• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[engine_work] 2.0 Turbo Cti Project Begins

M@tt

been a very long time since i did anything on the cti but now that the gti6 conversion is behind me and having built carport to give me somwewhere to work i've turned my attention back to the CTI, just in time for winter :)

i've started looking at plumbing and routing the various pipes. The engine originally cam from a XM and i thought it would be good to try and use as much of th oroginal pipes as possible. The first problem i encountered was around te master cylinder/servo area using the standard xm platic pipe

SNC00025.jpg

the plan at the moment is to fit a servo from a diesel as its smaller so should hopefully give me a bit more clearance and failing that it will then be a case of angling the servo setup sideways or upwards a bit. Servo should be here by the weekend then it'll be a case of suck it and see as to the fitting

SNC00036.jpg

watch this space for further updates

calvinhorse

top job M@TT!

Rob Turbo

There's a lug that sticks out the back of the head that the inlet pipe pushes against, cut this off and you can move the pipe closer to the head and it will clear the master cylinder

M@tt

cheers Rob i'll have a look tomorrow to see if i can spot it

Rob Turbo

It's in the top photo, between the first 2 head bolts, more or less in line with the turbo outlet, big lump sticking out, just cutting the corner off helps a lot.

M@tt

ah nice one!

SNC00025-1.jpg

right the angle grinder will be getting a work out tomorrow :)

Rob Turbo

That's the one!

M@tt

sit a bit closer to the head and away from the master cylinder. I think combined with the diesel servo I’ve got it should give enough clearance. I wasn't able to try the clearance properly as I had sprayed the new servo and it was drying.

SNC00038.jpg

SNC00041.jpg

I then turned my attention to the intercooler. I've got a 2wd cossie intercooler cheap of eBay which seems to be a good fit between the headlight panels so the first job was to chop off the additional outlet

SNC00042.jpg

I then attempted to weld a washer onto it to blank up the hole but it appears the intercooler is made of alloy as the MIG welding wouldn't take so I’ll have to wait to get my TIG welder working properly before sorting that

SNC00043.jpg

I was then looking at whether it was possible to shorten the intercooler so that the ports on the intercooler would match up perfectly with the throttle body inlet and the pipe from the turbo but looking inside the intercooler I think the core has some sort of blanking on parts of the end of it so I’m not sure if just cutting it shorter and re welding the end section onto it will work

SNC00048.jpg

Regardless of whether I end up shortening it I’m going to re-angle the 45 degree inlet/outlet port on the intercooler so that it’s like the other one at 90 degree to the intercooler so that it will mate up with the other pipe work

SNC00067.jpg

I then trial fitted the intercooler above the radiator but found I needed to remove a couple of the lugs on the intercooler so that it could sit flush on top of the radiator

SNC00064.jpg

SNC00069.jpg

With the lugs removed I could get the intercooler and radiator to sit nicely together, only needing to drop the radiator slightly. If needs be I can get a hole saw and stick some holes along the bottom cross member to allow air flow to the bottom portion of the radiator and route the wiring harness usually there onto the bottom of the cross member.

SNC00070.jpg

the other slight issue I might have is the alternator adjuster may impact the radiator but I should be able to shorten the adjuster by re-drilling the mounting hole and removing the excess material, I’ll need a shorter belt as well but this should be easy to get from a motor factors.

SNC00063.jpg

so that’s where I am at the mo

Watch this space

Edited by M@tt

Tom Fenton

The I/C end tanks are definitely aluminium, it would weigh a ton otherwise. Also forget TIG welding it with a DC machine as it won't work, you need an AC TIG welder, as mine happens to be.

M@tt

cheers Tom

Might need some assitance then in a few minor I/C alterations if your up for it :unsure:

Tom Fenton

Can do, fetch it round on Thursday before the meet if you like?

