• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Matt180

[project] 205 Gti 180 Track Car

Tesstuff

See you there then Neil ;)

Matt180

Good figures , what the power at the wheels, as fly wheel figures are pub talk figures as we all know :)

More than enough, about 345bhp if i remember correctly. It will be restricted back down to 7200rpm again now (around 320bhp) to help keep the pistons and rods where they should be :D

I might pop up to Donington on the 3rd for a quick look then if you dont mind?

Neil

Yeah come over and say hello, bring a helmet ;)

• Like 1

Spiky

****just re read my reply and it sounds like i'm having a pop, far from it :), glad you took right way :)

awesome figures dude :), i'd love that in mine, what sort of boost you running?

no wonder it looks quick in the video :)

i havent read the whole thread, what pistons/bottom end you running

Henry 1.9GTi

awesome build. Great work and very clean! Love seeing a 205 driven hard, alot of trackday goers underestimate even the lesser powered varients.

I think I know what I'll be doing for the next engine in a few years :)

Come to brands in october! I wanna see it lol

R5-al

Just read this, what a car! Lovely work

• Like 1

daza4

So whats the next plans then?? Any more mods or just time to enjoy it?

Oh and no garage pictures yet.....

MikeyMike
The engine is staying standard so im not goin for big power figures, ill be restricting it to 7-8 psi and hoping for 250 at the wheels.

:D

Joking aside, what an awesome build I'm so jealous of this car.

• Like 1

Matt180

So whats the next plans then?? Any more mods or just time to enjoy it?

Oh and no garage pictures yet.....

Not really any majors plans, just a few extra's to tidy things up. New catch tank, air filter pipe.

The gearbox broke at donnington a few months back so need to look at that over winter. I really want a dog box but that will have to wait, ill be fitting another standard one for now.

The garage is finished now and has been in use for a few months. Current mission is block paving the drive, already laid 25,000 blocks and have 7,000 to go!. Ill get some pics up

allanallen

Only just caught up on your thread Matt, bloody impressive figures!! Hopefully be able to see it in action next year sometime. Top work fella!

• Like 1

Matt180

Cheers mate.

Finally found a few hours to swap the gearbox. Booked Donington this sunday, be rude not to sneak in 1 last trackday in 2012 :)

Matt180

While i have 5 mins i thought i'd update the thread.

Towards the end of last year i finally mananged to build an exhaust that keeps the noise under 98db. I had no choice other than to fit a chambered style box. It has added some extra weight but needs must!!

Exhaust

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 717x960 and weights 83KB.

205exhaust_zps03aa20b8.jpg

The first trackday after repacing the gearbox i had major engine failure after about 5 hot laps........

Ohhh Dear

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 960x717 and weights 101KB.

64510_10151606293088989_73512010_n_zps8d

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x764 and weights 365KB.

7A54B1DB-C175-4B77-A412-DD264756A755-921

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 764x1024 and weights 290KB.

52738059-8FAB-402B-9933-FC3648DD9E36-921

I knew this would happen sooner or later asking so much of a standard engine!. I was very suprised to see the piston has actually come off the rod, i was expecting the usual snapped rod or rod bolt.

A new forged engine is in the process of being spec'd, there isn't much on the market for these engines so it will all be custom 1 off parts. I wont go into spec untill its built but im expecting well into the 400 bhp mark.

While i wait for the engine i have a few alterations to do on the car so i can put the extra power on the tarmac. Ill be looking at changing spring rates, fitting adjustable lower arms and rear turrets.

New wheels aswell....

16x8 Revolutions (225/45/16 tyres) and wide arch kit

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x764 and weights 275KB.

3111E8EE-08AE-4137-A1C6-C724E9648126-921

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x764 and weights 281KB.

3F5B2E46-07B4-4B9B-8320-13CB5595A818-921

Should provide the extra grip required smiley1.gif

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x764 and weights 291KB.

0FAEB4B4-E68D-445E-97A4-3FA8CE2382B1-921

• Like 2

stu8v

Bummer about the engine......

But Wow! Nice project

madaxgt

Wow never seen a crank go there very strange, must be from crank speed not too much cylinder pressure. Do you still run stock pulley and what are you revving it to?

Are the cranks cast?

Nice project btw and love the new wheels very aggresive is the offset correct?

Matt180

Wow never seen a crank go there very strange, must be from crank speed not too much cylinder pressure. Do you still run stock pulley and what are you revving it to?

Are the cranks cast?

Nice project btw and love the new wheels very aggresive is the offset correct?

Its happened due to trapping the broken piston between the weight and the block.

The wheels are et 0 so not far off.

HERMAN

I take it that gear box was not the problem?

cybernck

What ET are the wheels?

Cant see any photos of the wide arch kit.

Matt180

What ET are the wheels?

Cant see any photos of the wide arch kit.

ET 0

Sorry i worded it wrong really, i dont have the wide arch trims yet. Need to get the tyres fitted etc and finish of the rest of the suspension setup first.

Matt180

I take it that gear box was not the problem?

Not sure what you mean mate? the gearbox went on the previous trackday to the engine blowing??

Andy205

Uffff, shame about the engine damage but a very nice project.

I'm very intrested to know how 400hp drives through fwd :D

Matt180

I think you would be surprised on how little drama there is!!. Obviously going from 200 bhp N/A to 370bhp required a few changes in driving style but i get next to no wheel spin. Thats mainly down to the way a s/c delivers its power.

Pistons and rods have been spec'd so are ready to order. Expected to take 2 months to manufacture so progress on the engine will be slow, i just hope its ready for the ring trip i have planeed in july!

Shakey_Jake

Awesome project you got there, must be fairly rapid. Will look ace with them wheels fitted. What wide arch kit will you be using?

Andy205

I think you would be surprised on how little drama there is!!. Obviously going from 200 bhp N/A to 370bhp required a few changes in driving style but i get next to no wheel spin. Thats mainly down to the way a s/c delivers its power.

Pistons and rods have been spec'd so are ready to order. Expected to take 2 months to manufacture so progress on the engine will be slow, i just hope its ready for the ring trip i have planeed in july!

I suppose so, Bolting on a turbo to gain that sort of power would give you a very agressive power curve but should pull steadily with a super chager. Pluss with the right set up and rubber...

Fingers crossed the rods and pistons arrive on time then. Be nice to get some testing in before the ring!

Schumi

Hello. I'm really sorry to see that your broken engine. I was thinking my daily drive gti180 to rotrex low boost like 300hp. But I change my mind and I bought a spare EW10 GTI138 engine. I'm now getting K1 Tech Conrods and Wiseco pistons for EW10 engine. Its proven parts on that engine via dp-engineerings.

Which parts are you getting for forged internals?

HERMAN

Doh sorry my mistake.

Matt180

Im having custom piston and rods made as i want to keep it standard (high) compression. Only problem is waiting 2 months for them to be made!!