• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davenport

[Project] The Rattlebox

davenport

arse!!

was supposed to be an update... mega forum fail for me... gimme 5 mins...

Edited by davenport

davenport

some mods.. some re-work (nowt like spending ages on stuff only to find its not right!!!)

heater matrix bypass pipe...

so.. until the stat opens the water needs a way to get around the engine so rather than the push on rubber hose i went a bit OTT...

the stat housing was modified to accept a Goodridge fitting and the 45Degree fitting then goes onto a fitting i`ve welded onto the waterpipe i made for the back of the engine:

2011-07-21171417.jpg

and the waterpipe:

Photo818.jpg

and the rocker cover i modified the breather on, when theres a fitting on the cover and the catchtank i made the length of the pip is very short.. now.. he engine shouldn`t move too much due to the rose jointed bottom link and the GrpA mounts but it looked like a recipe for something breaking.. so its moved from the Cam end:

Photo986.jpg

to the gearbox end:

2011-07-21171440.jpg

should allow an amount of flex for engine movement and virbrations...

i`m also ditching the entire peugeot brake system as... well... i want to.... after looking at a few pedal boxes (and scaring myself at the pirice) i spoke to Sandy about a few things and started to hatch the plan...

2011-07-24123332.jpg

"the man from DelMonte.... he say YES!!"

so off with the rack.. off with the pedal assembly:

2011-07-24130020.jpg

as you can (just about) see.. the clutch pedal (closest) pivots and the upper portion of the pedal pulls the clutch cable... the brake pedal pivots at the top and pushes a actuator through the bulkhead which in turn operates the cross link...

now... if the assembly could be modified so the clutch AND brake pedal shared a common pivot point and instead of using a "pull" motion like the clutch does the brake pedal "pushes" towards the back of the clocks area,, we may, in fact, have a winner!!

so thats what i did!!:

IMG_0106.jpg

still need to fabricate a support for the pivot bolt as you can see but the idea seems to work...

ive also measured from the new pivot to the pedal pad and positioned the pushrod so it operates with a 6:1 pedal ratio...

a quick trial fit:

IMG_0104.jpg

as you can see the steering knuckle is close to the pivot bolt but i can mod a few things and have a safe clearance easy enough....

2011-07-27175405.jpg

as you can see the pivot point for the brake pedal has moved and a 3mm thick pickup made for the clutch and brake pedals to share.. a new 3mm outer plate has been made that not only supports the clutch pivot but also supports the master cylinders.. a piece now needs to be made to:

*support the brake pedal pivot

*clear the steering knuckle

*clear the throttle cable

*support the backplate that holds the master cylinders...

hmmm could be a tricky bastard!!!!

2011-07-27175355.jpg

the big side plate needs a window cutting in to allow clearance for the bias bar...

hmmmm work in progress!!!!

davenport

2011-07-28170716.jpg

looks a big "big" imo....

i think with some shorter pushrods on the cylinders i can shrink the actual assembly down a bit more....

also it`ll be made in 1 piece once finalised rather than the back section welded on..

davenport

ok... update... and its a good `un..

attempted to try the box and 1 thing became apparent... it needed to go on a diet.. big time!!

so a lot of thin disc action, trimming and a revised mock up it was judgement time.....

2011-07-31161527.jpg

2011-07-31161557.jpg

2011-07-31161701.jpg

theres even clearance (just) for the std throttle cable grommet to pass...

needs a bit more clearance at the top but i can now make the final part in 1 piece and start working out master cylinder sizes once i finalise the front calipers....

Cameron

That's a very very nice solution to the pedal box! I think I may well be copying that for my 205, would be lovely to free up some space around the back of the engine! :D

davenport

lol.. yeah space in the 106 is tight so i was either floor mount (i aint got legroom to spare) or this..

fingers crossed it works!! lol

davenport

ok.. so the rattlebox has taken a back seat for a while (work/money/family) all issues far too boring to trouble you lot with so i`ll cut to the intersting shizzle....

the pedalbox has been put on a bit of a diet and also tweaked so the master cylinders sit a little closer to the colomn:

2011-08-30191328.jpg

2011-08-30191353.jpg

the pedal ratio has also been upped from 6:1 to 6.2:1, not a major increase but from reading the info on stop-techs PDF i decided i might aswell follow there info now rather than later!!

also, after being outbid on NUMEROUS occasions on some AP 2 pots (if your 1 of those last minute bidders let it be known.. i despise your tactics, you make me sick!! lol) i fired a few emails off and got lucky..

some BRAND new AP`s based on the c5111 casting that lotus used.. however the exact code was a bit different:

2011-09-01210419.jpg

so i phoned AP direct and after getting transfered more times than half the premiership combined, AND nearly requesting a snotty receptionist inserts the phone up her arse i got someone that was A- helpful and B- intellectual!!

it seems these calipers are VERY similar to the lotus/vx220 items but are intended for a 300x26mm disc...

