• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

[project] Sarty Evo II - Phase 2 Of Project Sarty

SurGie

I think he's a member of the citizens advice bureau from outer space going from the avatar :).

Edited by SurGie

DrSarty

More pics tonight with some explanations of the issues and solutions.

24052010624medium.jpg

22052010615medium.jpg

22052010614medium.jpg

20052010606medium.jpg

25052010633medium.jpg

:)

BusEngineer

Looks stunning rich :)

Cant wait for the next batch of pics!

Edited by BusEngineer

jim205GTI
:) Tidy!

DrSarty

28052010644medium.jpg

The St Tropez valance gets its grille (with new lion) and a rad grille tomorrow too.

Braided brake lines (thanks Batfink) need to be 530mm long to accommodate the 406 hubs, calipers and disks.

28052010637medium.jpg

Spacers shown were binned (10mm - hub centric) in favour of spigot rings spun up by Colin to go into some off the shelf 5mm ones. My front track is getting silly.

More in a mo...

p1010626medium.jpg

Edited by DrSarty

zebedy101

Looks absolutley awesome.

oz.

In the last pic - Is it just the point of view or is the catch tank filter a bit too high for the bonnet to shut?

welshpug

Auto bonnet B)

bulge at the back, ideal for placing the expansion tank and oil catch tank high up

DrSarty

As you can see in the pics, the Saxo PAS pump is mounted with its reservoir, but to feed the Xsara VTS Mk I rack I needed to make a custom feed hose.

28052010635medium.jpg

This was £55! B)

I've got a Ford washer bottle (for now) mounted low at the back, with an extended filler neck to place most filler points in the same place and increase the washer bottle capacity.

p1010625medium.jpg

p1010624medium.jpg

The car's suspension has no drop links and no ARB on the rear. Colin made up some Nylon plugs for the ends of the beam.

More tomorrow.

Edited by DrSarty

welshpug

exactly what I thought they may do with the pas hose rich, looks ideal, have you fitted it?

DrSarty

Yes: all fitted.

All fluids are in and holding (no drips), with standard Pug (Esso) gearbox oil (2 litres), 5W 40 Magnetec oil (6.3 litres) and Water Wetter in the 5 something litres of coolant.

It's running the same thermoswitch in the rad as Evo I (92 low 97 high) and took about 0.75litres of red PAS fluid.

All things 'sticking up' clear the bonnet no problem.

Batfink

why have you ditched the rear arb?

DrSarty
why have you ditched the rear arb?

Welshpug asked Sandy.

Sandy's reply was...

"If I tell you, I'll have to kill you."

B)

kyepan

Maybe the track is so wide it doesn't actually roll very much, or enough to warranty one over the effect it would have on single wheel bumps... that's just a guess... hopefully sandy won't kill me. when will you get to drive it?

looks nice rich, tidy and understated,"like".. not sure about the front valance though, still i guess you had to replace the tsw wheels with something equally ghastly B)

Edited by kyepan

welshpug

B)

have you asked Colin if D436BLK has one Kev? ;)

I was looking through one of Rich's 2002 Practical classics mags, and saw your car in there :lol:

rear track is standard 205 :)

Edited by welshpug

Batfink

Well I understand the logic as the rear will be more independant so more comfortable over bumps , but having run a similar setup but with a 309 arb I cannot see the where there will be any handling benefit, if anything it was too soft at the rear. What spring rate are you going for on the rear

steve@cornwall
looks nice rich, tidy and understated,"like".. not sure about the front valance though, still i guess you had to replace the tsw wheels with something equally ghastly B)

^^ agreed, I'm afraid.

Bonzai

In my opinion, the pic doesnt show it off too well, but i always liked the St Tropez on Kates 205's

Coming along lovely Rich :)

DrSarty
Well I understand the logic as the rear will be more independant so more comfortable over bumps , but having run a similar setup but with a 309 arb I cannot see the where there will be any handling benefit, if anything it was too soft at the rear. What spring rate are you going for on the rear

I can't explain simply because I don't really know myself; but in basic terms I believe it's to do with controlling droop rather than stopping roll.

The shafts of the coilovers have been threaded deeper down, and I have quite long springs (rate n/k) which are only just pre-loaded.

I believe the logic is to approach anti-roll another way, and let the springs do the work, controlled by the dampers and that's all.

As I said: I don't really understand it, although Sandy did outline it in a ninja style to Welshpug and I am confident it will work. We will see eh?

I suspect I may be able to rolling road, MoT and drive it by next weekend.

Batfink

have you asked Colin if D436BLK has one Kev? ;)

I was looking through one of Rich's 2002 Practical classics mags, and saw your car in there :D

rear track is standard 205 :D

ha! good point. I have not checked but as far as I am aware it kept the 309 antirollbar and lost the torsion bars completely.

I'll pull it apart when I get it back in a few weeks and have a look as its been a while since Mark Shillaber built it :D

I've got a copy of the mag too :D It was a bit different then!

Mad Scientist

Looking good.

:D

Batfink

it looked good in pieces so I cannot wait to see this complete. Not sure I like the valence...I thought Rich you had a zender valence???

DrSarty

Thanks.

It was always a St Tropez Kev. Rightly or wrongly I've always had a soft spot for them, as Ben said on Kate's and on the 205 in the banner on here. It also let's in s*it loads of cold air down low (where my rad is) and for the brakes where I see no point in having driving lights that do naff all.

Plus as Justin said: something had to remain ghastly. :huh:

More pics here. A long slog of a day fitting the grille (after getting it from a breaker's), an air ramp/shield, the Aerocatches and the fuse/relay box.

29052010651medium.jpg

29052010650medium.jpg

29052010648medium.jpg

29052010649medium.jpg

Reference my suspension: I had a chat with Sandy, and basically the position is this.

Based coincidentally on recent in-depth suspension topics on here (thanks Kyepan, Cameron, Rippthrough etc), it would appear that the solution is looking at the car as a whole.

Isolated views of the front, the front ARB, the rear, rear dampers etc means me answering Kev's question about my rear spring rate is ultimately meaningless, as they are part of a package/solution created by Colin taking into account my modified chassis, wheels, brakes, engine and MY GOAL of a fast road car suitable for track.

My faith and money spent on Colin, capitalises on his extensive trials and testing in competition over the years. I cannot expect to learn (or buy) his experience and be able to quote it. He's just done what he is confident is right. It is unique.

Edited by DrSarty

SurGie

That is looking good, i quite like the front valance as well.

Is that a rear boot inner covering used for the air intake i see ?

Nice idea.

Edited by SurGie

DrSarty
Is that a rear boot inner covering used for the air intake i see ?

Yes. :huh: