• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davenport

[Project] The Rattlebox

davenport

facet red top - 65

bosch 044 - 125

bosch bkt - 40

SBdev fuel rail - 130

reg+housing - 65

each fitting is about 25 quid and i think there was about 18 in total

plus the cost of the hose....

it very quickly adds up to a frightening amount

also with the hose IN the car the hose HAS to be teflon as the rubber push on stuff breathes the vapours and stinks the car out..

davenport

a good morning tbh...

platform for the swirlpot welded in place...

captive nuts for the pump welded in place..

all the pipes in car done...

Photo926.jpg

^^^^^ f***ing rude imo....

also mounted the bracket for the EC1:

Photo927.jpg

still needs some self adhesive foam lining it and the cable ties will be replaced with a rubber strap or meaty Oring..:

Photo928.jpg

davenport

managed to aquire some tube for the lower front X-member today...

first job was to make a couple of tabs for the rad to sit on... this chunk of box section was chopped up:

Photo929.jpg

and after a bit of sanding and drilling:

Photo932.jpg

the ends of the chassis legs had some random square holes in them which needed plugging up:

Photo933.jpg

after a few hours i had achieved the start of the removeable section:

Photo934.jpg

with the rad fitted i figured i might aswell see if the fan could be mounted off it too... out with some more box section:

Photo935.jpg

and the fruits of the days tinkering... SHAZZAM:

Photo936.jpg

davenport
Nice. :)

lol thankyou.. i had always wanted to do this but until my dad decided the cross member was a "suitable" jacking point had always put it off... lol

today!!

front springs fitted

horns fitted

bracket fitted up to attach the relay holder..(made with provision for another holder should it be needed)

Photo937.jpg

then took a few overall shots...

Photo940.jpg

Photo938.jpg

Photo941.jpg

davenport

right. the battery is fully fitted now!! rather than drill holes in the floorpan i welded 4 studs to the floor and fixed it that way...

finally the last of my goodridge turned up so the plumbing is sooooooo close to being done now.. (just need the fuel rail/reg housing and reg) outts the bulkhead into bay:

Photo944.jpg

had a quick look at the catch tank..

Photo943.jpg

in an effort to keep the pipe level meant that the fitting ended up missing the tank:

Photo946.jpg

so a quick think and 5 mins on the lathe followed by 5 minuts cutting and filing i had this:

Photo948.jpg

which will all go together like this and be fully welded:

Photo947.jpg

davenport

fuel level sender:

Photo949.jpg

more stainless bolts.. push button to scroll through the dash screens.. holesaw for the sender..

Photo952.jpg

also got another similar pushbutton as spare.. i think it might be useable for the launch control will have to ask matt....

davenport

a short stint at the workshop today..

push button mounted (this will scroll through the various different screens on the digi dash)

Photo955.jpg

also got the level sended fitted into the tank top plate and started nailing the pipes down in the car..

Photo953.jpg

allanallen

lovely mate

davenport

cheers... these last few months have really seen it become a car again rather than a pile of bits.. real chuffed with things atm....

got the fitting welded on today:

Photo962.jpg

not 100% sure what grade ally goodridge use for there weld on fittings but it didn`t like being welded as much as the other bits... very odd.. either wy its on...

all thats left is to allow the tank to "breathe" to atmoshere (i have a cunning plan for this that i saw on a turbo`d civic a while back!) and get the braided line made....

Edited by davenport

welshpug

how long since anyone reminded you that you've got to take it all apart again to paint it properly? :D

davenport

taking it apart is the easy bit!!!

besides.. its gotta go back on the spit to have some extra welding done underneath... and a few other mods i`ve decided to do after speaking to some french maxi building amigos...

well... i say speaking... it was more emailing pics back and forth with random "google translations" written beside each... hahaha

davenport

right then..

the mission was to find a way of allowing the catch tank to breath any pressure passed through from the top end..

i think the MOCAL tanks have a posh cap that allows fumes to vent out... - not an option

my old rocker cover had a tiny breather filter - not an option

just drill a few tiny holes - not an option...

no.. what was needed was something trick and time consuming!!

so...

first up i machined a ring with a recess in the base and 3 holes around the edge:

Photo974.jpg

these 3 holes were then marked onto the tank and drilled out to accept a threaded insert.. a big hole in the centre of these was also cut:

Photo976.jpg

finally a piece of foam was cut to sit in the recess of the top ring and then once bolted up will allow the fumes to vent!:

Photo975.jpg

All Praise The GTI

Very nice mate. fancy making me one?? :lol:

davenport
Very nice mate. fancy making me one?? :lol:

what sort of thing were you after?? something shaped to fit tight somewhere?? i`ll be perfectly honest if your just after a simple tank EBAY if the place to look mass production means they can sell a LOT cheaper than i can make 1 similar for.. but if your after something "bespoke" i`ll see what i can do..

