• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

[project] Sarty Evo II - Phase 2 Of Project Sarty

Galifrey
As for dry grip, I run an open diff with 202BHP @ the wheels, if im not too violent I can put all 202 horses on the tarmac. Cornering is something else. I would love to try the A048's one day but when I put 60 odd quid per 888 in a 195/50/15, they are a consumable.

Maxi

I was running them on my 7, I could get the back end out in a nice controlled drift, I could do 3-4 circuits of a roundabout out in cyprus (closed road drift day) due to the car being nice and light, but they are a damn good tyre. I was told A048R's were better, but I just liked the Toyos and the way they felt, so didnt feel the need to change them. If I did a cross country road, they inspired confidence right up and beyond the limit. It's all very well running them when you have 356 days of sun per year, but I wouldn't have used them on the road here.

Had the T1R's on my 280bhp forester turbo on 17 inch Superlegerras, never had any issues with grip wet or dry, a good choice for road use I think.

willmounsey

Agree with the T1R's,

Have them on the festy van its comical how well it handles :)

Will

cRaig

How to T1Rs compare to Proxie4s?

Had a few issues with said tyre in the wet.. dont want it to happen again.. :)

(granted they had done 10,000miles, but had plenty of tread)

SurGie

That price for T1R's are very good as well as their effectiveness, bargain.

Has any one got an idea how long this offer will last ?

Arahan

I was going to buy them, then decided against them as my cars my daily drive and with the weather we get I didnt want to use the R888's! Ha!

Another vote for T1Rs though, have them on my car and although ive only had it a couple of weeks, they feel very good :P

bales
Another vote for T1Rs though, have them on my car and although ive only had it a couple of weeks, they feel very good :P

In the dry they are fine aren't they! in the wet its a bit of a different matter though!

Hows the car going? :D

DrSarty
:D

You're really not a happy chappy now are you Balesy, now you're 205-less?

I have 2 x 1.6s in fine fettle that'll soon be for sale if you can be tempted to come back and be happy again. :P

SurGie
In the dry they are fine aren't they! in the wet its a bit of a different matter though!

With a lot of members rating the T1R's highly for road use, how come you don't like them

when used in the wet ?

Rob Thomson
With a lot of members rating the T1R's highly for road use, how come you don't like them

when used in the wet ?

Tyre choice is a fairly subjective thing; people look for different things. I think T1Rs are pretty good in the wet, but they don't feel very reassuring. When you lean on them in th wetthey grip pretty well, but they don't instill as much confidence as some other tyres.

For ~£30 a corner I reckon they're good value; good grip and feel in the dry and capable if not such good feel in the wet. They don't last very long though.

Alastairh

I also have a set of T1R's on my 205. For £30 a corner, you really can't moan. They aren't the best things out there, but they cost more. But you could do alot worse.

Al

taylorspug
Tyre choice is a fairly subjective thing; people look for different things. I think T1Rs are pretty good in the wet, but they don't feel very reassuring. When you lean on them in th wetthey grip pretty well, but they don't instill as much confidence as some other tyres.

For ~£30 a corner I reckon they're good value; good grip and feel in the dry and capable if not such good feel in the wet. They don't last very long though.

And I will now prove your point about tyre choice being a subjective thing- my T1Rs are lasting ages! The rear ones look barely scrubbed and the fronts have got a fair bit of go in them considering they have done over a year of hard work with 2.5 degrees neggy! Funny how different setups and drivers can make tyres behave so different.

As for the wet issue, if you can get any lowered 205 to inspire confidence in the wet you are doing well tbh, so i dont think the tyres are the only issue there! The only way ive managed to get mine to turn in the wet is by disconnecting the front ARB. It actually felt nice to drive then.

Sandy

I don't like the feel (or lack of) T1Rs have on the limit, the grip limit is hard to gauge IMO. But you pay alot more for better tyres.

Bonzai

Eagle F1's were always there or thereabouts for cost when i was buying them?

Parada's better than the lot IMO :)

Sandy

Sorry, Eagle F1s are comparable I agree, but out of production now AFAIK.

DrSarty
Sorry, Eagle F1s are comparable I agree, but out of production now AFAIK.

Whilst they may be out of production, surely there are piles of them in warehouses and stock rooms all over the place?

I haven't bought the T1Rs yet, as Evo II can sit on the R888s for a while (it's not going anywhere), but I may be tempted to hunt down some Eagles instead.

Still, it can't be overlooked that prices like £28.65 for the Toyos are pretty amazing.

