• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davenport

[Project] The Rattlebox

qwerty

now thats the workshop i need! :lol:

really enjoying following this project :D

davenport

yeah the "social club" REALLY makes life easier...

as for updates....

well, a LOT of biking on a poxy BMX saw 14miles clocked up, a saw crotch, and some fuel lines... so thats ok..

20120109_180028.jpg

20120109_180048.jpg

at the sight of this i felt a little aroused so took some pics of the ol girl!!

knob shot!

20120112_195518.jpg

cockpit!

20120112_195443.jpg

throne!

20120112_195334.jpg

with all the pipework done, it was time.......

20120114_100030.jpg

loaded up we hit the A1 and the A14 and ended up @ Matts...

20120114_111452.jpg

i`ll be heading over there later this week for a final spec but basic outlines are

Raychem

launch control

pit lane speed limiter

closed loop lambda

"deutsch" mil spec connectors here-n-there...

davenport

Took a late trip to TDF thursday evening.. armed with jaffa cakes and some redbull (gotta look after the people working on your car folks!!!).. Matt was busy finishing off a couple of customers cars, 1 of which is a bit special:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?619576-James-BigAsh-182-Race-Car-by-TDF...-It-doesn-t-get-much-better-than-this!-*Pic-Heavy

i`m proud to say i`ve done a bit of welding on this, not much, but a bit...

anyhow, inbetween pushing cars around in and out of the dyno, eating pizza, and drinking redbull... we had a chat about my car..

a few things i`ve done wrong but nothing a quick bit of rework cant solve.. basically i`ve massively underestimated the amount of circuits in the loom and therefore the amount of relays...

but.. he can get round it!!

engine bays gonna have the raychem treatment, and some autosport connectors..

the injectors and TPS will all be routed through a connector so when maintenance in needed i can just pop the fuel lines off, whip the cable out and disconnect the lot neatly..

the coiplpack will also be fitted with a autosport connector..

the break out for the fuel pumps/fuel level sender will go through 1... so all that can be dropped out easily..

all wires tagged up neatly...

launch control.. pit lane speed limiter.. and closed loop lambda control will be fitted...

he also mentioned re-casing my ecu into the latest spec casing... (love service like that! remember what i was saying about looking after the people working on your car?? THIS is why!!)

i`d LOVE to go crazy and fit a pukka PCM but simply cant afford it at the minute....

thats about it for now... but i`ll leave you with a pic of what to expect!!!

BOOOOooooooom!!

gcu_deutsch2.jpg

motorsport PIMP spec!!!!!! hahahahaha love it!

oli-pug

This is looking schweeet! Too much money.

davenport

hahaha not sure about the "too much money" comment...

after the mortgage/bird/living theres not much left to put into this but i work hard and from what i`ve been told i`m pretty good at it so my wage aint too bad...

Cameron

Thanks for the Clio link, that's gonna provide me with a good few days of reading! :lol:

Coming along nicely by the sounds of it, any ideas when it's gonna be finished? Can't be too far off now!

davenport

haha yeah James clio is very nice... the cage has some clever touches, the main hoop is back a lot further than normal allowing the seat to go WAAAAAaaaay back (james is a big fella!!) so weight distribution is better.. and it ties in with the rear suspension mounts...

anyhow...

i`d guess Matt will be playing about with it for a month or so then once its back its strip down, back on the spit for the last bits of welding, then paint and reassemble... back to Matt for the final map tweaks and suspension setup and get using it!!!

if you get time have a look at a friend of mines ford build...

Jimbo`s saff:

http://passionford.com/forum/restorations-rebuilds-and-projects/367359-my-2wd-saff-cossie-project-2-1-12-a.html

enjoy!!!

allye

I've got a real soft spot for fast, retro fords. I even spend a bit of time on that forum looking through builds, also bought fast ford a couple times! Must be my dad, he had a couple Mk1/2's RS's and mexico's back in the day, one with a 2.1 :wub:

davenport

and so........... it begins...............

20120128_193215.jpg

davenport

another day, another purchase!!

i first saw 1 of these in the black clio that occasionally frequents TDF,

Photo600.jpg

and i think i spotted 1 in James clio recently built by the TDF crew...

94cba1a6.jpg

BOOM!!

20120131_190028.jpg

wide angle rear veiw mirror!!

i ordered just the mirror off Ebay (ram motorsport iirc) and got a phonecall monday morning....

"sorry mate, the longacre mirror is out of stock, however we have the Joes racing version WITH brackets... i`ll send that instead"....

so i now have some trick brackets which i dont think i can use as my roof bar sits hard against the shell.. i think some dremel action may create clearance if not, i`ll weld some tabs onto the shell and mount it off them, and use the trick little mirror brackets for something else...

20120131_185959.jpg

got a couple of cool ideas if they become spare but lets see how things pan out...........

davenport

Matt recently asked for a set of stands to raise his cornerweight pads up off the floor 300/400mm so he can use his 2 post lift to raise/lower the car onto them and work at a nicer height...

a bit like these:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/oncirrus/system/trans.png

but higher....

so i set about having a play on autocad, he`s just launched a re-vamped website so i thought it`d be nice to incorporate his logo/website in the same font.(he didn`t ask for this but f*** it, they were always gonna be laser cut so might aswell make them trick!!).. bit of a PITA transfering JPEG into DWG format but i got there in the end and fired this over to my local laser profilers:

cornerweights.jpg

3 days later and 30 minutes on the press i had the building blocks:

20120227_130331.jpg

fired up the tig and got them all tacked up:

20120227_185913.jpg

really pleased with the quality of the cutting:

20120227_185946.jpg

then came the bit i was dreading....