M@tt

i got footy before the meet unfortunatly but if i make the necessary alterations and bring it with me prehaps i could call round on friday? i'll pm you :)

gazzamec

just noticed where you have your alternator, cant you use a normal 8v one and use the mount that you can see above the alt under the engine mount?

tom_m
the other slight issue I might have is the alternator adjuster may impact the radiator but I should be able to shorten the adjuster by re-drilling the mounting hole and removing the excess material, I’ll need a shorter belt as well but this should be easy to get from a motor factors.

i'm about to do this too, but i must have a shorter belt, because i've got a least an inch of free space i can take off without affecting the alt position, and that will clear the rad easily. no idea what it came off tho, it was just lying around in the workshop.

M@tt

Tom so you have the same bracket as me?

the bracket on mine is the original of the xm engine, the extra bit sticking out of the top of it was to tension the PAS pump iirc

M@tt

I've done a little bit more

even with the new smaller diesel servo i found the master cylinder was still a bit close to the cam cover and turbo pipng so i decided to angle it out the way slightly.

I traced the rubber gasket onto some 3mm plywood and cut out a spacer and filed it so that it was sloped.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/meb...TI/SNC00073.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/meb...TI/SNC00074.jpg

even with the pedal box slightly angled it still wasn't sufficient to clear the pipe and because i didn't want to angle it too much for fear of throwing the pedals out of position i created another spacer to go between the servo and the pedal box and this turned out to be sufficient.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/meb...TI/SNC00077.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/meb...TI/SNC00078.jpg

i also knocked up a few simple brackets to support the lowered radiator

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/meb...TI/SNC00083.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/meb...TI/SNC00084.jpg

The next job is to sort the intercooling ducting, i've got some silicone bends coming, but looking at the standard XM piping i have, there is a takeoff from the standard pipe that goes from throttle body to intercooler which goes to the idle control valve, but if i use 2 silicone bends between the TB and the intercooler i can't see how i'd connect it so i'm thinking i might use an alloy 90 bend and have it welded inplace of the intercooler outlet and them i can weld a 20mm take off onto that for the standard pipe to fit to. or i suppose i could fit it onto the other side of the I/C as i don't think it makes a difference??

Edited by cybernck
image filesize too large!

tom_m
Tom so you have the same bracket as me?

the bracket on mine is the original of the xm engine, the extra bit sticking out of the top of it was to tension the PAS pump iirc

yes mate i do, but i've ground off the PAS tensioner limb.

and you can take that idle control air from anywhere, it just needs to bypass the throttle plate, you could put a little filter on it and draw from atmosphere if you wanted

Edited by tom_m

M@tt

cheers tom

so the idle feed definitely doesn't need to have "turbo" air because the take off on the stadard setup would be pressurised coming out of the turbo?

tom_m
cheers tom

so the idle feed definitely doesn't need to have "turbo" air because the take off on the stadard setup would be pressurised coming out of the turbo?

not at idle it wouldn't, the inlet is in vacuum at idle not pressure, and there is no air flow metering up stream to worry about. just the map sensor, and that taps of the inlet manifold.

have you had your IC outlet reangled yet?

M@tt

isn't the idle control valve controlled by temp though?

i thought it was opened when the engine was cold to help cold start/idling but if the car is booted when its cold wouldn't the valve be open?

tom_m
so as you said, it will only be open when the car is at idle and therefore not under any pressure

actually thats a good point, its probably a good idea to keep it in the boost circuit, in case it leaks boost pressure back past the valve when its on boost

Henry Yorke

My ICV takes air from just after the air filter and seems ok. I think the less pressure you run through them, the longer they will last!

tom_m
My ICV takes air from just after the air filter and seems ok. I think the less pressure you run through them, the longer they will last!

good to know cheers henry! :)

the only reason i was thinking of keeping it was for ghetto anti-slag, jacking it open at idle with 0 degree advance to spool the turbo up ;)

M@tt

also looking at Jamies S/C GTI 6 you can see that the idle control valve on that just has a small air filter fitted to it directly as you suggested Tom. I think i might go for that option as its certainly a easier option that fabbing another takeoff onto the I/C bend and also means its one less pipe on an engine that already resembles a vipers nest :)

DSC00574.jpg