny to drop and have a look at the starter on the bench.

welshpug

doesnt matter how many teeth there are on the pinion, just different gearing.

woodymi16
On 9/23/2019 at 6:41 PM, welshpug said:

doesnt matter how many teeth there are on the pinion, just different gearing.

OK Mei, maybe just a coincidence then, maybe I still have a fault but it’s working ok at the moment.

ScoobyJawa

Got 4 Speedlines refurbed (didn’t bother doing the spare), then treated with Gtechniq C5, look so much better than before :)

471226C6-9BD4-4BEF-9DC5-260AB2B01780.jpeg

Edited by ScoobyJawa
  • Like 1

karabas

Changed the wiper stalk with a good condition one and did a tiny job to have lights back. What an amazing look.

IMG_0151.jpg

• Thanks 1

AlexRS2782

Over the last 24 hours, courtesy of Miles:

- Heater matrix replaced.

- Tachometric relay replaced (looks as though this may have, touch wood, resolved the on & off starting / stalling / running issue i had).

- o.e opening rear windows & seals removed & replaced with non opening base model setup which have been tinted to match the o.e front glass.  Bought the seals & glass years ago & only got them tinted earlier this year so nice to finally get them on the car. 

One less area for the car to let water in - sunroof frame to be looked at / reseasled / replaced next Spring hopefully.

Next up, as the heater matrix is now sorted, is hopefully to get my new head unit & speakers fitted - although i'm expecting that the original stereo / speaker wiring will probably need looking at / replacing at the same time.

S@m

Over two years on from my last post, in this very topic, i actually got back to work on the 205! Now it has new sills, underside rust proofed and sealed and i've begun putting it back together.......................or more accurately, searching for those elusive NFP clips and brackets that i safely stored in a variety of boxes...somewhere?!

• Like 1

Tedski

Imaxle rear beam arrived. Gutmann mesh wheels almost done. Hit 360.000km's on the clock, still going strong :)

Philpooma
On 6/14/2019 at 10:55 AM, mmt said:

Thats an impressive result, normally there is always a small leak (or two).

Engine bay looks amazing 

Philpooma
On 7/7/2019 at 6:01 PM, Telf said:

opened the door to do yet more work, thought F**k this closed the door and considered selling it!

We have all been there with cars.

The best thing to do is what you did, come back to iit when you are in the right frame of mind.

Working in a car when you are pissed off with it often leads to things getting broken. I know from experience 

mmt
11 hours ago, Philpooma said:

Thats an impressive result, normally there is always a small leak (or two).

Engine bay looks amazing 

Engine is out again. Something went wrong on the rollers. Another vinter project. 

Philpooma
55 minutes ago, mmt said:

Engine is out again. Something went wrong on the rollers. Another vinter project. 

Thats bad news, sorry to hear it.

I’m just about to rebuild my engine, so I hope that I dont have to do it twice.

I hope that you find what the problem was so you can avoid it happening again.

My engine is stripped down at the moment

F3CC838B-D5C1-48DD-BCBC-0F50BAC4E95B.jpeg

388B8BED-E5D6-4784-A9FE-B31608541168.jpeg

Porter87

Snapped a bolt in my inlet manifold. Swore a lot, locked garage and walked away 142CF7DB-AF75-434F-9D0E-E23998EEA231.thumb.jpeg.d79a040a5eb9496470316ac08ec301fd.jpeg

54625973-D764-4B3D-AABE-F515B52FEAF4.thumb.jpeg.2fba007819843ff37e3e9b3ecea606e0.jpeg

Tom Fenton

Arrrrrrr! Off with its leg!!

94EF91A6-5B6B-408B-BD5E-197D038ABD8C.jpeg

Tom Fenton
13 minutes ago, Andy said:

Err. What happened .

A previous owner had crunched that corner, not horrendously, but the leg was already kinked slightly.

When I bashed the sump guard on the last event I did (hard enough to bend the cross bar, which is 2-1/4" by 1/8" wall CDS) that front end of the passengers leg cried enough.

Kawasaki green was not me!

D47733AE-C7DB-4557-8CD3-FC584D8D4D1D.jpeg

Steve C broke a CTI a few months ago and kindly lopped the front corner off for me. A few hours carefully unpicking has yielded these sections. More trimming to do to make them fit nicely. I was initially thinking to try and fit it as one lump, but it soon became apparent that would be very difficult if not nigh on impossible. The headlamp panel wasn't in the best shape, and replacements are cheap enough and easy to get hold of. With it split down I can make a good job of trimming and fitting the leg, then piece the inner wing etc back together.

I tell you one thing, when you start splitting it all you realise that there are only 5 spot welds holding the inner wing to the chassis leg !!

1B0B67CB-298C-49B3-9F46-98E54101AE24.jpeg

• Like 1

Andy

Impressive surgery Tom. Point taken regarding the spot welding of the inner wing to the leg . When I was ‘doing’ my engine bay and replacing the headlamp panel, I added a few stitch welds to that joint on both sides as I thought that the joint was pretty flexible. 

AlexRS2782

Nearly 1 month since Miles did the heater matrix, tacho relay, etc, finally got the chance to take it for an extended (4 hour) run.

After today, it definitely looks like the tacho relay was the current cause of the on & off again (whenever the car chose for the last couple of years) non running, cutting out, starting issues, etc.  Performed perfectly today, started & stopped with no issues, etc.  Not had that feeling in quite some time :)

Also on the plus side - with the new heater matrix the car's actually hot inside now - rather than the luke warm temps on max heat i was used to since 2011 / 12 :lol: 

Edited by AlexRS2782
  • Like 1

Tom Fenton

Leg section welded in then inner wing and a headlamp panel. Followed by some 2 pack white lovingly applied with a brush!

EA6CDDDD-37F8-443B-99B1-A44F4BADDC3F.jpeg

06276FB2-C17D-4FFF-AEE2-F1B69C053922.jpeg

• Like 2

calvinhorse

Nice work fenton! 

DSYKES5500

While the interior is stripped and replacing a bulb or two in the binnacle, I decided to put furry anti-squeak/rattle tape under all plastic surfaces that come into contact with each other and tidy up the cables.

Cables.jpg

Mmm Furry.jpg

• Like 1

Nick Parker

I bought my first 205 1.9 gti in cherry red It's great!! But I'm going to need some parts and to start with an original manual It's a 1990 car which I believe is a Phase 1.5 Any help to get me started gratefully received

Andy
19 hours ago, DSYKES5500 said:

While the interior is stripped and replacing a bulb or two in the binnacle, I decided to put furry anti-squeak/rattle tape under all plastic surfaces that come into contact with each other and tidy up the cables.

Cables.jpg

Mmm Furry.jpg

Another good idea from T.Fenton Engineering inc. which I should have adopted when my dash was in bits, but it is never too late ! 

DSYKES5500

Not the ideal place for your sunroof drain pipe to be dumping water :(

Drain Pipe.jpg

• Haha 1