• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davenport

[Project] The Rattlebox

davenport

Bought!!!!! How dare you!!!! Lol

yeah just chopped out on the bandsaw at work then a flap wheel in a drill to do the edge..

2011-08-01171512.jpg

Edited by davenport

Cameron

Psst.. get an angle grinder and flap disc, drills suck! :P

davenport

Ahhh but you cant grain the ally along its edge with a grinder

Cameron

Sure you can! Just use a flap-disc and be gentle. :D

Flap discs are my favourite things ever btw. :lol:

davenport

ok! more updates!!!

i did a quick sketch of a bell for the discs and set about a piece of 8mm ally at work.. i doubt it`ll be anywhere near right but its a start point:

1317148913779.jpg

after the hideous mess i got into with my inlet (massie lack of patience + massive heat = massive HUGE distortion!) i thought f*** all this arseing about, got on the blower to Mr Satchell and ordered up 1 of his finest.. tbh, he makes a great product, thats proven and is a good price so it was a no brainer!!:

1317148850630.jpg

the quality was obivious immediatly to MotorsportKitteh:

1317147644154.jpg

i also got some billets for the caliper carriers.. i know it was 6082-T6 ally but that meant nothing, so i consulted the in house metallurgist:

1317147579307.jpg

after a couple of sniffs and a quick pawing she confirmed its HE-30 spec which is the same as what Hi-Spec use for there bits so thats all good!!

Cameron

Did Motorsport Kitteh also take the executive decision to have weird photo effects? :P

davenport

Haha.. gotta love an app!!!

Got the disc mocked up...

1317229967200.jpg

As suspected.. Its fookin close...

1317229781241.jpg

Fitted the inlet and bodies...

1317230816316.jpg

Nuff inlet length Yo!...

1317230881616.jpg

Not much room under the bonnet...

2011-09-28182300.jpg

Should be ok though!!...

Thats all for now...

davenport

managed to nip over to BGC the other day and got the -4 and -3hoses made up..

1318336602460-orig.jpg

and all the mess under the dash

1318336559040-orig.jpg

davenport

Dan- yeah theres a few very handy places withing 15mins of my place.. and some very very very handy places within an hour.. as they say on that telly programe "location, location, location!"

decided to refocus some energies on the wishbones!!,

so after 45minutes of looking in boxes and thinking "i definatly put them in here"... i found the rear mounts that Spanky had lovingly machined for me:

Image0045.jpg

and promptly squeezed the bearings in:

2011-10-16120406.jpg

2011-10-16120443.jpg

i`d never noticed before but these wishbones had a flat on the end, so i did the obvious thing and put them in the vice and wrestled the f*** out of them,

the bloody pin unscrews!!!

2011-10-16120553.jpg

i never knew that, (some of you smart arses may well have done, but for me this was a pleasant suprise as it may well make building the jig easier...

i`ll be making replicas of the TRi wishbones:

wishbone3.jpg

i know a few people dont like the idea of using a RodEnd on the outboard end due to side loading forces on the threaded section, BUT! too many people do it for it to be uber dangerous!!

so all thats left now is to spec a material, T45 is currently top choice, but i`ll gonna have a word with a few "aquentences" and see what they recommend...

thats all for now....

Dj_mini

Why dont u use a uniball for the outer joint? Rose joints do fail on James rally car he bent two then started shearing the t45 tubes around the slugs then tubes them selfs started snapping or bending even with guseting I guess you could up the wall thickness but in the end he got hockleys to make some box type arms with uniballs there so much stronger but ended up lighter!

Cameron

Rod ends are bad for outer balljoints as you need to massively over-spec them in order for them to be durable. If you know the dimensions you need then you're much better off using a spherical bearing that presses in to a housing.

davenport

i appreciate you thoughts, obviously i`ll ignore them, but i do take them on board... hahahaha

i think a lot of the problems may well be due to extremely harsh driving conditions and possibly "cheap" rod ends causing the problems...

as you can see, even the genuine maxi`s ran them on the outboard end..

maxifronts.jpg

Cameron

Haha :lol:

I'm not saying they'll fail, they just end up being heavier 'cos you have to over-spec them to stop them bending. :P

davenport

aye... tbh i think i`ll run them for a bit then maybe sell them.. i do like this style:

PaulMoss2-Copy.jpg

but i`d need to make yet more rear mounts! (or actually spank would) to accept a rod end....

