• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

woodymi16
3 hours ago, Wallby said:

Looks good. Some 205s came without the moveable vents, that could work too. I managed to pick 1 up on eBay fairly cheap not that long ago.

Screenshot_20200604-092120.thumb.png.c391d9964c9cd752d4fffa354b9c6e25.png

Looks tidy, I need to sort out the area below the hazard switch now

boldy205

That's very neat.  As I'm a carpenter I made my gauge holder from MDFand painted it satin black. . I'll admit it's highly embarrassing and have always had it on the 'to do' list! 

woodymi16

Oil changes today, not a cheap day either

74C896DE-AD8D-4660-BEE9-5F6CBBE14225.thumb.jpeg.eaac6e72678dd104055c61032453cc6a.jpeg

barneys66

Not today, nor by me for that matter, but @jackherer recently sent me a couple of pics of the tasty new TTV Racing (nice product, s*ite service) lightened flywheel being fitted.  Custom made, weighing in at 3.4kg, hence serial number 0001 :):

49928070427_f22364739a_b.jpg

49934628542_485530b7a0_b.jpg

OEM 205 diesel clutch:

49928070912_c783b7aedb_b.jpg

2.0kw starter ready to go in - a NOS £20 bargain off eBay:

49815216412_319b461779_h.jpg

And some 0.74 fifth gears, which might be a bit leggy but were a beer token bargain from @marksorrento205 :

49927249163_490f3d3c67_h.jpg

Wanted to buy a Quaife LSD that was advertised on here but dithered too long and it sold, so that's an upgrade for another day..

• Haha 1

ScoobyJawa

Finally got my headlights back in a few weeks back. Taken them apart, reflectors refinished by dual metalising repainted the plastic trim and reassembled with tiger seal. Look so much better than the rusty reflectors!

20698862-9883-4609-AAA2-3DCD10054AE9.jpeg

• Haha 1

Mac Crash

ERCmJbD.jpg

moved cars into new storage/workshop, in 2nd year now running my own small drainage company after many years of working for others, so decided the company could justify this.

stumbled on it by chance doing some private work for a local joinery contractor who owns 3 units and had one going spare, had to have it because it was so cheap.

plan is best of both worlds... work on cars and respond when call-out comes in. Should keep me motivated and busy anyhow...

Rally car on hold, loads still to do but current situation with CV19 renders it useless anyway. They're talking about September due to the 2 meter distance rule. Unless your wife is the co-driver, lol... she has Estonian licence so probably better qualifeid than me anyway. I've had my 1.9 road car a long time now and really need to see it back on the road where it belongs. Been SORN'd with suspected HG failure, started stripping her down today, exhaust system full of coolant and it's present in the oil too, so we will see. Then I noticed just how crusty the rest of the front end  is, radiator is shot, oil cooler is weeping, sub-frame, wishbones, anti-roll bar etc look like the Titanic.... rear O/S sill is holed, beam is wrecked, you know where it's going.

Was just going to change the head with a better cam and do the beam, but my mind tells me, no point... let's fix it up properly, so at least a partial resto is on the cards, better that way I console myself as I can barely bare to look at what is is required.

All perfectly doable though and I do love this car... don't know about your's but mine still has that amazing only French, slightly wet. possibly mouldy, dank bitter sweet, but not unpleasant smell inside, it's unique to 205's and the way to tell a good one.

Project thread? yip... it is now... one good thing about it is though, you get to really know your own car, still consoling myself but looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Doc 205

Tucked it up in the garage having passed its MOT. Will take it for a proper drive after changing the coolant tomorrow.

On that point, what type of coolant should I be using for an Mi16?

Edited by Doc 205

jeremy

Well I know my average post count over the last decade probably totalled about 1 or 2 a year, I would like to thank everyone who helped me over the years of 205 ownership.

Today I finally left the fold after selling my 205 through Ebay in less than half an hour for a price I was happy for.

So thanks again for having me.

All the best to everyone Jeremy

• Like 2

dobboy
On 4/28/2020 at 10:04 PM, Bogsye said:

Dusted it off, mounted it up, and put it on it's side!

49831192976_66a41f991e.jpg

Starting the restoration (yet again)

Brian

LOL, hope you are well.

You stiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllll at this?

dobboy

"Happy Patrol" came for a quick visit the other night in his 205 which is looking the business.

So spent the day tidying my garage and tools in preparation for flexi fuel pipe change, and just read through all of my refurbish thread from (which seems like a lifetime ago).

It's about time my 205 hit the roads again or it will get taken away in 5yrs time on the back of a transporter.

Bogsye
12 hours ago, dobboy said:

LOL, hope you are well.

You stiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllll at this?

LOL - hanging on in there!! The most stalled project ever...

Hope you’re well too! Saw a nice silver GTi with pts grill stripes yesterday at Davieland Road by Rouken Glen. 

