• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davenport

[Project] The Rattlebox

davenport

after more filing/sanding/painting... im happier...

Photo724.jpg

tommorow - re-label the dash.. mount the facet lifter pump and get the fuel lines and brake lines to at least the bulkhead! also gotta mount the battery master switch, relay box and the airvent blanks...

Edited by davenport

davenport

Photo730.jpg

next job.. mount the facet pump..

first i needed a bracket.. luckily a rummage in the "useful" bucket found a suitable pressing:

Photo726.jpg

i chopped a bit out and capped the ends.. welded some cative nuts in and buzzed it onto the shell:

Photo727.jpg

facets require rubber mounts (something to do with vibrations..) so i found these doing very little on a scania at work and robbed them! works a treat!

Photo728.jpg

swung into BGC for some more shiny shizzle!.. unfortunatly i still need a 180degree fitting to go from the top of the pump to the tank though that should be here thurs/fri and i can get all the pipes as far as the bulkhead:

Photo729.jpg

davenport

managed to get the pipes thru the cabin finished and just need to drill a couple of holes thru the bulkhead..

Photo737.jpg

up under the dash:

Photo738.jpg

ride height????????

Photo739.jpg

welshpug

bump steer much? :(

davenport

thats what i was hoping to check while the springs are off... unfortunatly with the extra castor i put on the top mounts the steering arms just clip the body of the rack so the centre bracket in the middle of the bulkhead will need remaking to pull them into the engine bay a fraction..

also gonna fabricate my own steering arms with rosejoints rather than O/E ends so i can play about with heights and try to dial out the worst of teh bumpsteer...

welshpug

have a word with Colin Satchel/Eeyore, I've heard he has worked a lot on 106's recently and has more or less got rid of bumpsteer, he might be able to give a few pointers :(

davenport

from a quick word with sandy and reading some of the stuff colin has mentioned he does a few things.. but being a competition prep chap he`s reluctant to fully divulge everything which i can respect

bending or moving the arm down... also the angle of the wishbone comes into play too but once my tubular ones are finished i`ll have a small amount of adjusment there too.. the main issue at the minute is getting the arms to clear the rack.. once thats done i can bolt the faceplate onto the hub and break out the dial guage.. been a lot of years since i had to do the single seaters but i think i can remember what to do lmao...

davenport

Photo746.jpg

Photo747.jpg

Photo745.jpg

Photo748.jpg

also started making some new steering arms using rose joints rather than the std o/e outer items.. these will go UNDER the strut arms and should hopefully be adjustable to reduce bump steer....

davenport

new steering arms are done!! what a ballache...

Photo759.jpg

on the outboard end i`m using a 5/8th UNF joint with 1/2"bore and on the inboard end i`m retaining the std PUG joint...

the UNF thread was nice and easy and off the shelf inserts were available to suit the tube.. the pug joints however use a M14x1.5 LEFT HAND thread!!! after calling every machinist i know i ended up having to buy a tap (£25 from tracy tools - highly reccomended!) and making my own insert...

with a few spacers a high tensile 1/2" UNF bolt and a drilled out taper i was in buisness!!

Photo772.jpg

i found some suitable stainless straps at work and shortened them down to secure my tank..

Photo760.jpg

i made a list of "jobs2do" (very depressing!)

Photo770.jpg

so to cheer myself up i decided to find out how much camber my topmounts could give.... A LOT was the answer!

Photo771.jpg

davenport

also bought 2 new toys...

1 model XSI and 1 new rollcab.....

Photo731-1.jpg

BusEngineer

Is that the one thats just come on offer around the 2.5k mark

Seriously looking at that myself, always wanted a large roll cab rather than the rather large roll cab and top chest i currently have! Kinda like the worktop idea really

Just bought a rather expensive digital torque + angle wrench so may have to wait :wacko:

davenport
Is that the one thats just come on offer around the 2.5k mark

Seriously looking at that myself, always wanted a large roll cab rather than the rather large roll cab and top chest i currently have! Kinda like the worktop idea really

Just bought a rather expensive digital torque + angle wrench so may have to wait :wacko:

i beleive its the bottom half of the one thats on current offer...

its the KRA??? 40" one with wood top its only a baby compared to some.. a local lad bought it 6 months ago.. filled it... bought a MAHOOSIVE one and stuck this back on the van... i really wanted a lime green 1 but when this came up at the price it did i HAD to get it...

