• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davenport

[Project] The Rattlebox

Liquid_106
haha i thought if i`m gona make some bespoke mounts i might aswell make some beasts!!

....When the car has rusted away, all that'll be left are two solitary exhaust mounts :lol:

One of the builds I eagly anticipate each and every update! Originaly found your thread on Mig, can't remember how / when, so was happy to see it appear here.

One question, what is the range of movement with your new gear shift, is it quite a short throw?

Keep the updates coming! :P

davenport

lol there only 1.2mm steel... but do agree there fairly "butch" for a couple of zorst mounts.. lol i was going to be 100% homosexual and put flared holes in all 4 sides but then realised they`d just fill up with water and crud hahahahaha

yeah the linkage is qute short.. i will have to do another vid now the mounts are all solid and the pivot points are all finished... side to side theres probably 5" at the top of the stick.. and front to back probably 4" its not just the throw its in a MUCH nicer position now too...

thanks for the kind words...

Cameron

Put a small drain hole in the bottom? :lol:

davenport

nah i`ll keep them crud free and give them a hefty blast inside with weld thru zinc primer before i buzz them on them seal them up..

a job for sunday i think.... rebuild the drive shafts... then start saving for a very expensive 2011!!! the bird needs a new car.. wiring.. paint...

davenport

got the hangers shaped and tacked into place..

Photo1054.jpg

and with the work underneath done for now i decided to drop the ol girl onto her feet for the first time in nearly 3 years and get some pics..

Photo1055.jpg

Photo1057.jpg

Photo1058.jpg

Photo1056.jpg

Photo1060.jpg

GLPoomobile

Is there some sort of weird optical illusion going on there? B) It looks like the roof is wonky from one corner to the opposite corner :o

davenport

^^

either that or the shells twisted....

All Praise The GTI

who cares its going to be fecking awesome mate!!! :o

davenport

haha cheers bud... was gonna text you the other day and see how the emeralds going???

a mate of mine mocked up a photoshop the other day..

a pretty close idea of what it`ll end up like..

blue exterior/bay

white interior/cage

satin black tank/swirlpot/battery cage/gear linkage rods

68711_462212463672_500573672_5487975_6944179_n.jpg

major inspriration to keep pushing on!!

All Praise The GTI

well i went back to emerald and he did a few minor tweaks but im stil not happy esp. after ho much i paid him!!! but cant afford take it anywhere else now :)

but it seems to go alright so its not a major problem, i just know its capable of abit more.

that photoshop version looks awesome its going to be one hell of a motor when its done!! :(

allanallen

Wow, you lawn looks fantastic :(

Cameron
well i went back to emerald and he did a few minor tweaks but im stil not happy esp. after ho much i paid him!!! but cant afford take it anywhere else now ;)

but it seems to go alright so its not a major problem, i just know its capable of abit more.

that photoshop version looks awesome its going to be one hell of a motor when its done!! :lol:

Wow.. Deja vu! Dave did a horrendously half-arsed job on my car too, I think he just doesn't like 205's.

I took mine to Torque of the Devil in the end, they charged £200 and got it running much sweeter than Dave ever did! They might be a useful contact for you in the future. B)

davenport

mother has to take full credit for the garden... depsite her best efforts of ploughing the mower into the conifers...

sorry to hear the Walker service wasn`t as good as some have said..

davenport

hello there forum peeps!!!

been a while but SOOOoooo much has been going on and unfortunatly not much for the rattlebox!!

november saw the purchase of a new car for the missus:

4378464261_a5609063ed_b.jpg

Photo1106.jpg

Photo1090.jpg

it came with some LOVELY bits:

KWv2 coilovers

whiteline rear ARB

momo steering wheel

full s/stl yozza exhaust system

TD alloys

unfortunatly it only had 2 bucket seats! so more time and money to get a std leather and alcan interior back in, then some faffing around with niggly jobs saw more time go....

then during a boring ride home from work a nice guy in a van livened it up for me by knocking me over!

Photo1081.jpg

so with a broken scaphoid and a plaster cast i`ve been struggling... however!!

i made a piece to hold the tow strap

Photo1111.jpg

which, once i have 2 hands will be welded here:

Photo1112.jpg

and give me the lovely motorsport look at the front:

Photo1110.jpg

a freind of mine also donated the ends off a spare S1 dashboard as i was fed up with staring down the abyss either side of my car:

283-1.jpg

so with some very poor left handed sanding! :

Photo1122.jpg

Photo1121.jpg

i`ll probably fibreglass a lip on each small piece that sits under the main section then bolt through with a couple of tiny allen head bolts..

the hole i the dial bulge needs filling once the dash is taken out then its ready to flock....

doubt i`ll do anything more this year so have a happy Xmas and a great new year, and thank you for the kind comments and taking the time to read my ramblings......

Stu..

davenport

well i`m still tinkering...

today has seen a job done that i`ve been putting off for a while..

blanking bungs for the secondary butterfly spindle holes in the bodies..

2011-02-05140212.jpg

which get twatted in here...

2011-02-05140226.jpg

and the protruding end can then be ground back flush...

2011-02-05140514.jpg

theres 2 more sets of ally flanges being laser cut 1 will be welded onto the bodies (like i did to mount the jenvey trumpets) and the other set will go on the inlet manifold so they cn be bolted together rather than use silicone tube...

the satchshift gearstick has had a few tweeks on CAD and some big ass chunks of billet located still not 100% decided on the final design though...

billetgearstick_Model.jpg

also need to finalise a trigger wheel on the intermediate shaft and somehow mount a hall sensor to read wheel speed...

allye

'which get twatted in here' :( haha

Been missing the updates on this for a while, lovely workmanship as always.

EdCherry

Im also trying to figure out the wheel speed issue for my Dash2.

How many teeth do are you using?

davenport

probabaly 10 or 12...

i`m gonna make something that fits to the intermediate shaft and then weld a bracket or mounting tabs onto the actual ally bearing carrier to mount the hall sensor... its all neat and tdy and well away from the dirt and crud in the wheelarch regions then...

EdCherry

Sounds along the lines I was thinking, although I was going to mount it gearbox end above where the original wheel speed stuff was.

10-12 is a lot of teeth.

Going to use the race technology sensor I assume? would be interested to see your solution, could even be interested in buying a duplicate off you for myself, saves me a job!

davenport

i`m not 100% what sensor i`ll use... i know Matt @ TDF (who will be doing the looms and setup) uses a hall effect sensor with a thread along the length of its body which makes setup a bit easier... i`ll probably just use 1 of them as i also need an air temp sensor and he luckily needs some welding doing hahahaha

Cameron
The satchshift gearstick has had a few tweeks on CAD and some big ass chunks of billet located still not 100% decided on the final design though...

billetgearstick_Model.jpg

Is the hole half way up where the linkage attaches? If so, I would reverse your supporting webs so that the tips of the triangular sections are the other way around (i.e. the webs converge towards the hole, rather than the hole being in an unsupported flat section). That way you have a better load path from the lingage mount into the shaft. It's tricky to explain but hopefully that makes sense!

Batfink

I doubt it needs to be too strong!

Cameron

No, but there's no point making it weaker than it could be for the same weight.

Batfink

I know but I have a couple of BTCC sequential levers and none have as much bracing as that

davenport

the design has been changed quite a bit now.. for a few reasons...

* I now know what tooling Spanky has access too

* what limitations the tooling has

* what size actually feels nice in my hand

* considerations for clamping and holding the part during the stages

if Adrian Newey was to look at it he`d still probably find any number of design issues and a session with FEA software would probably indicate highly stressed areas..

HOWEVER!!

even a bit of 25x25x3 ally angle would probably be strong enough so looks are just as important as anything else.. its a total indulgance that in honesty is OTT and not fully needed.. but **** it.. i have the skills to design it and mates that have the skills to make it so why not hey????