The TVR has absorbed too much time. It shattered a valve shim which morphed into a complete strip down and refresh of the engine. Was on the home straight except for the clutch I had rebuilt which was poorly setup. Had to pull the clutch out to get that sorted and have only just refitted it all to discover it’s still not right. Hopefully pull it apart again this week and buy the new clutch - which of course I should have done in the first place...All I have done is spend more money turning a previously working clutch into scrap. Maybe I’ll be able to sell the ‘refurbished clutch for it’s driven plates. 

Its been a weird year. Feels good to have the 205 accessible to work on. Bought one of those metal shearing and folding machines for fashioning up the repair sections. The repair panel for the boot floor arrived, so I’m currently working on the back end. 

Good luck getting yours up and running again! 

Brian

• Like 1

dobboy

Stripped down my fuel pipes, these pipes are date stamped 2013, and fuel is spraying out the cracks at bends..... very annoying.

Thought I’d give my fuel lines a treat while I was under so took them off, rubbed them down, and gave them 2 coats of Hydrate 80..... might spray them before they go back on.

Fitted new fuel line brackets I forgot I had bought previously.

8A5BC307-70B1-4F56-AA27-BF9E5CDA3071.jpeg

34F4EDE8-D051-46E7-93CA-F23C920F3DB3.jpeg

• Like 1

Bogsye

That's disaponting about the old rubber hoses!

I've just done my TVR with Cohline hose, in the hope that it's better than the dodgy Gates hose that's been kicking around.

If I rust treated the hard-pipes on my 205, I'd think they would disolve completely! LOL!

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Ive done my rally car in the “best spec” Cohline hose from Merlin Motorsport. 18 months so far so good.

• Like 1

dobboy

Yes it’s a pain, the cracks are only really at the bends. There’s no manufacturer stamped or I’d be getting on to them, last time I turned car over if it had started it would have been on fire. I’m hoping the reason it never started last time was due to low fuel pressure caused by the pipes, does that sound reasonable?

I was going to buy Gates hose! I’ll not bother.

I’ll have a look at the Cohline stuff. 

welshpug

gates is fine if you get the right stuff, think its called barricade.

Bogsye

I agree Barricade is likely the right version. I think it also boils down to source that it comes from, ie sourcing from companies that deal in hose in decent quantities and not eBay sellers.

There was a period from around 2016 where there was seemingly fake hose kicking around.

The main issue was ethanol content rising in fuel (which many earlier hoses were not suitable for), plus for the TVR lot, high under bonnet temperatures causing hoses to deteriorate. Ethanol obviously damaged the interior of the hose, so apparently good hose was in reality on the verge of failure.

Initially I looked to get Gates hose, but I couldn't verify anything I was seeing as genuine, hence I looked to Cohilne. 

dobboy
14 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Ive done my rally car in the “best spec” Cohline hose from Merlin Motorsport. 18 months so far so good.

Hi, i can only see "high spec" on Melin's site, is that the stuff you used?

(Looking at the datasheet it is Cohline's 2240)

dobboy
2 hours ago, Bogsye said:

I think I got mine through Carbuilder

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/rubber-fuel-hose#/pageSize=20&viewMode=grid&orderBy=15&pageNumber=1

Bought a bunch of the proper fuel line hose clips at the same time.

Hope that's of some help.

Cheers! I've ordered the tube stuff i need, just need to get a filter. 

Typically, been glorious for weeks but as soon as i have any thoughts of putting the 205 on the road it pisses down!

dobboy
On 6/8/2020 at 9:17 PM, ScoobyJawa said:

Finally got my headlights back in a few weeks back. Taken them apart, reflectors refinished by dual metalising repainted the plastic trim and reassembled with tiger seal. Look so much better than the rusty reflectors!

20698862-9883-4609-AAA2-3DCD10054AE9.jpeg

What is  dual metalising? i googled it and it brought up a company that does it? 

Did you do it or send them off? and if you sent them off can you say how much it cost?

The look really good/bright.

AlexRS2782

Booked the car in for a long overdue detail - fair bit of sand / crud from sitting these past few months :(

Started to make plans (again) into finally getting the EXIP alloys refurbed - found the company to do it but still stuck between getting them done in a matte silver or a matte anthracite finish (similar to the Goodwood alloys).  Having roughly trial painted 1 wheel at home with a Miami blue centre & silver rim (for '90's Max Power retro lol's) i decided that definitely wasn't the way to go :lol:

dobboy

Got all my fuel pipes done and now up and running, but need a couple of bigger fuel pipe clips.

Might try get an MOT this week.

dobboy
3 hours ago, AlexRS2782 said:

Booked the car in for a long overdue detail - fair bit of sand / crud from sitting these past few months :(

Started to make plans (again) into finally getting the EXIP alloys refurbed - found the company to do it but still stuck between getting them done in a matte silver or a matte anthracite finish (similar to the Goodwood alloys).  Having roughly trial painted 1 wheel at home with a Miami blue centre & silver rim (for '90's Max Power retro lol's) i decided that definitely wasn't the way to go :lol:

What about getting the backs done Miami blue?

Telf
On 6/21/2020 at 8:04 PM, dobboy said:

Yes it’s a pain, the cracks are only really at the bends.

mine from Baker lasted 7 months and started cracking ( about 3000miles!!)