MIG`ing them up, i make no excuses i fecking hate MIG welding, its dirty, smelly, and i`m no good at it hahahaha

fortunatly luck was on my side and things went ok:

20120303_100218.jpg

a quick hunt on Ebay sourced some M10 feet and the stands were ready for delivery and powdercoat * :

20120303_100240.jpg

*- well, not quite finished, i had to holesaw a 35mm hole in the top flange of each stand for the power wire to pass through....

and thats about it, putting the feet inside the corners rather than outside would have been easier, and probably stronger but then they wouldn`t be stackable, and i know workshop space is precious so went this route instead..

should fund a few more trick bits on my loom.......

• Like 1

stu8v

Real nice work

Do you laser cut for cash? Can you do Ali?

davenport

i dont do it mate, theres a few companies i use, i tend to stick with laser for mild steel and stainless.. and get ali water cut...

the 3 main companies i use are:

mill stainless - wisbech

polar systems - kings lynn (jason is very helpful)

optima - kings lynn (toby or dom are good guys)

theres also a place called h2o profiling over in kimbolton, Thom is a sound guy but he seems to be a little more expensive than the regulars i use...

davenport

with the missus due to pop out out first sprog early november time my time/money/efforts have been concentrated on turning this:

20120603_152314.jpg

into this:

20120720_194011.jpg

and working my arse off to afford this!:

20120805_134225.jpg

anyhow, things seem to have gotten to a point now where other than a couple of items, its now a waiting game and the "boy" front.. so i set about rounding up all the bits needed to get the car driving once Matts done the looms..

so the list:

find paddle clutch + cover - EASY! in a box in the workshop....

clutch release bearing - EASY! went and bought a new LUK item...

clutch to flywheel bolts - ahhhhh things got tricky, pug no longer sell them so after a frantic search in every box i eventually found them!!

20120701_111040.jpg

what else....

ahhh yes the wierd L shaped bolts that hold the bearing in the intermediate carrier behind the block and the nuts for them...

these remain AWOL in the workshop so had to buy new ones, and being pug they had minimum quantities so i now have 4 bolts and a bag of 10 M7 nuts.....

but at least i have everything!!!!!

as for progress over at TDF, things have moved on a bit!!

20120804_121634.jpg

thats the "upper" engine loom but still needs labelling and the autosport connectors thrown on...

davenport

starting to forget what the ol girl looks like so took these pics the other day....

20121006_130815.jpg

20121006_130932.jpg

20121006_130742.jpg

as for updates, not much i`m affraid.. treated myself to some of Colins wishbones:

Wishbones.jpg

and a lower strut brace:

IMG-20120725-WA0001.jpg

hopefully they will appear soon and i can get the TRi outer balljoint pins modified to fit the spherical bearings.. (the TRi pins are 16mm and Colin uses a 5/8th (i think) outer ball joint) should be easy lust a little skim off the O/D 0.125mm to be exact lol

after a LONG wait from alcon regarding the discs i eventually told Matt to tell them to stick `em and hit the AP`s....

AP then sent some discs.. they looked great.. but a bit big.. a tape measure confirmed they were 330mm the thought of 17s on my car actually made a small piece of sick rise up.. so Matt phoned again and today the correct size arrived..

the prototype bell fits the disc spot on and the offsets seem to tally up with a standard disc so thats a good start.. net job is to mock up on my spare strut and get to work on the caliper mount..

AP sexyness-

20121009_213539.jpg

FIA (feline inspection association) Approval-

20121009_213648.jpg

BURTONpower seemed to be cheapest for the AP fixing bolts so there ordered..

the caliper mount has been drawn up and hopefully will be CNC`d into a couple of billets i have had kicking around...

• Like 1

Batfink

What sort of weight do those discs/bells come out at?

Cameron

The rotors are 5.4kg each according to AP's web catalogue.

Sorry, I read the part number off the box and couldn't resist! :lol:

• Like 1

davenport

hahaa detective Cam is on the case...

davenport

speaking of Cam....

taking inspiration from his caliper mounts.. and inspiration from another friends disc bells.. ive come up with these:

1.jpg

2-1.jpg

now, a warning!! i have no issue with people copying these parts, however i do not guarantee anything will fit or indeed line up where it should... who knows! i may even have altered a dimension or 2 just to piss off anyone who does copy these drawings!! hahahahaha

anyhow... these parts are currently being CNC`d so hopefully the front stoppers will be ticked off before xmas... maybe... depends on nappy changing duties...

much love

Stu

• Like 2

Cameron

Student version.. love it. :lol:

My version of Catia is still technically a student version, as is.. err.. pretty much every program I have actually!

davenport

Student version.. love it. :lol:

Hahahaha well i used to be......

davenport

courtesy of the machinist....

IMAG1693.jpg

IMAG1695.jpg

lets hope the buggers fit!!!!

welshpug

Do they fit then? :D

davenport

dunno... i aint got them

davenport

ok, so been doing a bit of running round today.. bit-n-bobs and hoping the clios suspension will shake the yob out of the missus... no luck on that score, but!!

i got my sweaty hands on the adapters so headed to the social club to see if my measuring worked out...

20121103_130644.jpg

first hurdle cleared in a "f*** yeah" style....

disc + mock up bell on and things were looking good..

20121103_133131.jpg

20121103_133200.jpg

as with 4 pots and these 2 pot calipers, the caliper isn`t on sliders so the disc has to sit bang on in the middle of the caliper........

20121103_133338.jpg

that`ll do for me!! its a bit tricky to get the camera angle to prove this but after poking a feeler guage in both sides, its all good!!!