• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
denva2682

Anyone From Kent?

Jemehan
I'm near Eastbourne. I'd love to come to a meet, there definitely is a lack of them in the South East... I think your mates need to drive a 205 GTi, they are the bees knees! I love them! I've had 4 of them in my time!!! (I'm only 22!!) :rolleyes:

The guys who i let drive my baby loved it! lol. so yeah i think all need a turn.

Jemehan
little hempen if you know it? its only a few hundred yards from yours!

Yeah i know it! I will have to pop over sometime and look, is yours MI16? what do you know about torsion bars? as for youe comment about the wye downs, they would be a good spot to mee, a lil hill climb there too, however depends how many people come... here are only like 25 spaces or so. My car club fills it up no problem on a busy night...I think whatever venue we do we will need to choose a few spots and choose which one final depending on how many people say they are coming...I think itll be a big turn out...

james_pug

my dimma is a mi16 on carbs and ive got a cj that im putting a v6 in but its along way off yet, ive not done a torsion bar on a 205 beam yet but have done loads on 106s and saxos so could proberly do them, the car park im on about isnt wye downs its on the roads that goes from junction 11 to canterbury about 5 mins away from the junction and easy enough for everyone to find

pugpete1108
OOOOOOH! i have ALOT to do yet, she is on axel stands... engine head off as head gasket went, getting it simmed tuesday, have to fit new rad, new heater matrix. have to re seat all the valves as the stem seals have gone, burning oil etc...thats mechanical. ALSO need to raise the back end a lil (do you know how to do torsion bars as i baught it too low and need to raise a few inches). Have new lowering springs for front end i need to put on (40/50mm) need back to be the same height and also need to attain and fit a new front wheel arch on drivers side as old on fell off and got run over (died).

After that, just MOT and tax...then it SHOULD be ready to go back on the road.....

so, not too much work :S

what do you have to do on yours? lol

ive done a couple of beams now and have just rebuilt my one so i know what i'm doing. also got a tool here for setting ride height correctly.

let me know when you need/want to do it and i'll give you a hand, maybe james can help too?? more hands and all that :rolleyes:

james_pug
ive done a couple of beams now and have just rebuilt my one so i know what i'm doing. also got a tool here for setting ride height correctly.

let me know when you need/want to do it and i'll give you a hand, maybe james can help too?? more hands and all that :D

mini meet at Jemehan's to raise his rear axel it is then.

monkee87

let me know when you need/want to do it and i'll give you a hand, maybe james can help too?? more hands and all that :D

Are you in the south east?! I've been after someone who lives nearish to me that could possibly give me a hand. I've got a 309 GTi beam waiting to go on my 205, but i need to get the torsion bars out so i can set it to an appropriate height! I don't want a hotrod! :D

I may even ask if you could refurb it.. But that all depends basically.

monkee87
theres a car park along stone street at the top of the downs that has some very good veiws could be a good meeting point and a good chance for pictures heres one i took below, only off my iphone so pretty s*it quality

006cv.jpg

Ah man! This makes me want a dimma so much... Wish i had bought that one i saw a couple of years back. Was Topaz blue with original wheels. :D

pugpete1108

sounds like a plan. let me know when and ill see if im off work (work dodgy shifts)

Are you in the south east?! I've been after someone who lives nearish to me that could possibly give me a hand. I've got a 309 GTi beam waiting to go on my 205, but i need to get the torsion bars out so i can set it to an appropriate height! I don't want a hotrod! :D

I may even ask if you could refurb it.. But that all depends basically.

it shouldn't be a problem if the beam is off the car it makes it alot easier. would have to have a look before deciding if i would like to rebuild it as after i did mine i swore i wouldn't do it again :D twas a pain in the arse for sure, as everything was rusted/seized solid.

Pete

monkee87
The guys who i let drive my baby loved it! lol. so yeah i think all need a turn.

I wouldn't let anyone drive mine! It's got a seized rear beam and just generally worn suspension.. If it was all okay it'd handle so much better and then i might let someone try it out. :D As long as they were responsible of course!

