• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rallyeash

[trackday_prep] 205 2.1 16V Rallye Track Car

Dj_mini

I after them for just the front as well but im thinking I will buy four so I can have spare set as if I get a flat or scrub a tyre out its day over or swap back to 7 inch set to keep it going for the day not sure I will have to look at the cost of them as that the deciding factor.

rallyeash

Yeah I know what you mean. However having a set of 15x7's on the rear and 15x8's on the front plus a spare pair for each axle gets expensive.

What's the latest on your car then Dan?

Edited by rallyeash

Dj_mini

Ash I had some problems with installation of the new engine after it came off the dyno and a few other changes I wanted to do but its all ready for a trim up on the rollers then should be all good for this year.

What are your plans for this year?

rallyeash

Hope nothing to serous though?

Well mines all back together now and nearly ready for an outing so will probably book up a day at Combe for Feb. I'm looking to do a couple of races this year if all goes to plan. The French trophy has an open class which is on with the Nippon challenge on the race days. Need to do my licence and stuff though.

Apart from that will go to the usual shows, pugfest etc. you planning much?

blandy

Please post up when you know which races your entering as would love to see yours out on the track hopefully its somewhere local

rallyeash

got all the R888's fitted the weekend and stuck the TD 1.2's on. Bonnet is being sprayed inside and outside hence it isn't fitted.

Looking forward to getting all the decals back on it as to me it looks very boring like this!

205withTD_zpsf8736334.jpg

rallyeash

had a day on it around at the body shop yesterday.

the inside of the bonnet was all rusty and horrible so that got the Krust treatment followed by a coat of Epoxy primer on the areas.

IMG_3287_zpsee7ca80d.jpg

once that was dried it got a fresh coat of white

IMG_3288_zps0a8ec286.jpg

This was a bonnet i picked up after the crash last year and it had been sprayed before and laquered. My car isnt laquered as its direct gloss so it always looked a bit different. I flattened it back then that was sprayed up too.
My phone died at this point so no more pictures im afraid.

rallyeash

I'm trying to correct some bump steer which is caused by lowering cars and bad steering rack angles...

The normal way is to go for rose joints and lower the point where the TRE/rose joint bolts to the hub.

So to achieve this you need a M14 X 1.5 pitch rose joint, however getting one with enough thread to wind onto the rack is a problem. A standard TRE has around 70mm thread whereas a M14 rose joint has 38mm.

My solution...

is to run 306 inner track rod ends to overcome the shortfall in length of the rose joint. It works in theory but I'm not sure if its going to be straight forward in reality.

so to start with I ordered a pair of Lemforder 306 inner track rods

right then,

they measure just under 370mm overall, think this is about 30mm longer per side than a 205 track rod.

306trackrod_zpsc55314c4.jpg

and the business end of them..... Haha, might need to trim them down a touch but theres plenty of thread before it will bottom out on the spanner flats.

306trackrod2_zpsec900530.jpg

Ive also ordered a pair of Fluro PTFE rose joints and a pair of half nuts from Merlin Motorsport like these which should arrive tomorrow.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/fluro-m14-x-1-5-r-h-gasw14-15

rallyeash

Bonnet stuck back on.

Now have the job of aligning all the doors properly, hanging the bumper correct, aligning the bonnet and fitting the aero catches and then get some decals back on the naked looking 205!

205withbonneton_zpsf0e180ff.jpg

wicked

Good progress!!

The disadvantage of black rims (to my opinion) is that they'll make the rims look smaller.

You might consider putting a red stripe on the lip of the rims??

9s7d.jpg​

(car is not mine; pictures from elsewhere)

• Like 1

rallyeash

im quite happy that black makes them smaller. I wouldn't want them to look any bigger on my car :-)

rallyeash

rose joints turned up so I can carry on with my rose joint steering rack

IMG_3327_zps4a6dec43.jpg

rallyeash

VTS rack turned up and took the 205 track rods and TRE's off. (was fitted to a 205 already)

306/rose joints sit a bit longer than 205 length. Might be able to get away with not cutting because of the 309 gear but at worst ill take a bit off.

trackrods_zps7ae4c8ae.jpg

all built up. ready to test fit!

steeringrack_zps8f4776cf.jpg

rallyeash

had a full day on the car today.

first of all pulled off the standard rallye rack which is 3.8 turns.

