• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
denva2682

Anyone From Kent?

pugpete1108

sweet sunday it is then, pm me your adress and a time and its game on.

Rob (monkee87) wants to come down for some help stripping his beam too if you dont mind another body loitering around your house?

james_pug

I can do next Sunday if you want extra help

Jemehan

Yeah your all welcome to come along, more hand the better, as i hear the torsion bar bits are pretty heavy...and (as it probs shows) i havent got a clue!!! :lol: i will pm my adress to you

monkee87

Torsion bars are the heaviest bit of a rear axle didn't you know?! :lol: Thanks for letting me come down. I'd like to see everyones cars too. :P

Jemehan

nice one monkee fill me with confidence! lolz. i wanna see everyones cars, and i need help so itll be a good chance for us all to see....mine ina bad state :lol:

monkee87

I was being sarcastic! :lol: The heaviest part is the trailing arm i think. When the whole thing is together it's bloody heavy.. Especially a 309 rear beam, that extra 2 inches seem to make it even heavier!! Glad mine is in bits now, makes it easier to bring along on sunday. :D

What's up with your car? I think mine is in a bad state too, it's MOT'd though, so maybe i'm just being pedantic. The best bit about my car is the wheels, i got them refurbed in December! Everything else seems worn on my car, needs a respray aswell.. You'll see what i mean when you see it. It's got loads of little niggles, they are such a pain. Oh well, spose it's the joy of owning a French car eh?! :D

nice one monkee fill me with confidence! lolz. i wanna see everyones cars, and i need help so itll be a good chance for us all to see....mine ina bad state :D

Jemehan

To be honest, the niggles are coz its old....the french part just means itll fall apart too! The skill in driving a french car is driving it, reaching a destination with minimal amount of parts falling off!

As for whats wrong with mine, scroll up, i did write before, cant be botherd to type that all again, there is a fair bit of work. mainly engine thankfully.im looking forward to seeing everyones cars... as for your sarcasm, i really REALLY dont have a clue about anything on the rear beam, ive lowerd loads of cars (mainly VW) on springs...but never a torsion bar....

toffo24

I think that you will need a dummy shock to set the ride height, You can always measure from the centre of the wheel bearing cap to the bottom of the plastic trim as that’s another way to set the height. What you need to know is the measurement when the car is jacked up. Preferably on a car that has already been lowered!

Unfortunately I will be at the drivers met in Sussex on Sunday.

pugpete1108
I think that you will need a dummy shock to set the ride height, You can always measure from the centre of the wheel bearing cap to the bottom of the plastic trim as that’s another way to set the height. What you need to know is the measurement when the car is jacked up. Preferably on a car that has already been lowered!

Unfortunately I will be at the drivers met in Sussex on Sunday.

i have a dummy shock here i used on mine, simple to use as said but you need the measurments to set it to the correct height.

they should be on here somewhere as i used them to set mine up for a 30mm drop lovely.

Guest lion_lady_lu
I have no idea why you're asking lion_lady_lu, I think everyone'll agree that any 205 owner and their car will be more than welcome! Just keep an eye out on the 'Kent' threads, I think Pete will be creating a new thread nearer the time once location etc has been agreed. If you have any suggestions regarding location etc, feel free to post here! :D

By the way, I'm sure there'll be others interested in seeing 'Jenny.' What subtle changes do you have in mind?

Just some new boots (still not sure which, but something more aggressive!), a sunroof deflector (coz had one on my Jo, a past gti and my all-time favourite car) and just to blacken her grey bumpers/polish her chrome strips. Oh, and maybe some mud flaps - I know she's meant to be 'The Gentleman's 205' but I like blatting through country lanes!

monkee87
i have a dummy shock here i used on mine, simple to use as said but you need the measurments to set it to the correct height.

they should be on here somewhere as i used them to set mine up for a 30mm drop lovely.

I thought that between 305-310mm between the shock absorber mounts was an ideal height? I'm sure it differs from car to car and also what engine you have in. Also what tyres you are running, but still, isn't that like a standard?

Jemehan

TBH guys, looks like there will be 4 of us there...so im sure we cn work out what it needs between us lolz!