Jemehan

Yeah, im looking at next weekend hopefully, as long as i have the engine back together ( cant raise the back up untill the front is on the floor for obvious reasons)

Ill put a post up and PM each of you the adress :D looking forward to it.

monkee87
sounds like a plan. let me know when and ill see if im off work (work dodgy shifts)

it shouldn't be a problem if the beam is off the car it makes it alot easier. would have to have a look before deciding if i would like to rebuild it as after i did mine i swore i wouldn't do it again :D twas a pain in the arse for sure, as everything was rusted/seized solid.

Pete

I've been taking it apart already. So far i've taken one shock off, undone one of the bolts on the other as one of them doesn't want to move. I think that's down to the fact i don't have the right tools. Undone the 2 bolts/nuts on one torsion bar, but can't get the washer out.. Anti roll bar is off, so i can get one trailing arm off, haven't tried yet. The other torsion bar star screw thing doesn't want to move and i haven't tried to undo the other end as it's really inaccessible. I took the caliper off one side and the dust plate thing (broke one of those stupid bolts :D ) and haven't tried the other side yet. Undone all the mountings to access the front mounts as i'm going to put solid mounts on. I started to strip it as i wanted to paint it! :D Love shiny new things.

I only got it for £40, was an ebay bargain as it was advertised really really badly. Hope it's all okay though.. Pretty sure it is, but i'm not 100% sure on how to check. Either way, i need the torsion bars out though.

pugpete1108
Yeah, im looking at next weekend hopefully, as long as i have the engine back together ( cant raise the back up untill the front is on the floor for obvious reasons)

Ill put a post up and PM each of you the adress :D looking forward to it.

can do sunday if ya like, i dont finish work until saturday.

I've been taking it apart already. So far i've taken one shock off, undone one of the bolts on the other as one of them doesn't want to move. I think that's down to the fact i don't have the right tools. Undone the 2 bolts/nuts on one torsion bar, but can't get the washer out.. Anti roll bar is off, so i can get one trailing arm off, haven't tried yet. The other torsion bar star screw thing doesn't want to move and i haven't tried to undo the other end as it's really inaccessible. I took the caliper off one side and the dust plate thing (broke one of those stupid bolts :D ) and haven't tried the other side yet. Undone all the mountings to access the front mounts as i'm going to put solid mounts on. I started to strip it as i wanted to paint it! :D Love shiny new things.

I only got it for £40, was an ebay bargain as it was advertised really really badly. Hope it's all okay though.. Pretty sure it is, but i'm not 100% sure on how to check. Either way, i need the torsion bars out though.

one shock bolt on mine wouldnt undo i had to cut it off in the end,getting the antiroll bar off is a good start. the real problem i had was getting the old trailing arms off, this is the result after using a sledge hammer. (note the arm came off the end of the shaft not the shaft came out of the tube)

IMG_0016.jpg

i take it you have a new set of bearing etc.?

and by shiney you mean like this :D excuse my son he loves having his photo taken the tart.

DSCF0229.jpg

pm me and we can sort out something

Pete

denva2682

All of these look pukka mate. :)

Jemehan
All of these look pukka mate. :)

HOW DO YOU DO THAT WITH THE MAP!? thats amazing, never knew you could! lol....they all look like perfect spots. Have an easy just-off m20 meeting point then drive down to the coast! :D Simples :D

damien

you need to have a google account. just takes 2 mins to do .

would weekends be better for people? what about location?

Jemehan
you need to have a google account. just takes 2 mins to do .

would weekends be better for people? what about location?

not sure... lol, i cant go till ATLEAST net month as my car is not looking too happy atm, still on axel stands... cant do anything to it till i have the head skimmed! :)

Jemehan
sunday daytime would be best for me, how about mid may? below should be link to where i think could be a good meeting point its about 5 mins max off junction 11

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...p=11,20.17,,0,5

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...5480ac66a07bc8e

Ill let you know when i get the engine back together, obviously cant do the rear suspension until i have got the engine back in... lol. sun day is likely though

pugpete1108

when we doing this beam then?? this sunday??

i wont have the 205 ready for a meet until august maybe july if i pull me finger out. could always come in the xsara though.