Compomotive are always banging on about brake clearance so lets see if we can get them under some 15`s.......

2011-09-01203550.jpg

1314907536854.jpg

they were a liitle over what i`d planned to spend but at £140 and only 45 minutes up the road AND being new and unused i bit the bullet and got them....

cybernck

Nice one! I was just thinking of doing the same, for my twin hydraulic clutch setup though.

Cameron

Good choice, I have these callipers on my 205 with 280mm discs, no shortage of stopping power. :D

What size discs are you going to use with them?

davenport

well ive just found some 25mm thick chip board in the workshop so i`ll hack out a 300mm, 290mm and 285mm disc and see how clearance looks... the guy at AP did say 300mm was the size for these calipers though...

i measured inside my rims YEARS ago and 350mm rings a bell.. cant be sure though...

GLPoomobile

Is Motorsport Kitteh available to hire? I think he/she may help my motivation considerably :)

2011-08-30191328.jpg

davenport

i`m affraid Motorsport-Kitteh, is much like Adrian Newey, tied in to a very comprehensive contract to myself...

however,

chapter 12, sub-section B1, clause 2a stipulates:

"if at any point during the development period the supply of- Sheba `cuisine collection` should be missed for any period greater than 48hours then a new project and owner will be sought by the party known as- motorsport kitteh.."

so.. there is a chance she will be available for other projects but at present is loyal to me..... hahahahahahaha

Edited by davenport

davenport

quick update....

pedalbox is fully TIG`d up and fitted (still need cylinders though!)

found some inch thick chipboard so started mocking up the brakes..

AP told me the calipers require a 300mm disc so i started with that...

2011-09-11121756.jpg

LOADS of room!! job done lol... once i have some discs i`ll do some measuring and Spanky can get busy with the CNC shizzle...

Cameron

What rotors are you going to use? AP make some really nice light ones - 3.4kg at 300mm but they're about £300 each! :o

davenport

yeah the AP and ALCON rotors are frighteningly expensive!!!! a freind of mine showed me the alcon ones with the curved vanes.. very pretty!!

performance friction do some also..

i`ll get some prices from Matt@ track-group over in Kimbolton and take it from there..

luckily Spanky (the CNC guru) needed some welding doing on his Mk2 golf the other week so the mounts and bells should be free lol

Cameron

Ooooo let me know what rotors you get and how much they were, I need to get hold of some soon. Also, would your mate be able to machine some bells for me? :D I need to get some made up for mine in a couple of months' time and would like to look for people other than BG Developments to do it as they charge a small fortune!

davenport

do you have a CAD drawing of what you need?? or at least some dimensions/offsets??? i can ask him next time i see him....

Cameron

Not yet, still very much in the design stage! I'm trying to use the same ones front & rear though so hopefully will just be one design, I'll put drawings together once it's sorted, just want to explore options. :)

I'll have a whole load of top-hats and bearing housings that will need machining too! :D

Edited by Cameron

davenport

hahaha much like myself, Spanky is selective over what out of hours work he takes on.. if its interesting or cool chances are he`ll express more than a grunt.. top hats/housings.. maybe not hahaha

not sure what sizes your planning on using but ive seen ready made housings/tophats for custom wishbones on both McGills website and also Randall motorsports site.. the latter is just up the road from me and there are pretty helpful bunch..

Cameron

Top-hats are interesting and cool.. honest! :D

Fair enough though, if I can get some of the boring parts off the shelf then that would be preferable / cheaper anyway I'd imagine. I'll PM you for contact details about bells nearer the time rather than hijack your thread, hopefully they'll be interesting enough for him. :lol:

davenport

Cam- Spanky is currently touring France for 2 weeks.. that said he is in a VERY cheap mk2 golf so he may be back sooner.. or for the same reason he may well be a LOT longer.. i`ll speak to him when he gets back though...

spent a few hours on it today and after a first fitment disaster (pedal was WAY too high) i broke out the disc cutter, reworked the pedal and relocated the top bush that the sliding bar sits in..

after a LOT of swearing about doorbars/satchshift/various other stuff in the way... i had this:

[video=youtube;OyTWcdXyzaA]

also got the bulkhead fittings fitted up for the reservoir-to-master cylinder lines but need to swap a couple of straight connectors for 90degree ones

2011-09-22143436.jpg

davenport
1316786568809.jpg

Cameron

Love the attention to detail on that reservoir bracket, was that hand cut / shaped?

Edited by Cameron

Iain-gti

Thats a bought one or if not looks exactly the same.