Cameron

That's the way to do it. :D

Not sure how the rear mount works on a 106, but wouldn't it be better to keep the style that you have then put a rod-end on the part near the BBJ to give you the adjustment, rather than have it inboard?

Edited by Cameron

welshpug

106 rear mount just has a pair of studs that go through the floor, so easy enough to make some plate steel or billet alloy thingys

davenport

Lmao!! "easy".... of course it is......

davenport

ok.. first things first.....

Cam.... get it over with.. laugh/mock/warn/post pictures....

finished? i didn`t think so.... in my defence: there good enough for the geniune MAXI`s lol:

maxifronts.jpg

i`m not running big power... or rallying... or running slicks... and how much stick can wishbones get being loaded onto and off trailers to shows???? hahaha

can i also say i feel a bit inferior about posting my CAD drawings as to be honest there rather poxy compared to Cams 3d pimp-daddy efforts.....

however!!.. WISHBONES!!!

TRI`s:

wishbone3.jpg

lets infringe some copyrights folks!!!!

as you know i`ve already nailed the rear mounts with spherical bearings (well i drew them... Spank did the buisness!!)

so after a lovely donation of an old wishbone from Ed i set about taking some measurements and drawing up the definate points in CAD (hub position/rear mount position/front pivot point) from these points i can set out fixing holes on the jig (10mm plate) to have that laser cut:

2011-10-25182044.jpg

once that was done i can get all the angles/lengths of intersections of the tubes (i`ve develeped each 1 of these and made paper "wraps" to put round the tube to aid profiling):

2011-10-25182058.jpg

and the last bit was to draw up a stub that`ll be machined in EN3 to fit into the rear mounts:

2011-10-25182119.jpg

and thats as far as i am at the minute.... the drawing for the jig has been emailed to a good friend of mine who runs the laser cutter at a previous employer and he`s gonna chop it out for me for FREE!! bless him....

Cameron

I'm not gonna laugh or mock, it looks good! :P

Good idea with the printed tube roll-outs, we did that for out FS car and it worked a treat. Look forward to seeing some fabrication. :D

davenport

i was gonna make a jig up for my lathe at home and holesaw the mitres but the angles are all so shallow i think it`d cause issues with the tube bottoming out in the holsaw before it gets cut etc etc

haha thanks for the kind words... i keep saying i`d like to get into solidworks/catia 3d stuff but tbh for the stuff i make at work its total overkill...

Cameron

Yeah I wouldn't bother with that, I prefer to use a thin cutting disc then finish them off with a flap-disc. I love angle grinders! :lol:

davenport

hahahahaha all that fancy-schmancy CAD stuff and at the end of the day.... give the man a grindr and he`s happy!!!

yeah i`ll probably do the same thin disc then file/flap disc/rotary bobbin.... need to get some tube sorted now aswell

Cameron

Yeah I could play with grinders all day long. :lol: CAD stuff is just cos I only want to buy things once so need to make 100% sure they'll fit first time. :D

What tube are you going to be using, and where will you get it from?

Edited by Cameron

davenport

my local steel stockholder can supply me 6meters of 1 1/4 12swg CDS tube for £50.... as for the EN3 solid bar.. either Spanky or my local machinist will have some bits for what i need.. probably only a tenner for 400mm...

davenport

hello hello... !!

i hope you all had a fantastic xmas and new year?????

it has been a while since i updated this but a few things have been updated!!

the bias pedal box has been plumbed and fitted:

1318336602460-orig.jpg

1318336559040-orig.jpg

a few freinds and I arranged a rolling road day and i took along my girlfriends clio:

2011-10-29115206.jpg

which ended up making some nice numbers:

2011-10-30101100.jpg

with the car going away soon to be wired i had to finish the fuel system so i got a new fuel rail + regulator + housing from a UK company : SBD

20120104_173343.jpg

which fitted superbly:

20120105_185124.jpg

finally with the car going away i had to move it... this was quite special as it has sat in the same spot for 3 years now.. but at last!! i can see the concrete again!!

20111230_112051.jpg