Jemehan
when we doing this beam then?? this sunday??

i wont have the 205 ready for a meet until august maybe july if i pull me finger out. could always come in the xsara though.

Lol, whats up with yours then? After-all if your helping me i will help you, only fair. And yeah probs sunday but i can only do it sunday if I have put the engine back together by then,as can jack the back up when the engine is on an axel stand alongwith the front end...I'm hopefully getting the head skimmed tuesday/weds but also need to sort the valves out too, the seals have gone....damn bluey smoke!

denva2682
OOOOOOH! i have ALOT to do yet, she is on axel stands... engine head off as head gasket went, getting it simmed tuesday, have to fit new rad, new heater matrix. have to re seat all the valves as the stem seals have gone, burning oil etc...thats mechanical. ALSO need to raise the back end a lil (do you know how to do torsion bars as i baught it too low and need to raise a few inches). Have new lowering springs for front end i need to put on (40/50mm) need back to be the same height and also need to attain and fit a new front wheel arch on drivers side as old on fell off and got run over (died).

After that, just MOT and tax...then it SHOULD be ready to go back on the road.....

so, not too much work :S

what do you have to do on yours? lol

You're gonna be busy then!? I'm in the same boat mate. Intention is just to get it aesthetically passable (trim/bodywork/interior/roof etc) for this summer and then start really going to town when the MoT runs out and it gets SORN'd again. I will most likely take a good look at the rear beam and attack that (like we all have to!) So for this year, I'm gonna just chuck new roof on, try and get the interior sorted (phase 1 dash glovebox section needs doing) and I'd like a set of half leathers. I have already stripped interior out and drained the swimming pool that was inside (previous owner left outside, uncovered for almost a year) <_< and now it's bone dry. I need to treat the tiny spots of rust on the floorpan and repaint then put interior all back in, so quite an easy task there. Mechanically, I shall be replacing the timing belt and waterpump and a bloody good service, replace broken induction hose and she should be good to go for this year, but like I said, I intend a full restoration over the next year or two, inc full respray etc. Oh joy!

Edited by denva2682

pugpete1108
Lol, whats up with yours then? After-all if your helping me i will help you, only fair. And yeah probs sunday but i can only do it sunday if I have put the engine back together by then,as can jack the back up when the engine is on an axel stand alongwith the front end...I'm hopefully getting the head skimmed tuesday/weds but also need to sort the valves out too, the seals have gone....damn bluey smoke!

we can put some stands under the back end even if the front end is still up no worries <_< i'll bring a set.

i got nothing major to do (already done the hard work) but could probabally do with hand removing and refitting the windscreen.

i got a load of bodywork to do including fitting some rallye arches.

the only mot work that needs doing is securing the battery and putting a jubilee clip on a driveshaft gaiter oh and drilling holes in the wings for the side repeaters and maybe a bulb or two. and adjusting the handbrake... jesus the list is growing :(

btw i have a complete engine here (1.6 tho) that you could have had the head off. was running fine in mine before i pulled it for the gti6

Edited by pugpete1108

Jemehan
we can put some stands under the back end even if the front end is still up no worries <_< i'll bring a set.

i got nothing major to do (already done the hard work) but could probabally do with hand removing and refitting the windscreen.

i got a load of bodywork to do including fitting some rallye arches.

the only mot work that needs doing is securing the battery and putting a jubilee clip on a driveshaft gaiter oh and drilling holes in the wings for the side repeaters and maybe a bulb or two. and adjusting the handbrake... jesus the list is growing :(

btw i have a complete engine here (1.6 tho) that you could have had the head off. was running fine in mine before i pulled it for the gti6

Its cool, i have already got all the parts to get the head done now, may as well just do that :D. its not a long job that... Could put it on axels all round but im no sure how secure it is to be honest... And you said about handbrake....think mine needs doing, pulled i up last week....think i may have snapped it but i have to look at it properly. These lists do grow on french cas pretty quickly... im sure you will find something i have missed on mine... fresh eyes always do!

Im sure all us local ashford guys can help you with your stuff though if you need a hand!