• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[engine_work] 2.0 Turbo Cti Project Begins

tom_m

true true, but on the s/c engine the throttle plate and iacv are pre boost as opposed to post boost in the turbo, but shouldn't make a difference if it works in Henry's :D

M@tt

spent a bit of today trying to sort the intercooler

i'd bought a 90 degree aluminium bend with the intention of fitting it in place of one of the I/C outlets and connect it up to the silcone 90 bend from the throttle body however i found that the bend wasn't sharp enough and it would mean the I/C would sit too far forward and impact with the front grill. Luckily the bend came with quite long straight legs so i was able to make a 90 degree bend from them instead.

I found a very useful site for making pipe cutting templates

http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

SNC00033.jpg

i ground some of the ic outlet hole so that it was slightly smoother to help the air flow. I might grind it some more before finally welding it all together.

SNC00049.jpg

SNC00050.jpg

i had thought about fitting a take off on the bend for the ICV pipe but i think i'll use this outlet on the pipe which feeds the I/C

SNC00032.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/meb...TI/SNC00067.jpg

Edited by cybernck

sonofsam

Dont want to piss on your fireworks, but that sharp corner will do nothing for your flow!

smooth radius bends are the way to do it, even if it does mean a slighty longer tract :blink:

M@tt

cheers Sam, yeah i realise that the flow isn't goingto be the best but it was proving impossible to fit the pipe without it pushing the intercooler so far forward that it would mean the grill wouldn't fit on.

I'll see how it goes and its its affecting flow too much then i'll have to have a rethink

sonofsam

If you could create something like this it would be better!

pipe12.jpg

Tom Fenton

Agree totally, that corner is gash, be a shame to spoil all the rest of your hard work by restricting airflow with that bit.

M@tt

right best get myself back in the shed in that case,hopefully i'll have enough pipe left over to make another angle bit

M@tt

not a very exciting update i'm afraid, been doing a few bits here and there over the past week or so and i'm still waiting on various parts off ebay to arrive but i've managed to pretty much sort all of the wiring out today.

That included

1) stripping out 8v loom

2) routing/fitting wire for oil pressure gauge

3) routing/fitting wire for oil temp sensor

4) routing/fitting wire for 3 pin VSS sensor

i managed to get a big multipin plug from a 406 yesterday at the local scrappy so i mated up both the looms to either side of the plug

SNC00090.jpg

i also trial fitted the new air filter after chopping off the bend on the end of the standard induction piping as otherwise it would point it straight into the battery. It's meant removing part of the pipe which had a take off which goes to the oil filler section but i'll fit a catch tank instead to get round this.

SNC00092.jpg

Edited by M@tt

tom_m

ooo matt while i remember, i shortened the alt tensioner bracket 15mm and ended up with this :)

Image_565.jpg

Image_559.jpg

Image_566.jpg

M@tt

nice one tom!, i've chopped mine up as well now but i can't drill through the bloody thing for the new hole!, i can't work out whether my drill bits are s*ite or the metals too hard, i'm guessing the former tbh

Edited by M@tt

Rippthrough

Probably a bit of both, the last one I drilled work hardened like a swine.

What size is that elbow from the intercooler Matt, think I got a 2.5" mandrel bent 90* somewhere left over from doing the buggy exhaust.

tom_m
nice one tom!, i've chopped mine up as well now but i can't drill through the bloody thing for the new hole!, i can't work out whether my drill bits are s*ite or the metals too hard, i'm guessing the former tbh

Probably a bit of both, the last one I drilled work hardened like a swine.

what he said ^

i started very small and kept the bit well supplied with oil, once i'd penetrated i worked up in small steps. i probably should have gone to 20mm looking at the amount of space i have left, but cba on drilling another one of those soon! :)

Edited by tom_m

M@tt

tom out of interest how have you plumbed in your coolant pipe from the expansion tank to the distribution block on the back of the block.

I tried to run the standard pipe to it today but firstly it was too short and also its very tight down the back of there what with the servo, the turbo the induction pipes, fuel pipes etc etc! the outlet pretty much points stright at the turbo iirc so i think i'm going to need some sort or bend to angle it toward the servo and then stright across the back of the bulkhead.

If anyone has any pics of how they've done theirs i'd love to see them please

i'm thinking i might have to get some 22mm plumbing connectors (straights, 45 & 90degree) and do like i did on my GTI6 conversion and knock up some sort of connector

M@tt

phil the pipe is 63mm so 21/2 however the bend has got to be really tight as otherwise it pushes the intercooler too far forward. I've got some more aluminium pipe and the templates to put a 45 degree bend in my previous effort to get rid of the sharp corner but i'm waiting on some 1mm cutting discs to arrive for my angle grinder. Hopefully they should be here tomorrow and then i can get that finished.

Tom Fentons kindly agreed to weld it up for me with the welder that can do aluminium as mine can't.