I think the Gaz's arrive this coming week Sandy. :)

And also, I wanted to ask you about (still) using the XU7JP4 (LFY) injectors. It will be easy to get them to fit the current manifold near the valves in the OE position, as I have an LFY fuel rail (2 in fact) and I suspect the spacing is identical.

What I'm unsure of is getting them to fit the bodies, as these Sagem injectors are pretty fat and some work may need to be done to create a wider bush/seat for them to push into. Naturally I then need a fuel rail for them, so was thinking of either mod'ing the second LFY rail or using it to make a custom jobby.

Below are some Lucas D3172MA injectors which look very much like the Sagems. To clarify (for anyone), the XU7JP4 (1.8 16v PSA engine - code LFY) had two management variants, one being a Sagem system (SL96) and the injectors that I have are black with a thin blue line and I'm sure say Sagem on them, although they could be a Lucas rebadge:

lucasd3172matbcsameassa.jpg

Here is one of my LFY rails:

lfyinjectorsonrailfromx.jpg

Your or anyone's advice would be appreciated, especially the reasoning behind your recommendation of the LFY injectors.

Thanks in advance and thanks for everyone's comments.

Edited by DrSarty

Miles

Just a quick pic for you of the block with the newly skimed deck

post-43-1256507025_thumb.jpg

DrSarty

Thanks Miles. B)

That's a lovely pic of the block that will be going in another car, so it's not for Evo II. This block will be making a 2.0L 11:1 high CR engine to go into the red shell which currently houses the 2.2.

The 2.2 lump will be transferred 'lock stock - the f*cking lot' into the new white shell (pictured in here), that Colin and his colleague are still modifying. It's currently getting new fuel and brake lines throughout and having the strut brace made and rad mounted. B)

Evo II will get a new loom, new Emerald ECU and new coils.

The old red car will just get this block on Colin/Sandy throttle bodies and be plug and play into the old loom, coils and cooling system; basically an engine swap.

It's looking nice. Thank you. Can't wait to rebuild the head on that one. :)

Hopefully see you on Tuesday 24th Miles. I'll PM and call in advance so I can visit your workshops and collect bits. And don't worry, the red car will be sporting Speedlines very shortly. The TSWs have found a new home, so they'll still be around for people to take the piss out of. B)

Edited by DrSarty

Sandy

Lucas/Sagem are the same. I've looked at it now and you'll need "Pico" injectors in the outer position.

GLPoomobile
The TSWs have found a new home, so they'll still be around for people to take the piss out of. ;)

Please tell me they are going to a PGAC member ;)

DrSarty

Thanks Sandy. I guess I need to seek your advice on Pico injector make, model, cost and the fuel rail required. Dunno if you can help in that regard?

Please tell me they are going to a PGAC member ;)

A member of PitCrew...on here! ;)

Edited by DrSarty

steve@cornwall
A member of PitCrew...on here! :unsure:

:blush: :blush: :blush:

They will be worn with (***) pride

Batfink

steve you muppet! :unsure::blush: :blush:

Sandy

Rich, you may need a different set altogether to get matching inners and outers. I can't think of any 180cc Picos. 106 GTI Picos are 227cc @ 3bar, so with circa 220cc inners, we'll be in business.

DrSarty

I spoke with Colin today and hopefully will be getting some pics to post later.

Basically the lowered rad mount has been made and a special bracket fabricated to mount the new 12" slimline 'pull' fan on the engine face of the new ally radiator. Colin says it all looks 'pretty trick'. ;)

The Gaz suspension components have turned up and the subframe has been pretty much finished to suit the 306 wishbones going onto the 406 hubs. Final mods will be made when the Xsara VTW PAS rack is mounted, as adjustments will be made to avoid/limit bump-steer.

The custom strut brace is also nearly finished to bolt to brackets on the strengthened front turret mounts. Rear turrets not in yet, as they need to make finishing touches dry-fitting the coil overs. :P

All rust has been taken care of so the shell should be solid for years to come. The engine bay hasn't been painted yet as old brackets need to be removed and new bracketry added, as well as new brake lines.

On brake lines, are there any ready-made kits (steel or copper) available?

The fuel tank's coming out to not only replace the fuel and brake lines (corroded to buggery) but to mount the 065 306 diesel battery in a vented box behind the passenger seat.

Should just be pictures later.

Lan

Sounds like its coming along very nicely, cant wait to see pictures

On brake lines, are there any ready-made kits (steel or copper) available?

I've never seen any kits available, as you have more than one car why not get a flaring tool and some copper pipe, defiantly copper imo do it once do it right :lol:

in fact id be very surprised if someone on here couldn't make you up a set, I certainly would if I had the tool.