• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

Tom Fenton

I was hoping you weren't going to re fit those number plates. Sorry to say it, but for me they detract from how immaculate and standard the rest of the car is.

Also another bummer, my new rear lights arrived today from Carparts4less, one of them has a bust lens :(

cRaig

Mm bugger, that is a shame, still hopefully their customer service is alright, they seem fairly quick off the mark.

The numberplates are a bit Marmite I guess, but it isn't exactly alot of work to change them (I may well get pulled up on them and have to put it back to standard anyway) As the only external deviation from standard, its my little personal touch..

eddie bullit

I have to agree with Tom. I think they detract a little from the amazing job you've done to bring that up to spec. Would look great with some original dealer plates and tax disc.

Edd

cRaig

Unfortunately I have no idea who the original dealer was, if I do manage to discover it at some point I may well be tempted by some original style plates.

Miles

HR's if you don't know is around Swidon, so could be Oval in Westbury which my old one was from

cRaig

Mm, I knew it was Swindon way, but I havent researched any further, as I imagine it is very unlikely dealerships still have records etc, and I cant think of any other way of finding out.

Craig

Leet205

I was hoping you weren't going to re fit those number plates. Sorry to say it, but for me they detract from how immaculate and standard the rest of the car is.

Also another bummer, my new rear lights arrived today from Carparts4less, one of them has a bust lens :(

Get onto them Tom, they have a live chat on the website thats usualy pretty good, might just send out a replacement. I bought lots of fluids for the 205 and the anti freeze was bust on delevery and they sent another one out no questions asked free of charge.

Craig,

You should find the original dealer the car came from and get some dealer style ones made I think someone on here makes then Jonnygoodhand? would set it off. Its stunning :wub:

Edited by Leet205

cybernck

What make are your new tail lamps?

Also, you're missing a reverse lamp ;).

cRaig

They are Valeo units, just under 30 quid each, there is a link on the previous page.

Dont worry, it will get fitted at some point.. :P I dont like fiitting the valance lights, they never seem to clip in properly for me..

Wes

every time i look at this thread it costs me money, i ordered the coolant cap last time now i've ordered some new rear lights :lol:

cybernck

Ah yes, I missed that bit. But what got me confused is that the indicators are a bit too dim.

I mean, your old tail lamps were AXO, which *are* considerably different to Valeo (in my eyes anyway),

but still, indicators on old OE Valeo's I have are a lot brighter. Perhaps they brighten up with time or they've

changed the type of plastic they use OR it's just the combination of light and camera used for the photos.

Anyway, they look nice and shiney :).

Edit: Here's what your usual OE Valeo rear lamp looks like:

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt294/RETROBOY1986/205%20gti/09retrorides.jpg

• Like 1

dcc

Hi Craig, I haven't been able to find the new lead for the dizzy, I am sorry :(

Wes

my stant radiator cap doesn't fit, it leaks coolant all over the place. thought i would tell you before you run yours up, dont want that nice clean engine getting dirty.

cRaig

Mm, thats a shame. Is it properly tightened? Mine was quite awkward to fit for the first few times, but as you have run yours up to temp, I defer to your experience!

Craig

Wes

yea it fits on ok but its not quite deep enough to make a decent seal as far as i can see. i might try it again on the weekend to see if i can modify it in any way.

cRaig
On 2/5/2012 at 11:58 AM, dcc said:

Hi Craig, I haven't been able to find the new lead for the dizzy, I am sorry sad.gif

Thanks for looking anyway :)

On 2/6/2012 at 5:42 PM, wes205mi said:

yea it fits on ok but its not quite deep enough to make a decent seal as far as i can see. i might try it again on the weekend to see if i can modify it in any way.

Thats a shame. Let me know how you get on, would be nice to solve the problem and keep it.

