• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[engine_work] 2.0 Turbo Cti Project Begins

M@tt

and it gets even smaller!! in my quest to prep the body work properly i've decided to replace the front panel and treat any of the rust that will be slowly creeping up the inner wings. I bought a spot weld drill off ebay for about £4 so tonight i set about removing the front panel, an hour or so later and it was off :D

DSC00026.jpg

i then drilled out the spot welds holding the front of the inner wings on, this allows me to seperate the joints and get right in there and clean up any rust

DSC00030.jpg

the existing rust isn't too extensive and i should be able to clean it up pretty well

DSC00029.jpg

Edited by M@tt

Paintguy

Wow, you really are going for it :D I thought you were getting fairly close to painting, but by the look of it I don't need to be cracking the guns out just yet :lol:

Did you get around to getting that undercoat btw?

SurGie

I wet the floor well so it sort of attracts the dust down and keeps it there.

M@tt

yeah as ever with me it's 1 step forward 2 steps back :lol: but as you yourself would say, if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing properly. I'd hate for rust to start bubbling through a year so so down the line after putting all the hard work in of respraying it.

Yeah i bought another 1.5l litres of basecoat so i think i should have everything now :D

Oh one question, should i primer then stonechip? or does stonechip go straight onto bare metal?

Edited by M@tt

Paintguy

Ideally, primer - stonechip - primer - paint, but the second layer of primer doesn't need to be much really, just a light covering to help the paint stick :blink:

Henry Yorke

There was a new front panel on ebay recently near Stoke for about £20

M@tt

been chipping away at the body work still, slowly making progress treating the various rust spots around the car. I've used a combintion of sanding, bilt-hamber deox gel and kurust to treat the affected areas. Once the areas have been treated i've given it a coat of UPol Acid Etch Primer or UPol Weld through primer for those reas where i'm going to have to spot weld the panels back together.

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

Edited by M@tt

M@tt

did another hour or 2 on it tonight

i wasn't happ with my first attempt at a patch panel for the froont of the inner wing on the passengers side dn the drivers side also had rusted away slightly so i've chopped a clean section out on both sides and will make a new panel for both sides

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

also remember i mentioned about how i love to pick at things, well i've been at it again. The bottom corner of the drivers door had some rust as can be seen in some of the pics above, well yesterday i treated it with kurust and today i can to sand it down befor esraying over it with primer but i found that the rust appeared to be between teh pnaels that meet in that corner so i kept sanding/picking away until this is what i was left with so, looks like i'll need to make a few other small bits as well!!

DSC00053.jpg

oh and for anyone looking to do any body work especially 205's where you're going to have to get into fiddly areas i can thoroughly recommend one of these needle nose style sanders

630726_KA900E_2_Cyclonic.jpg

They are really really useful! Mr Fenton showed me his (as it were :)) when i was round at his a while ago and recommended one and i can honestly say its been invaluable so far! It likes to eat sanding belts though by you can get packs of 5 in various grits from toolstation.co.uk for £0.94 so they're pretty cheap.

Edited by M@tt

M@tt

update time

it took a while but i eventually sourced a new second hand pattern front panel to replace the rotten mess that was my previous one. On trial fitting it it was apparent it was a pretty crap match but could be salvaged by dismanteling it and re welding it back together. Pulling it all part would also allow me to drop the bottom cross member properly and make it look a bit more "factory"

So with my trusty spot weld drill i removed all the spot welds on the panel so that it came apart into it various sections

DSC00140.jpg

On pulling the sections apart it was clear that some light surface rust was already setting in between the existing panel joins so it was just aswell that i had pulled it apll apart. These will all be sanded back to baremetal and resprayed.

DSC00141.jpg

i roughly clamped the panel back in place before i make a start on patching/extending some of the panels so that it all joins together properly and looks better

DSC00142.jpg

I also decided to make my own smaller fan setup, so with my jigsaw i chopped down the rad cowling setup till i ended up with this.

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

I'll make some simple brackets to hold the grill in place now that the mounting holes which were on the cowling have now gone

Galifrey

The great thing about drilling spot welds is reassembly....

1 Pop rivet lines everything up ready for welding.

Or

Epoxy and poprivet it back together!

:ph34r:

Jamal

Oh and whilst i think of it i also did the tacho modification on my clocks last night as well so that the rev counter works with the turbo engine. I used the same method on my GTI6 clocks and it's worked perfectly.

index.jpg

pic courtest of PeterT i believe

Hi!

I've done this mod too, but my rev counter still not working. My XU10J2Te is from a Xantia. In autodata I've seen that the rev counter signal cames from ECU pin 43, so took the wire from there.

Where You got the signal for the rev counter?

Thank You very much!

Tom Fenton

I tried this and sadly it didn't work for me either :unsure:

I bought a convertor from Emerald in the end.