I measured my new VTS rose joint rack at a minimum of 126cm, the rack that came off my car from centre to centre of track rod ends was 123mm. so I had to trim down my 306 rods so it would fit.

took 20mm off each side.

endscutoff_zpsb7fabc3a.jpg

Then fitted the rack on, had to drop the subframe down to be able to get the VTS one in place.

Im awaiting the adaptors to come from allanallen so to get the car back on its wheels I had to drop a couple of bolts through so I can push it back over to its storage.

rackfitter_zps8e24ce43.jpg

Then fitted the aero catches back on and fitted some of the panels proper as were just hung on the car for spraying. then gave it a clean, even polished the under side of the bonnet and cleaned the bay. Thing this is the first time ive stood back and started to feel happy about the car since I crashed it last year.

Bumpers not fitted proper, have ordered a fitting kit for the front and a pair of the bumper/ inner wing supports in stainless steel so once they arrive ill fit the bumper on correct.

frontend2_zps6a05741c.jpg

frontend_zps08112346.jpg

little picture of the wheels and with its new paint....

wingandwheel_zpsdbe69d83.jpg

calvinhorse

Sweeeeeeeet :)

Wallby

What did you do to the brake hose clip on the inner arch after? Did you cut the original off and put it in the GTI position?

I need to do something to mine as now I have the GTI front setup the droplinks are catching on the rubber protector at the top of the hose.

rallyeash

you mean where the copper line meets the braided/flexi?

if so I cant remember as I changed to GTI suspension in 2006 but I probably cut and re welded it if it was a problem. I can get some pics at some point and should be able to tell whats different on mine to yours.

Wallby

Yeah where the copper line meets the braided flex.

I was looking at this topic, http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=137431. If you could get me a photo of what you did end up doing that would be great. I'm undecided on whether to move the mount or not as I've got some braided hoses on the way and they look a lot thinner than the current ones so might clear it.

rallyeash

I'll take a look and let you know.

rallyeash

Tom Fenton bits turned up this morning so I can fit the front bumper correctly.

bumperbits_zps4f37ae24.jpg

camgti

Schmick

Sam

This looks like a really nice build. Well done.

I miss my 205.

Sam

In my opinion then it just looks like every other track 205. It will only have 8' front rims and the rear will trail on either the current C5's or if it looks odd will buy a set of 6' rear rims to match.

With et10 offset they will stick out a bit wide on the front but I have been looking at having the front wings rolled by someone like archenemy.co.uk so it will look pretty subtle.

It looks much better when all the rallye decals are back fitted. In my opinion it looks very plain and boring without.

Yeah you're right. Looking back I should have left it as it was. I'd bought some 16x9s I wanted to use though and there was no chance. 8s should be ok though with the right tyre choice?

That's Sams old rallye, wonder how he is getting on in Oz. sorry I'm being off topic.

Doing well mate, looking for another 205 here if the mrs will let me. They're going for mega money though.

rallyeash

Couple of small updates.

My 205 as you can imagine is fairly hard to get in and out of, the snap off steering wheel helps but the ignition barrel also gets in the way. It got in the way around 2 weeks ago when I wanted to move the car and got in with the key in the ignition barrel and snapped it off with my foot! lucky it wasn't half way through a trackday or something.

so I decided to cut the ignition barrel off the steering column and do away with it all together. Added an ignition switch and a push button start which mounts up on the dash like so.

dashbutton_zpsef4bc6e8.jpg

Ive now received my cambered hubs from bridgecraft engineering and the bump steer adaptors which look fantastic.

Last night I fitted a pair of new SKF bearings into them. Was a nightmare trying to remove one of the old circlips which was just seized solid and ended up coming out in tiny little sections with using a hammer and a drift.

My hubs all ready to be fitted which I plan on doing this evening.

hubs_zps30477c38.jpg

dcc

What are those hubs off then? 306/Xsara? Looks good :)