Plodding on slowly. Firstly received the new front bumper spacers from Tom Fenton, fantastically made and do the job perfectly. Stainless as well, so a big improvement on the originals :)

45184129501_f5a910c24e_c.jpg

45184135371_867391ac09_c.jpg

45134907442_5478efffdf_c.jpg

Nice bright new headlights and driving lights are good.

(I know the driving lights are wonky :P, that will be sorted soon, just wanted to get them plugged in and working :))

Rear lights are so much brighter and crisper than the originals, plugged in the number plate lights, and fitted the rear mudflaps, still need tweaking to get them perfectly square etc.

45134911612_78bf138240_c.jpg

Edited by cRaig

cRaig
On 2/5/2012 at 5:44 AM, cybernck said:

Ah yes, I missed that bit. But what got me confused is that the indicators are a bit too dim.

I mean, your old tail lamps were AXO, which *are* considerably different to Valeo (in my eyes anyway),

but still, indicators on old OE Valeo's I have are a lot brighter. Perhaps they brighten up with time or they've

changed the type of plastic they use OR it's just the combination of light and camera used for the photos.

Anyway, they look nice and shiney smile.gif.

Edit: Here's what your usual OE Valeo rear lamp looks like:

http://i621.photobuc...9retrorides.jpg

Yeah, it is interesting that valeo have changed the colour of the plastic, the interior lense make up is the same, but the outiside indicator part is a much darker plastic. It doesnt bother me too much, perhaps some purists would be concerned. There must be a reason why they have changed it, perhaps more visibility of the light etc.

These are both Valeo lights, old and new next to each other if I recall:

45184199831_be2e2e5c43_c.jpg

The difference is quite stark I guess! Although without the old lights present, Im not as bothered.

Craig

Edited by cRaig

jackherer

They all looked like that when they were new.

cybernck

Yes, the one on the right looks like OE Valeo, while the one above it is AXO.

Between the two Valeos, it's like Phase 1 vs Phase 2 405 tail lamps.

Can't decide it I like them or not :unsure:.

Here's what Kristian's new tail lamps look like:

CIMG0337.thumb.jpg

CIMG0256.thumb.jpg

gsidave

fantastic build thread craig, hats of to you. i like reading threads like this as it shows which bits i need to re fit my front bumper properly.

would o.e dealer suply plates not look more in keeping ?

cRaig

Sadly progress has pretty much stalled again, as uni has well and truely stopped play. Have managed to get the odd job done here and there, firstly as discussed in the 'which exhaust' thread recently- welding up the split in the exhaust downpipe:

6904102931_63537bf181_z.jpg

(welded up at the local garage for beer money, which was nice)

Should hopefully prolong its life, and prevent the two thin pressings of metal splitting for a good while.

Secondly, contrary to some recomendations, I have started 'cold galv' painting the exhaust with ZG-90. I know the exhaust will still rust from the inside out, but the manufacturers welds were already beginning to look a little covered in surface rust, from just being in storage at Peugeot. Secondly it covers up a few of the dents and scratches it got in transit, and allows me to smarten up my pre-used exhaust backbox quickly and easily to the same standard as the center pipe, without the need to buy a new one unnecessarily. Plus I just cant help myself cleaning and painting everything before I fit it :P

6904104199_9ecc69a045_z.jpg

Edited by cRaig

eric_huising

Wonderful rebuild, with the greatest precision possible, just the way i like it :D

Just bought a Griffe (laser green) myself yesterday, but iam not sure i will keep it cause i got 2 more GTI's that are under construction.

But please carry on with this wonderful machine!

Miguelhbx

Pure Awesomeness.

Congrats on your effort to keep the car original :)

timmsy19

Wow just wow Craig!

Ive just read this thread from start to finish and i must say what in inspiration your build is!

When i saw the crash pictures i really hoped you'd do what you have done and what a good job with it too..its just stunning!

Edited by timmsy19

feb

img3007n.jpg

Do you know whether this cap will fit a phase 1.5 expansion tank and where did you buy it from?

Mine is letting air out (you can hear it with the engine warm)