• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

[engine_work] Project Sarty

projectpug

Can't be much wrong with the filter with it making the power it is :huh:

Bonzai

i cant find my original source but it was something along the lines of leaving 50mm between the trumpet mouth and the back of the filter. Only referance ive dug up is this pipercross website which states 19mm minimum http://www.pipercross.net/competition/products_px600.asp

No doubt its not having a drastic (or even noticable) effect but thats the theory to it, i think would have endevoured to get something a bit bigger behind there personally.

DrSarty
i think would have endevoured to get something a bit bigger behind there personally.

Next engine build Ben, I promise. :)

Stu

Awesome, epic build. I caught bits of this during your progress mate but decided this morning id have a sit down and read from start to finish.

Excellent results mate, and im particularly impressed that its avoided the 'cheque book' tuning way of doing things.

Inspiring stuff mate to say the least.

A big thumbs up from me :D

(p.s... u do realise that i have to build one now for next years trackday escapades... :( )

Galifrey

I had some issues on my kitcar with the filter "hammering" on the inlet trumpets. Some of my colleagues from locostbuilders used THIS to improve the flow and benefit from the cold air intake more.

Sandy

Airboxes with a necked inlet like that, can dramatically alter the pulse tuning and create positive or more commonly negative effects, much like a plenum. The best design is engine specific and without a massive amount of development time, you're likely to lose mid range power, around 4-5% typically. The benefits of cold air supply on a rolling road can be visible, but on the road it becomes just about irrelevant, engine bay temp on the move is close enough to ambient in most cases, as to make no difference. The major cock up that many people make with TBs in a 205, is to have the mouths right behind the rad, breathing mostly ex rad air. A simple baffle works wonders without the need for a box.

Galifrey

True enough mate, in the 7 it helped to duct the air from somewhere cooler as everything underbonnet is behind the rad/oil cooler, with Rich's well lowered rad, I am guessing it will be less of an issue.

Sandy

Aye the engine bay is more of a sealed box in a 7!

DrSarty

Just to confirm: there are no issues with the inlet on my car. The rad is uber low and the bodies through the ITG filter breathe direct air in straight through the grille. There is even a shield/heat deflector/flow director (silvered) above the rad so the bodies get the best air feed they could possibly get.

I agree with everything Porker and Sandy have said though in general terms; they just don't apply here, as I am 'all sorted for E's and whizz' as they say....apparently.

Edited by DrSarty

Pugcrazy33

amazing thread mate, enjoyed the read :unsure: