• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

ScoobyJawa
On 6/22/2020 at 10:32 PM, dobboy said:

What is  dual metalising? i googled it and it brought up a company that does it? 

Did you do it or send them off? and if you sent them off can you say how much it cost?

The look really good/bright.

Yes its a company, previous members have used them too I believe.  They are really friendly and have a chat with you and engineer together up front.

You have to remove the lights and separate the components and just send them the metal reflectors.  Its about a week from receiving them to get them back again.  They are 90% good as new and the reflection is very good.

Then I repainted the plastic part that sits in front of the reflector and put them all back together with Tiger Seal inc the lenses.

Its not cheap! But I wanted to make sure the car retained its Valeo originals rather than buy aftermarket brand from Ebay or the like.  I think it was £125 plus vat.  It is much cheaper to buy cheaper replacements but that wasn't my goal.

• Like 1

dobboy
4 hours ago, Telf said:

mine from Baker lasted 7 months and started cracking ( about 3000miles!!)

That's poor. Did you send them back? 

dobboy

Double checked for any petrol leaks, got it down on to all fours, and gave it a bath.

Got it insured as part of our Admiral multi-car policy for £30 fully comp until Feb. Result!

I have another car booked for an MOT on Fri, but might take this, so gave it a once over. Had to clean and adjust brake pedal plunger switch, and clean up the contacts on the plug for NS driving light.

O/S front headlight fogged up after wash but its clear now..... if it's not raining on Fri i'll be ok!.

Gave it a run down the street and back a couple of times...... think the exhaust might be blowing slightly...... this exhaust has been the bane of my life.

IMG_8279.JPG

IMG_8280.JPG

• Like 1

Bogsye

Car's looking great Jack!

If you're stuck for fuel hose clips I might have some surplus.

Cheers,

Brian

Bogsye
4 hours ago, Telf said:

mine from Baker lasted 7 months and started cracking ( about 3000miles!!)

I'd definitely be sending them back - that's not too good.

dobboy
28 minutes ago, Bogsye said:

Car's looking great Jack!

If you're stuck for fuel hose clips I might have some surplus.

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks, i've been admiring it myself most of the day! all my painted stuff bumpers, trim etc etc has stood the test of time no problem..... think it was painted in 2013 or early 2014, i can't remember. Even my wheels look like they've just been done (Wheel Pro Scotland), but i have been careful with it.

I do have rust beginning to appear O/S rear sill though and a blister N/S rear sill....... but i'm going to breath slowly and sleep ok. The rest looks magic.

I ordered the clips i needed this morning, but thanks for the offer, I want to get same type etc so they all match 8)

Gawd, my drive is in some nick!

PXLX8792.thumb.JPG.fe4c3c800681cc2e3d0b4a6370b6743f.JPG

• Like 1

Telf
13 hours ago, dobboy said:

That's poor. Did you send them back? 

yes i did. they replaced them.

bacardincoke

Just got a set from them and they're marked Gates 4219BF Barricade (manufactured 2019), the same stuff that was recommended on your original thread as being the proper grade. Hopefully your cracked ones were just a blip. 

jackherer
On 6/25/2020 at 2:32 PM, bacardincoke said:

marked Gates 4219BF Barricade (manufactured 2019)

Genuine Gates hose is good but it looks like BakerBM got a reel of fake hose at some point.

If you look at various listings online the font used to mark the hose itself is not consistent, that seems like the best way to spot fake hose, for now at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simes

well well.....

washed it and clayed, polished and waxed the car (first time in about 6 years)

Fitted brand new light and windscreen switches which should mean the horn and washers will work on first attempt.

More to do lots of questions to ask to remind me how the car I knew so much about and have forgotten about works!

chris 417 mi

Gave it a wash, put it back in the garage again :lol:

B4FA8B4B-0201-4EB1-853C-A48AB860D09F.jpeg

bacardincoke
4 hours ago, jackherer said:

Genuine Gates hose is good but it looks like BakerBM got a reel of fake hose at some point.

If you look at various listings online the font used to mark the hose itself is not consistent, that seems like the best way to spot fake hose, for now at least.

Looking at the images in the other post, even the surface of the hose looks different to mine... you can clearly make out the braided pattern beneath the surface on the set I've been sent.

I see what you mean about the different types of font, though how do you know which is the correct one to compare to?

Gates.jpg

Gates1.jpg

Gates2.jpg

Gates3.jpg

Mac Crash

what size is OE fuel hose?

Picked up several full drums of Goodyear hose in different sizes from a local closed down workshop, looks fine, but would value opinions here.

bcObssS.jpg

If anyone needs some, PM me, don't want a lot for it.

jord294

7mm i/d 13mm o/d

Wallypug205

I’ve had the pug for a week so it started spitting out water from the reservoir and temp going up so today I decided to change the thermostat but got the wrong one lol ah also changed the fuel relay 

jackherer
18 hours ago, bacardincoke said:

I see what you mean about the different types of font, though how do you know which is the correct one to compare to?

Try to find photos on Gates own website or a supplier that is large enough to deal either directly with Gates or at least further up the supply chain than e.g. BakerBM.

There are some obvious fakes on Amazon funnily enough so you can use those as examples of what NOT to buy!

Unfortunately the people making the fakes will work this out and make the font they use closer to the correct one at some point.

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

I think this one of the ones you used as an example, from Carbuilder?

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/gates-fuel-hose-7mm-932

I need a length to replace what looks like the original 30 year old one (it's dated 1989) that runs to the fuel pressure regulator... to my eye looks like the real thing / reputable seller?

Some real s***s about, to knowingly pass off dangerous, safety critical stuff for a few quid beggars belief.

Doc 205

Changed the coolant, and ended up wearing a fair amount of it in the process!

DSYKES5500

Swapped out the "OWL" front indicators that came with the car (they show a lot of orange and don't look right) for Valeo ones, although they aren't in the best condition.

20200706_131551.jpg

20200706_131558.jpg

20200706_151613.jpg

AlexRS2782

Looking better than the driver side one on mine at the moment - I've got more of a green tint going on courtesy of some moss that's started growing inside since it's been parked up these last few months :lol:  It's on the growing list of replacement items.

For mine, dropped 2 of my EXIP wheels off with the refurbisher.  Getting one coated in a satin silver & the other in a darker satin anthracite.  Staying away from anything glossy / shiny as it will show up the standard faded paintwork too much.  Once they're done i can get them positioned up on the car, see which colour looks better, and then get the remaining 4 wheels done to match.

• Like 1

DSYKES5500

Then I went on a 60 mile drive to test the blinker fluid ;)

20200706_193908.jpg

20200706_193858.jpg

• Like 1

dobboy
4 hours ago, DSYKES5500 said:

Swapped out the "OWL" front indicators that came with the car (they show a lot of orange and don't look right) for Valeo ones, although they aren't in the best condition.

seems to be quite a big gap above the indicators and wings?

Car is looking well.

• Like 1

DSYKES5500
58 minutes ago, dobboy said:

seems to be quite a big gap above the indicators and wings?

Car is looking well.

Thanks, it went well too, lovely steady away drive. There is a big gap with the old indicators. The Valeo ones seem to fill it better. 

MrStock

Changed my broken fuel lines from baker bm to the new ones they send me. Really a s*itty work and the line to the undercar fuel pipes is leaking a little. Im really pissed off, cause the old ones where fine and i only changed them to be safe for future.

welshpug

Not mine, but for a customer that had an incomplete mi16 conversion.

swapped bodged be1 cable and clutch mechanism for a post 90 be3 setup (be1 cable had been put on the be3 hook, coach bolt in place of the pin on the quadrant :blink: )

re angled the manifold and shortenee the downpipe, welded brackets onto a supplied generic rear silencer.

changed the cv boots, wishbone balljoint boots and droplink boots (all perished new parts fitted and not used a few years!)

fitted a BE1 gearstick, properly reassembled the linkage, actually feels really tight now, without any aftermarket parts.

replaced a missing steering rack bolt :blink:

fitted new bearings to the beam and adjusted the height to match the b4/eibach up front, new handbrake cables as the drums were off.

made a radiator and cooling fan bracket, slightly lower and further forward to clear the standard length Mi16 inlet manifold.

repaired a broken wire to the ignition coil, replaced 2 missing relays, spark plugs and leads.

made an alternator adjuster bracket.

set the wiper arm heights and fitted new wipers.

Think I'm done now :lol:

oh yeah swapped out the solid discs that were in on 1.6 hubs and calipers !!

20200526_192012.jpg

20200604_180930.jpg

Edited by welshpug