Update on my head... its not great, took it to my mechanic today, who tells me its BADLY pitted. so im taking it back tomorrow evening to see if his fella can skim it...else i could be looking at a new head :( lil concerned now, people may need to bring 3 axel stands sunday... have a floating car... :wub: lol.

monkee87
TBH guys, looks like there will be 4 of us there...so im sure we cn work out what it needs between us lolz!

Update on my head... its not great, took it to my mechanic today, who tells me its BADLY pitted. so im taking it back tomorrow evening to see if his fella can skim it...else i could be looking at a new head ;) lil concerned now, people may need to bring 3 axel stands sunday... have a floating car... :( lol.

I've got a couple of axle stands knocking around, if i remember them, i'll bring them. :wub:

pugpete1108

Update on my head... its not great, took it to my mechanic today, who tells me its BADLY pitted. so im taking it back tomorrow evening to see if his fella can skim it...else i could be looking at a new head :( lil concerned now, people may need to bring 3 axel stands sunday... have a floating car... :angry: lol.

I'll bring a set with me.

I have got a head here if you want it for nowt, it's in a friends garage and still attached to an engine mind

Jemehan
I'll bring a set with me.

I have got a head here if you want it for nowt, it's in a friends garage and still attached to an engine mind

Will it need skimming? That would make my life easier if you have another head... it is for a 1.9 isn't it?

james_pug

Right so what time on Sunday?

Pete what tools are you taking and what do you want me to bring? No point in loads of the same

Jemehan

i think people are thinking about 12 but the other half at work early so i will be around workin on it alot earlier than that. and as for tools, lots of the same would be funny, but pretty un-practical.

When could i get the engine? shall i take the whole lot?

james_pug
i think people are thinking about 12 but the other half at work early so i will be around workin on it alot earlier than that

I've gota drop mine off at work at 10 so I'll be about early aswell.

pugpete1108

ten oclock sounds good to me.

you can pick the engine up any afternoon this week as long as i can get hold of my mates mum who owns the garage.pm me you number and adress and we can sort something out.

its a 1.6 though?, not sure on the differences though?? i though they were the same heads just different stroke/bore size.

james, i was just gonna bung my tool box in the back of the motor along with various sized hammers and set of axle stands. a decent torx set might be good as i may have twisted the one we need

who's making the tea then if your old lady is at work??? if there's no tea i aint coming ;)

Edited by pugpete1108

Jemehan

I did do some research this afternoon (the answer was on the forum somewhere) its only the crankshaft in the block that is different so assuming the head is in good nick itll work sweet as a nut.

Guess ill have to be the tea bitch then! ill try rope a friend in that lives round the corner...my other half just wanted me to clarify too, she isnt old, afterall im only 20 myself.

I have a few tools around here but most are scatterd about in whats left under the bonnet. you will all see sunday. 10AM will be the time to meet here for all your earlier birds then the rest of you welcome to join as and when, quick warning though, parking isnt exactly plentiful so its park where you can find a space.

Pete, PM sent mate.

Looking forward to meeting all you ashford lot!

james_pug
who's making the tea then if your old lady is at work??? if there's no tea i aint coming ;)

forget the tea what about the bacon sarnies :lol:

I'll bring my slide hammer and some Torx bits

Jemehan

LOLZ- i will try get some bacon too before then....my front springs came today too :):D:D yay. Still waiting for a reply from a guy about this damn front arch trim! sooo slow!

pugpete1108

better do the front springs as well then whilst we are there.

i'll add spring clamps to the list

monkee87

Thanks for all the help lads. Really appreciate it! :D

Hopefully i can get that seized rear beam off my car soon.. I'd actually have some suspension travel then! Dans car has more than mine and it's nearly on the floor!! :lol:

I'm going to strip the old beam when it's off and see how bad it is.. That should be fun!! :P Might refurb it! :huh:

pugpete1108
Thanks for all the help lads. Really appreciate it! :D

Hopefully i can get that seized rear beam off my car soon.. I'd actually have some suspension travel then! Dans car has more than mine and it's nearly on the floor!! :lol:

I'm going to strip the old beam when it's off and see how bad it is.. That should be fun!! :D Might refurb it! :huh:

dont ask for any help with that down here :P if i ever see a rear beam again it will be too soon.