• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

[project] Sarty Evo II - Phase 2 Of Project Sarty

kyepan

where are you going to put the speakers....

DrSarty

*This is all about car audio, so don't bother reading if you're not into that sort of thing.*

where are you going to put the speakers....

Fronts in standard mounts with tweeters hidden in the dash this time. May go up to 6 or 6.5" woofers in the doors too.

Rears in the rear inner quarter panel locations but solidly mounted. (Where the ash trays are).

Subs and amps in a low profile, removable and trimmed box that covers the boot floor and dips down and thickens up into the well where the rear bench seat base goes. Maybe 3" height over the boot floor increasing to 6-8" in the seat well (over the fuel pump and sender). There will be a sub each side of the mounting plate for the kiddie seat in the middle. Nico will have 10" subs either side of him.

The base of the bass box will have sound deadening material (Dynamat) attached rather than the boot floor, such that it is removed when the box is. With the box covering the boot floor (leaving access to the spare wheel cage bolt) it assists even more in blanking out exhaust noise. If I want that I just open the sunroof or window. It still won't be exactly quiet in there. :D

A may even speak to Colin about placing the battery box behind the passenger seat (with a lid and vent to atmosphere) to shorten the power cables dramatically (from having the battery in the boot). This will bring the mass more central and lower yet again, and off-set my weight without a passenger.

My head unit has digital time alignment, so I can manipulate the delay to each stereo channel to hide the locations of speakers and make the driver feel like he's smack bang in the middle for excellent stereo imaging and depth. The sound stage will be across the top of the dash and the delay to the rears (unevenly set) will make the car feel much bigger inside :lol: .

Thanks for asking such a simple question which has helped me fine tune my plans.

P.S. I didn't REALLY blame you for the Pulsar bodies thing you know Justin. They're for sale on eBay from tomorrow night though to try and recoup the £50 you made me spend on them. :P

Edited by DrSarty

taylorspug
All comments ref GTI6 brakes duly noted and I would say correct.

I would also add - at the usual risk of offending many - that car 'tuning' seems to have fashion trends. I'm not saying for one minute that better brakes is not better; but bigger is not necessarily better as in this case just like others it adds weight.

Hence why my disks are a 'mere' 264mm in diameter, small enough to fit under a 14 inch wheel in fact! Disks are lighter than a std 1.9 item. :lol:

Batfink
I'm having 406 brakes to go with the 406 hubs BTW.

All comments ref GTI6 brakes duly noted and I would say correct.

I would also add - at the usual risk of offending many - that car 'tuning' seems to have fashion trends. I'm not saying for one minute that better brakes is not better; but bigger is not necessarily better as in this case just like others it adds weight.

People were often going on about huge disks (vented, drilled and grooved sometimes too), with massive 15 pot calipers ( :lol: ) and here we've seen a trend of function and reward based on simplicity and smaller but effective sizes.

It's nice to see, and thankfully because of comments made by people in the know (I don't include me BTW) on a great forum like this, we aren't all Max Powering and pimping our rides into neon-filled, fake bonnet vented Brembo mobiles with electric turbos and quadruple tailpipes. :P

K.I.S.S. seems to be very 'in' right now.

I think as wheels got bigger people wanted bigger disks to fill the gap and thats where the trend came from. Then with the most terrible physics calculations people seem to think that increasing the distance from the hub decreases stopping distance - being able to apply more force. Its refreshing to see people listening for once as I bash my head against the wall trying to educate some of my customers.

Rich, I'll have to speak to you about pad options when you come over :D

Kev

Edited by Batfink

Galifrey
I think as wheels got bigger people wanted bigger disks to fill the gap and thats where the trend came from. Then with the most terrible physics calculations people seem to think that increasing the distance from the hub decreases stopping distance - being able to apply more force. Its refreshing to see people listening for once as I bash my head against the wall trying to educate some of my customers.

Rich, I'll have to speak to you about pad options when you come over :P

Kev

Thats the same as the muppets that think putting wider tyres on gives more grip.

:lol:

Miles

LOL on the old brakes, It's not like the old 205 weigh's allot

Just curious to why Gaz's? as they are very budget in the Damper world and as you can guess I really don;t like them at all

DrSarty

Gaz's were chosen by Colin. I simply would've gone with anything he recommended and we did discuss this.

If they are budget, but Colin likes them, then I guess I've saved some cash. Car tuning I'm learning can be a right money pit, where you can spend as much or as little as you like, i.e. I could spend £2,000plus on suspension, but is that really what I need on this car?

Colin laughed when I said I wanted my brake calipers red BTW. :P

For once I actually want painted calipers, however big they are. They can peek through the holes in my C5s, that Veero's picking up for me from a guy just 5 minutes from his house. What a top chap. The wheels (less than a year old) and tyres less than 200 miles old were £300 BTW, complete with new wheel bolts. :)

These Toyo R888s keep popping up in threads on here and seem to receive good reviews. Comments?

taylorspug
These Toyo R888s keep popping up in threads on here and seem to receive good reviews. Comments?

Dont go out when its raining!

The Gaz shocks do exactly what they are meant to IMO, they are a nice budget shock. I was impressed with them for the money. Im guessing you will be using the Gold series ones, which are very nice, whilst still being reasonable on price. The service from Gaz as a company is impeccable aswell. :)

pablo

R888s are fine in the wet, just not when cold, or in standing water.

Galifrey

Seconded!

Had them on my 7 and in the wet, was like ice skating :)

Galifrey
R888s are fine in the wet, just not when cold, or in standing water.

You won't keep them warm on the road in the rain.... Unless you drive like a tw@t

GLPoomobile

Or when it's snowing :lol::)

DrSarty

R888s coming off to save for track; Toyo T1Rs going on for the road.

:)

Edited by DrSarty

taylorspug

Good choice, im running T1Rs myself, and im very happy with them. Even with the camber on my car the tyres still look like brand new, but give off very good levels of grip. Certainly one of the better choices in the £30ish a tyre bracket.

EDIT: Im still getting 888s for next year though... :)

Edited by taylorspug

DrSarty

That's reassuring Dan. The prices available are amazing. Anyone beat £28.65 each? :)

Edited by DrSarty

welshpug

sounds like Jonny Goodhand's old wheels, are they White?

DrSarty

Don't think so. They're off this:

img00125200909191016.jpg

kyepan

how much did you get the c5 wheels for in the end?

DrSarty
how much did you get the c5 wheels for in the end?

I said earlier J. £300 for 4off with <200 mile Toyo R888s fitted and 16 new wheel bolts. Wheels less than a year old. :)

Sandy

Not bad.

jonnygoodhand

Mine are now in Cambridge, but I did wonder myself!

... and I like the idea of a black centre cap with a red lion on too.

I tried to source some decent caps, as the standard 205/106 Rallye ones wont fit, I'm afraid. I did try the boater hat style ones from a Berlingo van, but wasn't convinced. Would probably look better on black wheels though. I still have them lying around, if you're interested?

centre-caps.jpg

fp-04.jpg

Edited by jonnygoodhand

Galifrey

Don't worry, Sarty is on the look out for some 15 inch trims that look like his TSW's

maxi

Ive driven in the snow with 888's on, was at my ex girls house and saw the snow falling and settling so thought it was a good idea to change cars, QUICK!

They are ok for normal driving in the wet, just dont try to push them at all and as has been said, you cant keep them warm in the wet unless you are driving like a vagina.

As for dry grip, I run an open diff with 202BHP @ the wheels, if im not too violent I can put all 202 horses on the tarmac. Cornering is something else. I would love to try the A048's one day but when I put 60 odd quid per 888 in a 195/50/15, they are a consumable.

Maxi

DrSarty

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone in this thread for contributing so much to cover so many aspects of performance road tuning.

Not tuning roads obviously; that would be silly. :)

kyepan
I said earlier J. £300 for 4off with <200 mile Toyo R888s fitted and 16 new wheel bolts. Wheels less than a year old. :)

I paid 118 for the wheels, then put the tyres on myself.