BusEngineer

The one id seen was something like 53inch!! BIG :wacko:

The lime greens are very tempting arent they, and the yellow . . . . . its like buying a lambo!! :ph34r:

Sandy

Neat handwriting Stu!

allye

You work for tyco? My old man used to supervise the moudling shop down in Bideford! Car looks amazing by the way, going to be an animal!

Ali

davenport

Sandy - lol thank you but page 3 was a lot worse as i started thinking "f**k me theres till shedloads to bleedin do"...

also... could i draw your attention to the last job on that page... *cough* satchshift *cough*

Allye - no my bird works for a components distributor and stationary occasionally ends up coming home

davenport

well aint done much recently but been plugging away at annoying stuff.....

boring shizzle first:

digital dash all mounted up

wheel speed sensor + buttons to control the dash ordered

next up.. the eternal issue of fitting tumpets to bike bodies...

silicone tube or the satchell/brown internal beasts were the only real options... but being me i`m doing it differently!!!!!!

a friend of mine did this on his 205/s16/busa bodied car so i know it`ll work!!

some ally flanges are being laser cut that i`ll weld onto the bodies and tap to M6, these will give me the option to fit any 48mm jenvey trumpet (90, 112 or 120mm being my current choices)

to make sure everything is spaced perfectly and the flanges are parallel i also drew a jig up to bolt the flanges to and sit on the bodies during welding..

finally the stainless flange is to bolt onto the ends once welded so i can dremel them clean and get the 48mm bore bang on!!

and.. by the joys of "DWG to image convertor" i give you what i sent to the profilers!

convertedDWGpics.jpg

i may very well also do the same on the other end to so the bodies can be bolted had onto the inlet fannymold.....

oz.

'Flange' teehee :P

davenport

a bit of a s*itty day sunday!! during 1 of the many "sit in the car and make rev noises!" sessions i noticed that when strapped in the top of the dash was obscured by the top of the steering wheel!! a MAJOR oversight on my part.. partly due to me now using a smaller wheel and also dropping the colomn slightly from standard..

but!! despite being busy at work.. tea breaks + lunch = opportunity!!

Photo805.jpg

1 new blanking plate and bracket to hold the display unit..

Photo804.jpg

that bolts nicely onto the stalk mount on the colomn

Photo803.jpg

it needs a tweak clockwise but at least i can see the full display now!!!

fingers crossed a few coats of etch+primer at work tommorow and i can have them all satin black`d ready to fit at the weekend!!

davenport

the dash mount and infill are painted...

the laser cut shizzle arrived today so...

Photo807.jpg

steel jig had the ally flanges bolted up to it.. it was then layed onto the bodies and they were tiggy-tig`d onto the bodies..

Photo808.jpg

hey presto all cleaned up and the world of jenvey trumpets is all mine!!!

on a boring techy geek note... just gotta say the ally used in the gsxr castings was VERY nice to weld.. suprising clean compared to some of the s*ite i`ve tried in the past!!

also a BIG thankyou to Jason@polarsystems for the quick (and cheap) laser cutting....

Cameron

That looks like a very nice neat solution. How much did you get the laser cut parts for?

davenport

the 6mm mild steel jig + ally flanges + stainless flange (so i could clean all 4 bodies out to the same size) was £35 delivered...

in fairness the jig is mega mega mega overkill and i could probably have gotten away with 3mm as all it did was align the holes and keep things flat

Cameron

Haha nice overkill. What size are your bodies then? I need to get something like this made up to mount my bodies and trumpets to the air filter. I was going to get them done through uni but the wait is just too long, I ordered my manifold flanges about 2 months ago!

Do those guys do a special price for you, or would that apply to anyone?

davenport

the bodies are from a gsxr1000 K2..

they taper from 42-48mm and are on 80mm centres...

i usually get a good price as my work gets all its laser cutting done there (usually about £5000+ a month)..

you could email drawings over to:

jason @ polar systems (in kings lynn)

or

mill stainless (in wisbech)

and see what they say.. or email me the drawings and i can get a price for you???

none of your fancy 3d stuff though please!! i`m only rocking autocad lt2000! hahahaha

edit- my 1 piece manifold flange was £30 from memory thats 10mm ally

Edited by davenport

Batfink

Clever solution :)