• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

[project] Sarty Evo II - Phase 2 Of Project Sarty

DrSarty

More pics very soon, but we're now just ordering the suspension from Gaz.

I can't/won't disclose pricing as it's all part of my deal with Colin. Basically this is what he's explained to me:

The shocks are one-off coilovers to suit the rear turrets with rubber bushes rather than rose joints, and the front are top adjustable coilovers. (It all) includes springs and helper springs for the rear.

Sounds sexy. C5 steelies being sourced. So it won't be long before Evo II's on its wheels.

The 1.6 GTI seats are still available to those interested parties (Hexhamstu was first I believe but hasn't been in touch ref collection), and I'd appreciate someone wanting to take them away. I didn't ask much for them. :unsure:

Edited by DrSarty

Batfink

what spring rates are you going for?

richsmells
The 1.6 GTI seats are still available to those interested parties (Hexhamstu was first I believe but hasn't been in touch ref collection), and I'd appreciate someone wanting to take them away. I didn't ask much for them. :D

Argh, I would have had them if my 205 hadn't been smashed to bits :D

kyepan
Sounds sexy. C5 steelies being sourced. So it won't be long before Evo II's on its wheels.

you have two options, either order them from pug (as i believe they are still available)

or become an ebay hawk like i did.

mine cost about 110, they would have been about 240+vat... then tyres on top.

J

kyepan

you will also find that there will be much reduced axle tramp under heavy braking / wheelspin, the steering will be lighter at speed, and the car generally much nicer to drive..

how are you going to set the cars up brakes wise?

happygoron

But it would look much nicer on a nice set of 1.9 15s!

And we all so sarty places the highest of priorities on the look of his wheels! ;)

kyepan
But it would look much nicer on a nice set of 1.9 15s!

And we all so sarty places the highest of priorities on the look of his wheels! ;)

that may be so... in my case the shed is verging on sleeper, so the advantages outweigh the cosmetic deficiency, and enhance the sleeper ness...

but this is about sarty's car..

DrSarty

*Warning* These are the ramblings of a mad man who misses driving sooooooo much.

As elements of the Gaz suspension set-up are being custom made it won't be delivered for about 2-3 weeks. I'll post pictures when the bits arrive. I'm sure they'll just look like Gaz springs and dampers TBH.

Brakes I'm unsure what we decided, but I think Colin said we would attempt to go either GTI6 or Wilwood all depending on fitment under the C5 steelies.

They are definitely the wheel of choice for me, based on everything Justin (Kyepan) has said about them and others also using them. I'm sold on them.

I am also hoping they will be available from a scrappy from a Citroen C5 some old duffer has pranged or exchanged on the scrappage scheme. Unsure if I'll get them gloss blacked with a red edge bead, but I think I will. aCe's wheels on the EuroTrip were very nice, and I like the idea of a black centre cap with a red lion on too.

I have an auto bonnet courtesy of Paul XIII (my parts saviour) and will get that resprayed and white colour-matched to the car at the same time as the St Tropez valance.

Seats are undecided based on the cost of a re-upholster versus second hand Recaros or the like; but they must be black and red (even just a little red) to go with the theme of the car.

Nico will have a special seat bracket/mounting in the middle of the rear where the rear seat base used to be upon which I can mount his red and black Recaro bucket seat. That way he can see everything going on and be pretend hooning himself. :lol:

The car will not have rear seats or rear side trims (just blanked off), and the red carpet will flow all the way back to the boot lip, underlayed with sound deadening. A much lower profile (to lower CofG) removable bass box will be designed and fitted, incorporating the amps and sound system fusing and power distribution, so that when it comes out for serious hoonage, as much weight as possible is lost.

This unit will geometrically lock into the rear suspension turrets and around the battery box; it won't move unless I want to take it out. Twin 10inch subs will be fitted, most likely JL audio and everything will be trimmed and highlighted in black and red.

I can visualise it, and smell the new strawberry foot air freshener already. Mmmmmmm. ;)

:lol:

Edited by DrSarty

GLPoomobile

Gloss black steelies on a white GTI look the dogs bollocks IMO. Not sure on the red edge though. Works on black Speedlines on a black GTI, but can't see it working (in my head) in a white GTI.

happygoron

Need a photoshop master to knock a pic up methinks.

hexhamstu

St tropez :)

Batfink

Gti-6 brakes are way too heavy. Get wilwoods, otherwise run a decent compound and standard disks. You will notice the handling benefit

taylorspug

Another vote for giving the '6 brakes the elbow, its like throwing away all the benefits of the C5 wheels again. Noticeably dulled the turn in on the cars ive tried them on. Although they are a very good reliable budget setup, so i can see why people use them. :)

DrSarty

Sorted then on the brakes. :)

I've always liked the 1.9 calipers with the Ferodo DS2500s. Wilwoods are just a maybe.

I like the St Tropez. I've always like the red car top left of some of this forum's banners, and I don't 'roll' with driving lights anyone. Muchos cold air instead B) .

Galifrey
Sorted then on the brakes. :)

I've always liked the 1.9 calipers with the Ferodo DS2500s. Wilwoods are just a maybe.

I like the St Tropez. I've always like the red car top left of some of this forum's banners, and I don't 'roll' with driving lights anyone. Muchos cold air instead B) .

Presumably you can get 1.9 calipers etc under the C5 steelies without any fouling?

kyepan

Is the front set up standard gaz wise, if so make sure you get the longer springs, the 6" ones i had did not have nearly enough travel for the road. They went coil bound when travelling down between beaconsfield and taplow, sending you boinging across into the other lane.. Just not suitable at all. Although i'm sure colin has that in hand.

I hope the flattening of the seats is a satirical reference to that chap on the saxo forum who claimed folding down the back seats gave him a lower center of gravity. We lampooned him... he ran away.

Also, you're spending lots on fancy suspension and weight reduction, only to put in two big heavy electromagnets... isn't the chorus of nico's terrified screams over the roar of throttle bodies music enough?

Perhaps you should send down similarly weighted / sized items and ask colin to position them within the car to improve the corner weights, then build your stereo around that, at least if you must add weight, add it to somewhere to help the balance. :)

Brakes wise, if you go gti-6 you're adding approx 5kgs per side unsprung weight over 1.6 brakes, 3.5kgs over 1.9..

Willwoods are reasonable if they have alloy bells, however the standard polymatrix pads have a habit of eating discs in a few thousand miles, they did on a mates pulsar, and another mates tvr.. stick with mintex or ferrodo ds2500 if you get them

I've seen some decent alcon setups with alloy bells on here recently, very light. and AP do a multi piston caliper in 205 fitment.. perhaps a kit with alloy bells may also be available.

Lowering the unsprung weight made a helluva difference, to how my car performed and felt to drive. You'll save 3.5kgs with the c5 steelies.. save some more with the lightest brake set up you can get away with and enjoy the real benefits colin's suspension has to offer. I seriously consider getting rid of the 283mm setup, yes it stops superbly... no it's not even remotely light.

Galifrey

What is the weight of a C5 steel wheel?

welshpug

4.7kg from memory, should have some on Friday :)

I'm thinking about this big brake business at the moment too, my ZX as standard runs the S16 266mm setup with its fairly small pads, they're ok but have the feeling they could be better especially as I have 12 bhp more than stock.

I could go gti6 once I change the wheels (15" zx wheels dont have enough space for 283mm) or I could stick to 266mm but a different caliper, but what?

GLPoomobile
I hope the flattening of the seats is a satirical reference to that chap on the saxo forum who claimed folding down the back seats gave him a lower center of gravity. We lampooned him... he ran away.

WTF? :rolleyes: Was there somebody else who did this then? Cos the original f***wit was on a Vauxhall Corsa forum IIRC.

Galifrey

We best arrange for someone to send Sarty a set of THESE so he has something to wean him off the TSW's

:rolleyes:

jackherer

IIRC the corsa person was claiming that lowering the seats made the car lighter, not that folding them would lower the center of gravity as that is actually correct, albeit by a negligible amount.

GLPoomobile
IIRC the corsa person was claiming that lowering the seats made the car lighter, not that folding them would lower the center of gravity as that is actually correct, albeit by a negligible amount.

Ah sorry, I misinterpreted what Justin was on about :ph34r:

Back on topic.....

DrSarty

But folding the seats down does make the car lighter, just like if you were lying on a frozen pond.

:D

And Mark, I would buy those lovely chrome trims but they're 14inch.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VIS...em=220490055795

And thanks to Eagle-Eyed-Arahan, I may have just secured my C5 steelies x 5, complete with new wheel bolts and less than 200 mile Toyo R888s on for a tidy little sum. :(

I'm having 406 brakes to go with the 406 hubs BTW.

All comments ref GTI6 brakes duly noted and I would say correct.

I would also add - at the usual risk of offending many - that car 'tuning' seems to have fashion trends. I'm not saying for one minute that better brakes is not better; but bigger is not necessarily better as in this case just like others it adds weight.

People were often going on about huge disks (vented, drilled and grooved sometimes too), with massive 15 pot calipers ( :ph34r: ) and here we've seen a trend of function and reward based on simplicity and smaller but effective sizes.

It's nice to see, and thankfully because of comments made by people in the know (I don't include me BTW) on a great forum like this, we aren't all Max Powering and pimping our rides into neon-filled, fake bonnet vented Brembo mobiles with electric turbos and quadruple tailpipes. :lol:

K.I.S.S. seems to be very 'in' right now.

GLPoomobile
It's nice to see, and thankfully because of comments made by people in the know (I don't include me BTW) on a great forum like this, we aren't all Max Powering and pimping our rides into neon-filled, fake bonnet vented Brembo mobiles with electric turbos and quadruple tailpipes. :ph34r:

If you look at the topic about what our members do for a living, I think the high proportion of engineers explains why we have such a high standard of decent, practical, and sensible advice on this forum.

DrSarty
If you look at the topic about what our members do for a living, I think the high proportion of engineers explains why we have such a high standard of decent, practical, and sensible advice on this forum.

You f*cking creep!!! :ph34r: