• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

Richie-Van-GTi

Started to reassemble the engine, looking OK so far, apart from grubby finger prints everywhere :P

IMG_20190416_211744.jpg

• Thanks 1

AlexRS2782

Been taking advantage of the decent weather these past 3 days to try and get to the bottom of the running / cutting out issue i had last year.  

Did the car replicate the issue?  Of course not - turns out as the weather is now so nice / warm, etc, it seems the car is very happy to drive, run and do pretty much whatever for as long as you want it too perfectly fine - which i guess is a good thing.  Just not ideal for figuring out why it didn't run well in the cold (sub 10degreesC).

I guess the only conclusion is that the car is effectively just like the rest of us and doesn't like going out in colder or crappy weather :lol:

Ah good ol' classic cars - such fun.

Just need to get it cleaned up and prepped for an oil / filter service, MOT before the end of the first week of May next.

205Rallee

At the Isle of Man Classic 3 day Hillclimb on closed parts of the TT course

85B83FB1-2335-44C2-A2B1-9617F5646F1D.jpeg

AlexRS2782

Had the car detailed on Wednesday - nice and shiny again :)  Well for 1 day at least anyway, as by the end of Thursday & also after today it's already gained a new coating of saharan dust / pollen again :(

Crescent205

Getting YUT ready for the Curborough sprint later this month, had a few hours spanner checking and tidying.

yut 1.JPG

yut 2.JPG

yut 3 .jpg

• Thanks 1

SweetBadger

Drove it... Finally... 

Well not today, but last Tuesday at Silverstone. Car ran flawlessly for 4+ hours on track, had a lot of fun! Bit of confidence that we can get through some long endurance races this season without breaking down!

The gearbox I brought from @brumster really completes the car (hybrid box with 1&2 from a 1.9 gti and 3,4,5 from Gti6 with 4.4CWP). Was just hitting the rev limiter at 8150rpm in fifth at the end of Hangar Straight, so perfectly geared for the track, and the short 3rd 4th & 5th works brilliantly.

406 Brembo 4 pots worked really well too, and the pads didn't come out wedged like with the old 306 hdi setup we used to run. 

205-09.jpg

205-06.jpg

205-04.jpg

205-12.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

karabas
On 3/22/2019 at 9:37 AM, Telf said:

Discovered it apparently takes a week to fit all the components in the engine bay when you have no idea what nut/bracket and bolt went where!!!

received_421270551766146.jpeg

What a great job. Hope I'll do some day. Want to ask 2 red head wires under the inlet manifold. I thought only one goes to alternator.

• Haha 1

Telf
On 5/5/2019 at 7:21 PM, karabas said:

What a great job. Hope I'll do some day. Want to ask 2 red head wires under the inlet manifold. I thought only one goes to alternator.

One is the alternator the other for the start solenoid

• Like 1

karabas

Before&After story.

IMG_9607.JPG

IMG_9646.JPG

• Like 3

chris 417 mi

Bought one :p

8A335592-9C1F-430B-8212-970D2C7ECAF2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

AlexRS2782

Not today but earlier in the week.  Service & MOT with Miles with nothing more than an advisory for the usual headlight alignment due to the Morette's.  Also got some decent exercise wandering around Salibsury for a few hours :)

Give it a few months and hopefully get it booked back in over the Autumn or Winter to get it converted to aftermarket management and a few other bits & bobs too.

Started to make inroads to get my EXIP alloys refurbed, but still having issues finding someone to try replicating the centre caps via 3D printing for a decent price.

Richie-Van-GTi

Nothing done to mine but moved 2 for chris

IMG_20190511_133047.jpg

• Haha 1

Richie-Van-GTi

Picked it up from the body shop after 3 months. Getting wing tomorrow as wasn't quite right.

IMG_20190515_175952.jpg

IMG_20190515_175947.jpg

Doc 205

Technically speaking I didn’t do anything, but my horn started working again randomly, which was a pleasant surprise. One less thing on the MOT list. Just the windscreen skooshers and reverse light to do now. 

Tom Fenton

Reverse light not tested.

Doc 205
45 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

Seriously? Sweet. Windscreen skooshers it is then!

jackherer
12 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Not on a 205 but it has recently been added for cars made after 2009!

Doc 205

Checked my windscreen skoosher pump to make sure that it was getting power. Was getting 12v, so have ordered a new pump. 

My engine was also hunting quite badly when it got up to temperature so I messed around with carbs and got it idling a lot lower. Will get it to a rolling road shortly to get them properly set up. 

karabas

Heater control panel reconditioning done.

After solving the engine problem with Damir's valuable help and now it's time to put the stuff back on car.

IMG_9780.JPG

dale205mills
  • I painted inside of panels and pulled car out of workshop and I even took a look at the car I'm going to brake for parts as it ended up in a ditch and twisted the front of car

FB_IMG_1559424957161.jpg

FB_IMG_1559424979249.jpg

FB_IMG_1559425208085.jpg

FB_IMG_1559425224180.jpg

FB_IMG_1559425010992.jpg

Edited by dale205mills
Wording

AlexRS2782

Last week - took delivery of yet another Momo Corse steering wheel - this time a D35 3 spoke and also got hold of a period correct Corse centre cap.  Added to the collection of a D32 3 spoke & D36 4 spoke i already have but still haven't decided which of them i fancy using for a bit of early '90's retro modding.

Spent Saturday cleaning off a fair amount of dried on cement residue that had stuck to the underside of my car.  Thankfully having the dealer fit kit means most of it was stuck to the skirt instead of the sills.  I have a local construction company to thank for that as they're building a new house nearby but have decided the best thing to do is pour all of the cement mixer washout, etc, into the road rather than keeping it on site.

Today - removed the original speakers from the car.  Unsurprisingly every single one was either cracked, split or falling apart so no wonder they've never worked very well (if at all) in the time i've owned the car.  Also discovered that the retro Kenwood cassette head unit i'd fitted back in early '09 appears to have finally died as the wiring shows a live feed but it's no longer powering up so off to find another (more modern) headunit to drop into the car alongside the new slimline front speakers i bought a year ago.  Decided there's not much point in fitting new rears as i can't see them doing much tbh.

Hopefully get the new speakers in at some point in the next week or so.

Simes

Started it up for the first time in 2 months - :( 

Rubber fuel hose completely perished - solved the problem of me trying to track down the smell of fuel for the last year.

chris 417 mi

Opened the garage door, Looked at it, cried at how much needs to be done in the coming months and shut the garage door again :D

Telf

Picked up my seats after a leather refurb..

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1560081295903.jpeg