• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

[engine_work] Project Sarty

Mandic

Hehe, it never ends, does it? :ph34r:

Cheers

Ziga

DrSarty

Matt (QEP) has been taking progress phots of the engine build as per my request.

They will be posted as soon as I have them - I can't wait to see them myself.

Edited by DrSarty

James_R

as sandy says the 1.6 16v items, or the 1.4 16v items, they're about £14 for a halfrauds set, or I may have a set abotu the job if you need some :)

DrSarty
I may have a set abotu the job if you need some :)

That could be very useful James. I am a scrounger after all! :lol:

Remember though, I don't need a set; I just need 4 off of the shortest one.

Hope you can help or even point me to a supplier who sells singles (except Vauxhall that is @ £55 each one!)

:wacko:

jim205GTI

:wacko: find a halfords which has four boxes of corsa leads in....... take the shortest one out of each of them and replace with the longer ones so you end up with a box of short leads and they still think its a complete set :lol:

Not that i am suggesting you actually do this :lol::)

kyepan

halfrauds also do the custom leads in the packs, you can buy them individually..

Dan Ingram

Are you getting some off the shelf vents to replace the driving lights? if so where from and how much? Or are you making some up yourself?

DrSarty
Are you getting some off the shelf vents to replace the driving lights? if so where from and how much? Or are you making some up yourself?

Haven't shopped around yet, although I'm expecting to have to make some myself. It maybe just some of that grille, mesh stuff (perhaps painted red) fixed behind the lamp space in the valence which I will have cut out and smoothed.

Behind that will be either nothing or some cold air feed tubing channelled to either suit the air box feed or to direct air into the engine bay to keep heat down.

I'm expecting to manufacture something though, as I don't know if there's anything off the shelf for blanking these valence lamp holders. Does anyone?

vern

I am sure it was sonofsam who said he could spin some up, when i was discussing vents at the front, there is a topic somewhere but can not find it.

DrSarty
I am sure it was sonofsam who said he could spin some up, when i was discussing vents at the front, there is a topic somewhere but can not find it.

I might speak to SONOFSAM about these. I certainly wouldn't pay £60 for a set, however shiny they are. And also it defeats one objective of this project; to keep costs down. I'm positive a bit of discreet ingenuity will win the day.

I am also positive that a CAI (Cold Air Intake) system will benefit the car's performance in some way. I may seem a little obsessed with it at times, but those low mounted driving lights are 'pump' anyway, and for my rallying (well kinda), you need powerful lamps burning brightly down the narrow lanes. The standards are just no good. So I'm not so much as losing a great set of lights, but gaining a better breathing engine. :ph34r:

This image makes the point quite well I think, and is taken from article 1 (link below).

1023_13lo.jpg

Also, thanks to a pleasant evening with Batfink, his (lasagne with crusty bread cooking :) )other half and Kyepan last night, I was reassured that this 'obsession' with feeding the 2.2 monster cold, dense - and now I've learnt pressurised air - can yield even basic performance improvements such as better throttle response.

These three links are interesting:

Article 1 (and most relevant)

Article 2

Article 3

Interesting website as a whole actually. Try this article

Thanks Justin (Kyepan).

Edited by DrSarty

Batfink

interesting stuff. Makes me want to buy a Dwyer Magnehelic Differential Pressure Gauge

GLPoomobile

Cheers for that, now I'm going to be reading this for ages when I should be working :)

I've read a couple of parts and it is sooooooo interesting! No really! I love the guy's writing style. Normally I find it hard to digest techy stuff - no mater how determined I am to learn something new I get bored and give up. This guy makes it amusing to keep reading on.

Excellent link :ph34r:

DrSarty

**clicky**

Just a link to a forum thread re: coolant pipe simplification and what thermostat I'll be running (8valve 82deg).

:)

Edited by DrSarty

maturin23

Looking good matey - I'll be keen to see how she goes when all is finished...

Oh - and that Autospeed site is great, been a time-waster for me for sometime - the 405 diesel mods thing was execellent.

DrSarty
Looking good matey - I'll be keen to see how she goes when all is finished...

Thanks. And very, bloody rapid I should think :)

GLPoomobile

Rich, you were asking about valance vents. Dunno if you noticed but there was another topic about cutting through the panel behind the valance yesterday, and someone (Tom Fenton IIRC) replied with pictures of some vents he has in his valance.

Hunt it out, cos I'm too lazy to find it again and link to it :)

DrSarty
I've also found a few different size ones in the Demon Tweeks that aren't to overly priced. I'm going to go and measure up at the weekend and see if any of them fit.

Thanks for that Dan. The 'Team' works :)

DrSarty

Collecting the engine Friday, 1st Feb (hopefully with Kyepan), 12 days before my 37th birthday. Subtle eh! :lol:

And just playing with the basic figures again (for displacement):

(87mm x 0.5)^2 x 22/7 x 92 x 4 / 1000 = 2188cc

{bore halved & squared x Pi x stroke x 4cyl / convert mm^3 to cc}

In the throws of either refurbing my Mi16 gearbox and fitting a ATB/LSD to cope with the power OR sourcing a complete and refurbed 1.6 box (for "frantic" fun - adjective courtesy of Anthony) with a Quaife already fitted. Be lucky :ph34r:

I've been given a 'liberated' (£215!!!) gel battery to mount in the back, which now just needs a basic metal tray fabricated to hold it in with mini load straps once bolted through the boot floor. In-line fuel filter is in and I'm now cutting out the old driving lamp wells in the front valence for the cold air feed. Front on, the LHS will just vent into the engine bay (cooling) and the RHS will be a 3" dia hose, up from the old lamp position to a t-piece and the other 3" cold air feed behind the NS headlight off into the airbox.

Quite simply my limitation at the moment is funds. Still gotta find £300+ for the Megaspark & Squirt set-up, but then we should be pretty good to go. Just the mould on the steering wheel to clean off. :ph34r:

I have FAR too much time on my hands. :P

Edited by DrSarty

VisaGTi16v

Would get a plate diff with that power!

PS: Damm you for that engine etc lol

DrSarty

Well, off to QEP tomorrow after lunch to get the engine - which shall hence forth be known as FRED in honour of Maturin's new little lad - and place it here:

Feb08A004Medium.jpg

Seeing as this afternoon I completed phase (i), of faffing about in the garage making sure there's enough room for Fred and me to work on jamming the bugger in. :ph34r:

Feb08A003.jpg

Watch this space. Phots of Fred tomorrow.

kate205gti

oh dear not another one who names engine :ph34r: name the CAR not the engine :wub::lol:

good luck with it thou :lol:

maturin23

Hehe - nice one matey - the little one is truly honoured.... :ph34r:

Can't wait to see how the Project comes together - should be monstrous