Edited by M@tt

tom_m

the short answer is i haven't yet.

the long one involves crossing that bridge when i come to it, quite a bit of head scratching and t-pieces i think :)

M@tt

coolio well i'm off to B&Q/screwfix tomorrow lunch time to pick up a few bits so i'll post up once i've come up with something :)

Rippthrough

They're as tight as you can possibly get them without cutting + shutting, have you seen how tight the engine bay is in the buggy? :)

DrSarty

Brilliant read. Nice work. Looking fwd to it firing up.

Miles

A couple here, I had to use a couple of pipes and make a custom joining part with was TIG'd together for the different size pipes

post-43-1226879634_thumb.jpg

post-43-1226879647_thumb.jpg

sonofsam
tom out of interest how have you plumbed in your coolant pipe from the expansion tank to the distribution block on the back of the block.

I tried to run the standard pipe to it today but firstly it was too short and also its very tight down the back of there what with the servo, the turbo the induction pipes, fuel pipes etc etc! the outlet pretty much points stright at the turbo iirc so i think i'm going to need some sort or bend to angle it toward the servo and then stright across the back of the bulkhead.

If anyone has any pics of how they've done theirs i'd love to see them please

I used a BBM hose from the exp. tank to the water dist. block and a T-piece housed underneath the exp. bottle to T off into the heater matrix with the standard

205 hose

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...=samsboook6.jpg

Ive got a feeling I used a 8v BBM lower expansion tank hose the wrong way round!! it is tight fit and slightly kinked, but works !!

Couldn't find a copper plumbing T piece the right size for it at the time, so used a plastic one found ton tinternet.

Routed mine out the way so you cant see the join :):(

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...nt=DVC01738.jpg

Edited by sonofsam

M@tt

tonight i managed to finish the aluminium bend for my intercooler, fitting and extra bend it it to aide the air flow

SNC00098.jpg

SNC00101.jpg

and looking at the other I/C outlet it pretty much lines up with the standard intercooler pipe work but not quite due to a kink on the end of the pipe work. It means i'm going to have to use an aluminium straight connected onto the intercooler outlet and remove a section of the standard plastic pipe. It will mean also welding on 2 takeoffs onto the aluminium straight one for the dump valve and the other for the idle control valve take off.

SNC00103.jpg

i also spent quite a bit of time re routing the wiring loom round the engine, getting everything as tidy as can be and trying to figure out where to position various items such s the ECU,

thats it for the mo

Edited by M@tt

M@tt

Cheers DrS

Well I did a bit more on it tonight.

Firstly I need to say a big thanks to Tom Fenton who spent several hours yesterday evening welding up the intercooler and bend for me in exchange for me giving his turbo mini chassis a bit of a clean ready for its magazine photo shoot on Friday, something I was more than happy to do.

So with the intercooler all done it was a case of trial fitting everything

With the additional curve I created in the bend it has meant that intercooler has been pushed slightly further than I had initially planned and it sticks out slight further forward from the slam panel

SNC00115.jpg

As a remedy to this I’ve removed one of the support struts in the grill which allows the intercooler to sit closer up to it.

SNC00122.jpg

With a little bit of persuasion I think the grill will fit and look ok. However now that the I/C is sticking out further it has meant that the standard fan setup won’t fit as originally intended which was as normal but with some major chopping done to it. So it looks like I might have to fit the fan on its own with the majority of the cowling removed. I'll secure the fan to that rad by threading zip ties through the radiator fins I think. I'm pretty confident this will work.

With the intercooler in place I was then able to chop off the end section of the standard plastic intercooler feed pipe and cut a section of aluminium pipe to length to fit in its place.

I also got a short 19mm tube section which I cut in half to make the 2 takes off on the pipe. Hopefully Tom will weld these on for me as well if the horrors of Wednesday night haven’t put him off :lol:

SNC00117.jpg

With the intercooler pipe work all in place I double checked that the air filter wasn't going to impact on it, which it didn't so that’s all fine on that from:)

SNC00120.jpg

Oh while I think of it I also drilled 2 small holes in the front of the scuttle pan section so that I could bolt the boost control valve to it

SNC00110.jpg

I also knocked up a few connectors for the coolant plumbing.

Using a similar method to what miles posted a bit further up I’ve used some plumbing supplies to knock up a T piece and some additional hose joiners.

SNC00107.jpg

Finally a shot of the intercooler and rad

SNC00123.jpg

So it definitely feels like I’ve made a bit of progress now :lol: I'll be working on it tomorrow and over the weekend as well so watch this space for more updates.

Edited by M@tt

DrSarty

EDP gave me a link to a joiners place here: http://www.garden-sprinklers.co.uk/enter.html

They're black, ribbed, cheap, look the part and do the job. Just an alternative to using household (but effective) copper pipe.

Also, I love the precision if this job, especially when you make no effort to hide the most important tool:

Hammer.jpg

:lol:

Miles

A good way mount the rad, Just cut the bottom cross member away and make a drop down frame

post-43-1227228772_thumb.jpg