• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davenport

[Project] The Rattlebox

Sandy

Most of the GSXR1000 ones are around 200cc.

Cameron

Oh cool, GTi6 ones are something like 260cc aren't they? There goes that plan! :)

davenport

honda s2000 injectors apparently fit as do hayabusa injectors, the aftermarket range for HUGE for them though as there are so many nutters out there turbo`ing there bikes...

straightline racing are close to me so will chat to them when the time gets nearer...

http://www.straightlineracing.co.uk/

Cameron

Cool, thanks! Would definitely make the install easier if I didn't have to put injector bosses and fuel rail mounts on my manifold!

davenport

my god my grammars poor this evening... that last post doesn`t even make sense to me FFS.....

davenport

2 new inner and 2 new outer gaiters ordered they`ll be here friday....

also made a start on the solid lower engine mount...

(ignore the rough edges + welded rose joint link... this is for mok up purposes only!!)

started off with 1 flat plate and 1 stepped plate..

Photo886.jpg

Photo887.jpg

unfortunatly the offset from the face that bolts onto the box to the centreline of the rose joint was wrong so i knocked up a mk2 edition...

Photo888.jpg

probably wont get down to the shop until the weekend to see if it fits but if alls good i can go ahead and make it in 4mm stainless instead of the ally i used for speed...

davenport

forgot to add... the bracket on the shell will also be beefed up due to the solid link to the gearbox...

luckily i managed to get details of how the MAXIs are done... i`ll use very similar linkage..

caissemaxi_05.jpg

Edited by davenport

davenport

solid mount YO:

Photo909.jpg

got these:

Photo898.jpg

got this:

Photo899.jpg

got a bucketfull of goodridge fittings waiting for me @ BGCmotorsport and a fuel swirl pot on its way..

a week booked off end of the month and i want it ready for wiring @TDF

davenport

with 90% of the bits to hand i decided it was time to find a place for it all......

after a few trials and a lot of... "no, that looks s*it... no, that`ll make wiring harder... no, theres not enough room" i think i`ve found it...

Photo911.jpg

to celebrate.. i made a cage for the battery:

Photo917.jpg

and just incase any lanky passengers manage to squeeze past all the door bars i`ll make a footrest out of this:

Photo912.jpg

i think this originally came off a mercedes actros HGV but can`t be sure... whatever its origin its now mine and FREE!!!

davenport

right then... after a drunk night out celebrating evostu`s 35th birthday the rallying @ marham didn`t happen so despite feeling rougher than a particulalrly rough thing i went down the workshop in an attempt to achieve something....

the swirl pot needed the base trimming down a little and 4 new holes putting in it.. then came the job of finding somewhere to mount it that A:looked right.. B: made pipe routing easy and neat and C: somewhere out of the way...

after a bit of head scratching.. a few paracetamol.. mother rustling up beans on toast.. and a few gallons of black coffee... i had it... in between the tank and cage.. unfortunatly despite ticking box A, B and C... i had overlooked the D option.... somewhere easy to fit the thing....

the area of floorpan curves and shapes all over the fricken place so i made a small plinth for it.. welded 4 nuts on the underside and shaped it to fit the floor.. and heres the result.. (just needs welding in place):

Photo918.jpg

i also finalised where the ECU will be mounted and made a little ally bracket to hold it in place... but forgot to take pics... my bad.. sorry..

miamichris

love this thread, some great fab work in it mate, keep at it! :)

Cameron

Nice work as always!

Just out of interest, what gauge / grade aluminium did you use to make your fuel tank?

davenport

ooooh now thats a techy question...

erm.. 6082 T6??? that rings a bell but will confirm tommorrow.. the shell is made from 3mm sheet.. i`ve seen a companies use thinner guage but the large flat surfaces can ripple after welding and look a bit s*it imo...

the top access plate is 4mm.. the nut ring to secure it and the gasket were from ATL (both cork and rubber are available depending on application).. dimensioned drawings are on there website..

davenport

couldn`t see any tags on the sheet but all the solid bar in the rack is 6082 T6 so for the ease of welding would assume its the same grade.... when the next delivery from aalco arrives i`ll see what the delivery ticket says....

as for deliverys.....

413.jpg

boom... shazam and abracadabra!!

Cameron

Cool, thanks for checking!

I'd love to make one of my own, especially now my alu TIGing is getting pretty decent, I just need an AC unit. I've fallen in love with the Lincoln Electric unit we had at uni, shame they're so bloody expensive!

davenport

never used a lincoln TIG plant but the MIG we had at the old place was fantastic...

at work we have:

kempii for little stuff (non water cooled torch) - clean weld but torch gets bloody hot after long runs

ESAB - not bad the the arc balance dial doesn`t seem to alter anything!!!

and my personal fave

miller (synchrowave) - an absolutly stunning bit of kit.. more dials than you could ever comprehend and produces the nicest welds imo...

a friend of mine has just bought a PARWELD ac/dc unit for home use.. 240v supply air cooled torch but i`ve yet to hear any reports of it...

the welder is just the start.. my gas rental is 100ish a year for the bottle and 65ish for a refil...

Cameron

It's an awesome bit of kit! I was using a Murex Transtig on placement and that was brilliant too. The Lincoln units are so much more compact though.

To be honest, I've yet to notice any difference by adjusting the balance on either machine. I just set it to 70% after reading the manual and left it.

And yeah gas is expensive! My midi bottle has cost me around £190 for the year, and I haven't filled it once!

davenport

who do you use??

i`m with airproducts.. BOC got too expensive for refils!!

just checked on the latest batch of sheet...

its actually 5251-H22

Cameron

I'm with Airproducts too! I was with Energas in the midlands and they were quite a bit cheaper!

davenport

ahhh what bottle do you use??

*geek welding tech ahead.. be warned*

what size bottle do you rent?? i have there half size high pressure ones?? they come with there own guage + tap on the bottle.. then you fit a quick release flow meter inline to the welder.. like an airline fitting.. different flow rated regulators are available in lots of levels..

anyhow... i know there are safety issues with having the fuel system in the car but....... i think noise my be the biggest issue..

Photo923.jpg

Cameron

Yup, that's the same one I use!

All those fittings must have cost a fortune! :)

davenport
All those fittings must have cost a fortune! :)

unfortunatly.. YES... with the pumps/swirlpot/lines/fittings/fuel rail/regulator but NOT including the tank i think theres about 1000 quid just on the fuel system...

thinking about this upsets me.. but it had to be done.. lol

Cameron

WOW! :)

Although it makes sense, if I were to make my internal lines out of braided hose it would have cost in excess of £400, and that was using the standard pump and regulator! I went with Krontec hardline instead as the hose is 1/4 the price, but even so it was over £150.

Looks bloody good though it has to be said, and more importantly you know it's going to be safe and reliable. When I'm over being a broke graduate it's definitely how I'll be doing mine.

welshpug

why did I manage to price everything up at under £200 then? or are you spending on shiny s*it for the sake of it :)