• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Matt180

[project] 205 Gti 180 Track Car

welshpug

Sounds a very decent solution :D nicely done.

Better than just bolting the ARB up tight!

Edited by welshpug

Spiky

very nicely done and loving the new stance,

can i ask what the rear shocks are from?

semi indipendant is something i was thinking about, but wasnt sure how to go about it,

welshpug

why make it less independent than std?

Matt180

It seems i was getting the definitions wrapped around my head. Rear beams are independent, i stand corrected. Suspensions never been my strong point anyway :)

Spikey- The dampers are universal type fitted to most kit cars. Make sure you go for spherical bearing type and not bushed. Can get them from tweeks etc and just choose your spring manufacturer.

shalmaneser

I think you'll miss the rear ARB but very interested to hear how you get on.

Would love to do this to mine, so much more adjustable and better choice of spring rate than the TBs.

qwerty

The trailing arms have been machined on the inside to accept a side contact bearing. A shaft runs down the beam tube which is tapped at each end. Then its just bolted through the bearing to load them up.

Not weigh the torsion bars and ARB but i have saved a lot of weight too which is a bonus!

Hi Matt

Sorry to be a paint. I'm having a hard job understanding what holds the arm on the beam tube still, do you have any pics to explain?

Really big fan if this car mate.

Matt180

Ill get some up next time im on my laptop.

Tbh the way ive explained should give you a better idea than pics as you cant see it once fitted.

Its basically a long bolt from one side too the other. Obviously it cant be just bolted because each side needs to be independent so thats why the bearings are used.

rjw205

Great project Matt - what length dampers (9/10, 10/11 etc) did you go for with your rear turrets?

barry d

Love the wheels mate.

qwerty

How'd you get on at Santa Pod yesterday?

I was gutted because I missed your run, mind I heard and it sounded powerful :)). Had a good walk round the car when it was sitting in the paddock, love the purposeful look you got going. I hung around a bit for a chat but you must of been stuck by all the awesome stuff there lol

Matt180

I only did 3 runs, best was 12.9 which is slower than last time. Its ristricted at the moment so down on power, it was more of a test day really!.

I spent most of the day sunbathing on the bank :)

• Like 2

Schumi

Is there any news Matt ?

Matt180

No big developments yet. I am really impressed with the handling now, turn in seems a lot sharper and it doesn't squat at all now under load. I watched a video from Santapod and the rear end hardly drops on launch!.

Ill be stripping the car down over winter and start getting things sorted for the new engine. Bottom end is built and im just deciding how far to go with the head!

Here's a few pics from the Nurburgring

554565_10152080825458989_1767445627_n.jp​

5th lap of the ring

1016761_10152064510548989_1375066897_n.j

229573_10152064491393989_1481946336_n.jp​

1005618_10152064614773989_1594306687_n.j​

• Like 1

Schumi

Did you build your new engine? How about your CP high cr pistons for boost?

Matt180

No Sandy Brown is building it. The Pistons are designed to give near standard compression which is high at 11.1

Schumi

I'm sure Sandy will build a decent engine for you. The hardest part is waiting I guess.

rallyeash

Good read and fair play, awesome build!!

You running another engine with stock internals till sandy has done the engine?!

Matt180

Yeah running a standard lump at the moment...holding up so far :)

rallyeash

Where did you get wheels from too?

Matt180

Buy them direct from Revolution. I wanted 15x8 but they wouldn't clear my brakes. With the 45 profile they are only 30mm bigger in total which probably help a little with traction too

Edited by Matt180

stu8v

they look cool but a bit big imho 15's are the best

Edited by stu8v

welshpug

looks very good on them, 205 45 16" ?

what disc and caliper do you run? should see the disc that colin got in behind his 15x8 revolutions

rallyeash

I'm debating a pair of 15 x 8 revolution 5 spokes for the front of my 205. Will sort the cooling problem I have with C5's and clear brakes without spacers.

Et 0 offset worked ok for you and you didn't find any issues fowling suspension or anything? Just maybe some arch fettling required?

Welsh pug, Colin has 9x15 revolutions!

What running gear width are you on the front too? 309 or 205?

Cheers

Edited by rallyeash

Matt180

looks very good on them, 205 45 16" ?

what disc and caliper do you run? should see the disc that colin got in behind his 15x8 revolutions

225/45/16 all round.

I have AP 5200 4 pots with 300mm disc and bells. When i contacted Revolution they told me none of there 15's would give enough caliper clearance. Colin may have done a bit of work to get the on??. i thought about getting new bells made and bringing the caliper in more...would have been very close to the ball joint though.

Edited by Matt180

Matt180

I'm debating a pair of 15 x 8 revolution 5 spokes for the front of my 205. Will sort the cooling problem I have with C5's and clear brakes without spacers.

Et 0 offset worked ok for you and you didn't find any issues fowling suspension or anything? Just maybe some arch fettling required?

Welsh pug, Colin has 9x15 revolutions!

What running gear width are you on the front too? 309 or 205?

Cheers

I'm still on 205 width front and back. Yeah et0 bolted straight on with more clearance than my old et18 Rota's on the insides. I cut a fair bit out of the arch's but with 15's you shouldn't have to do as much (depending on tyre size)

• Like 1