• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

[track_prep] Mi16 Track Car - Going Back Together!

Jonmurgie

Well you can use cheaper 'push on' fittings but that works out a around £450 so for me the extra £150 for the Goodridge seems worth it!

taylorspug
And as for the cost of the pipes/fittings... your both WAY off, total was in excess of £800 but I did get 25% off so it all cost around £620 :o That's the best of the best stuff you can get though, Goodridge 200 Series Hose with lightweight fittings :D

I should bloody hope you did get a dicount at that price... :D

phatgti

That is the correct way to strap a car to a trailer, your try to stop backwards/forwards movement, not up and down.

I use the long strap and ratchet hook style, very safe.

Pipe price sounds about right for custom made stuff.

Batfink
OMG :D No wonder lots of people never get round to fitting their dry sump system and selling the bits on

It's why I bought mine secondhand with the hoses. My hoses cost the previous owner £400!

Its shocking just how much a proper dry sump kit costs with the added extras

Jonmurgie
Its shocking just how much a proper dry sump kit costs with the added extras

Totally, you see the price of the 'kit' from Pace at £690 + VAT and think "OK, that's not toooooo bad" but then you realise you have to buy a dry sump tank, catch tank, oil cooler (if you don't have one already) and all the pipework/fittings and that's gonna be at least the same again if not more!

Still, should stop it blowing up... at least from oil starvation!

Batfink

yeah you can still blow it up due to your driving :D

The kit i bought had been repaired when a rod went out through the bottom!

phatgti

Ah the wonders of a mis shift, brings back fond memories of 4th to 3rd instead of 4th to 5th.

Getting good at repairing engines now :D

Rob Thomson
That is the correct way to strap a car to a trailer, your try to stop backwards/forwards movement, not up and down.

But what about sideways movement? Coefficient of friction between rubber and steel isn't all that good - pulling the tyres into the deck stops the car moving sideways. And anyway, if the loop's below the centre it's far more likely to come loose because the tension's pulling it away from the widest part. Also, what about brake pipes etc? Put the loop too low and who knows what it might f*** up.

I've always been told to put the loop above the centre-line of the tyre, and that makes perfect sense to me. I've never seen one strapped like Jon's...

PS. Nice work Jon - I'll have to pop over for a butchers...

phatgti

hency why i use the straps and ratchet hooks, goes through the wheel and pulls down and fowards/backwards.

Jonmurgie

I used to use the loger straps but Litfield Imports changed to those wheel ones which I don't personally like as they are a pain to fit and as you say there is mixed views on how best to have them fitted and they 'can/do' fall off!

Might just get myself a pair of straps to use for myself when borrowing the trailor next time :D

Dream Weaver

£620, sweet jesus!!! :D

phatgti

Make sure one of the straps is long so you can go through both wheels at the rear.

smckeown

never seen this before, but this pic is taken from the brian james site..neat idea

a_0002.jpg

I'll have a chat to them when i pick my trailer up sat

jonnie205

oh dear, its turned into a topic about strapping cars on trailers......

lol

Jonmurgie

LOL, always the fun thing about these long running threads... they have 'mini threads' tucked up in them ;)

So Jonnie, how do you strap your cars to trailers? ;)

smckeown
;) i was thinking about the 'through the wheels' option as pictured, surely that could easily knock the toe out ? I defo think someone's winding you up over the 'straps lower half of the wheel' Jon. Who have you been pissin orf now then ;) It doesn't make any sense to me

Batfink

why are you all talking about big strap ons?

boombang

We go over a tyre front right and rear left then another strap round the beam and another round the front passenger wisbone.

Never had a problem with a car moving at all.

Jonmurgie

Was a bit lazy over the weekend and did NOTHING on the car :)

Still, Adam was only too happy to help with painting the interior today...

Before

piperun17.jpg

After

piperun18.jpg

and a special thanks goes to Adam for doing it!

piperun19.jpg

More pics here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp

smckeown
and a special thanks goes to Adam for doing it!

piperun19.jpg

thanking him ? eh ? look at the bulkhead, he hasn't even started :)

oh yeah, another post on the trailer sub-thread... According to brianjames, the major weight component of the car being transported (i.e. the engine) should be as far forward as possible. So not centering the car with the trailer wheels as most people think

philfingers

definately want the weight forward, just 4-6" can make all the difference between nice and stable and weaving instability. The AA was to have the straps above the wheel centre, then they can't come loose. Problem with running straps through wheels is it can rub the paint, fine on your grasstrack special but maybe not the thing on your pristine race/ track car. And very good it looks too BTW Jon!

Jonmurgie

That is a nice trailer you've bought there Sean... funny thing is it no doubt cost more than most people have bought/spent on their 205's :)

smckeown

most things people buy in life cost more than some poeple on here spent on their car..good luck to them :)

base-1
Didn't have any problems with the straps on the trailer at all.. was told to have them just below half way down the wheel?!

That's the best of the best stuff you can get though, Goodridge 200 Series Hose with lightweight fittings :lol:

Those straps are not right at all, as said they should be at the top of the wheel.

200 is definitely not the best of the best, I can't think of anything lower that Goodridge do that you could use for this. The best would be 811 or 910, and obviously it's all comparable/identical to Earl's etc equivalents.

Jonmurgie

Thanks for the kind words Base-1 :lol:

I used the trailer again today, fitted the straps the same was I always have and had no problem again :)

I can see there are the 910 series hoses... I wonder how much they are then if the lowly 200 series is £39 + VAT a meter in -12 fitment?!