Very nice indeed! :(

cheers.. like most of the ally bits on the car it`ll all end up satin/matt black so should look nice and subtle then...

davenport

right.. despite not getting to bed until 5 this morning and ending up with a house full of drunk people after a wedding.. i was determind to do something.. so after a couple of hours of BTCC i went o get busy...

first job was to finish sorting all my poxy nuts and bolts out as having them all in a massive tub was causing a headache.. notice the "box-of-inspiration" already opened!!:

Photo982.jpg

then i had to do something about the slam panel.. unfortunatly it would appear that during is design 1 bloke did the left hand side and someone else did the right hand side as they sure as hell werent the same!!!

Photo978.jpg

Photo977.jpg

so i found my old spare panel and jig`d it up so it didn`t collapse when i started cutting it:

Photo979.jpg

once the centre was cut out i built both bits above the headlights up so they are level and matching:

Photo980.jpg

for the middle piece i`m planning something like this:

Photo981.jpg

and will continue the flared holes right across above the headlights... quite happy with it so far!!

All Praise The GTI

think a cheap ebay jobby will suit my needs lol.

ooo.... do you have tools for flared holes? i need a couple of small strips with holes in for my cage to weld it to the side of window bit if you get me? il send yoiu some beer tokens if you could knock a few up for me? :o

davenport
think a cheap ebay jobby will suit my needs lol.

ooo.... do you have tools for flared holes? i need a couple of small strips with holes in for my cage to weld it to the side of window bit if you get me? il send yoiu some beer tokens if you could knock a few up for me? :o

yeah no worries.. i`ve made a few sets for people now.. i have tools for 16mm 25mm 30mm and 48mm holes... (the actual flared section is about 10mm bigger)

if you can get some card templates made up i`ll bosh them out at work.. and either post them or you can collect..

All Praise The GTI

awesome thanks mate il measure and try figure out what i need :o

davenport

been a few more jobs done this week some car related... some... not so much....

firstly NON car related...

despite starting these poxy things over 5 years ago!! (i`m so f@cking slack hahahaha)

Photo-0175.jpg

finally got them done... all TIG`d up.. MIG`d on the inside and reinforcing bars inside also...

got bored this aftrenoon and made another tiny tiny set for all those idiots (you know who you are mofo`s!! marshall.... phil..... whos cars are too low to get on the 2post lift at the social club!)

ERM....

oh yeah... after great reviews on the gadget show i bought a set of sennheiser cx300 ii precision earphones for my phone to ease the bike rides into work.. GREAT BASS for the price.... lol

car shizzle...

my 205 rear washer bottle arrived from EBAYlandshire so that can be fitted:

B04etzw2kKGrHqVjkEpMiDg3sBMcTHrzLyw_12.jpg

after checking for leaks all day it seemed good to go... so i got bored.. hooked up an 18v drill battery and with the assistance of "odd-job-Al" creating a distraction.. soaked the receptionist at work!! happy days!!

• Like 1

davenport

big ramps and the "mini-me`s" all finished and done...

Photo987.jpg

got the steel in place and tacked up for the slam panel ready to attack with the Miggy-Miggy:

Photo984.jpg

the jig did the job perfectly and it bolted back in place with zero bother:

Photo985.jpg

all back together again...:

Photo986.jpg

so so so chuffed with this... which is rare for the stuff i make!!!

and to make the day complete the Northern superstar Phil made an appearance with jaffa cakes and lager.. the sun was shining... its what weekends are all about tbh...

GLPoomobile

I hope this project never finishes! I really enjoy reading the updates :lol: Your attention to detail is inspirational, and your sense of humour makes the topic fun to read :lol:

No disrespect to anyone else, as we have some great project threads on here, but this one ranks up there with Shiny Racing's 205 for me.

davenport

lmao...

cheers buddy... a very big compliment imo as Espens (shiny) 205 was 1 of a few cars that made me undertake this to the level i have...

as for the sense of humour?? hahahahaha gotta keep you ladies and gents entertained with more than a few pics aint i!!

opticaltrigger

The only way there is really.Not much else needs to be said.

Supurb.

O.T.