• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

[track_prep] Mi16 Track Car - Going Back Together!

Rik

Your gonna boil in the summer with black!

Are you keeping the heating / blower system?

As i saw in a previous post you made the matrix obsolete... Is that right?

Rik

Jonmurgie

The interior has been painted black for 2 years, not had any problems :(

Heater has gone along with all the pipes/wires that go with that... heated windscreen is on the cards but not got the £££ for that yet so for now it will be one of those electric screen demisters that kit cars use!

Started fitting the plumbed in fire extinguisher tonight... hope I never have to use it ;)

Jonmurgie

Drilled more holes last night... looked at how to fit the brake bias valve, not straight forward it seems, and by that I mean how the heck are you supposed to actually FIX the valve to the body?!

piperun9.jpg

Also started to fit the fire extinguisher, due to the bottle size it's having to go where it's pictured, poor passenger won't have much room with that and the oil pipes running the other side!

piperun10.jpg

Nozzles have been positioned in the engine page at opposite corners for maximum coverage...

piperun11.jpg

More pics here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp

smckeown

wouldn't you want adjacent corners to provide good coverage for the back/manifold area ? how many nozzles are there ?

Not selling up then :P

Jonmurgie

The fitting guide suggests one up front pointing backwards and one at the back pointing forwards... I might angle the rear one a little more towards the manifold but the stuff goes everywhere so with the bonnet on I'm sure it would smoother any flames wherever they are :P

Not selling up (yet)... soldiering on!

TonyGTI
Drilled more holes last night... looked at how to fit the brake bias valve, not straight forward it seems, and by that I mean how the heck are you supposed to actually FIX the valve to the body?!

Hi,

I fitted one of these to mine recently fitted it between handbrake and drivers seat on an angled bracket so I can reach it strapped in. Just make sure you get the in and out the right way round!!

With the heater junked have you had any issues with misting up?

Tony

Garry

With regards to mounting the valve Dixon did this:

(Hope the link works :P )

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...9145&hl=wilwood

I have a similar arrangement on mine that 205parts did for me.

Jonmurgie

Tony, got a pic of your bais valve fitted?

No idea about the misting up yet as the car hasn't been driven since March :P Though I'm sure it will and I'm probably going to use one of these until I get a proper screen sorted out: http://www.nfauto.co.uk/demist.htm

smckeown

you have to have the ability to de-mist the screen for MOT purposes, plus with the summe rover, you'd be mad to drive the car without this ability

Jonmurgie

Garry... perfect mate, many thanks!!

DSCN8098sm.jpg

I will be running an demister until I get a heated screen... you gone heated screen again Sean or kept the heater?

smckeown

I have a simlar bracket for mounting the bias and extinguisher

I went heated screen again, went out of my way to get the car as light as possible. Hopefully have it weighed in the same place when i get the car back on the 8th. I have suspicions with the extreme cage I have I wont be getting anywhere near 750kgs. I suppose the ultra stiff chassis makes up for it

Jonmurgie

Where did you get the screen from and how much? :P

Dream Weaver

Nice touch with the fire nozzle mountings :ph34r:

I started trying to fit my Lifeline a while back but gave up when it wouldn't fit in anywhere, and I couldn't find a mount point for the cable pull things. :)

I'll try fitting it again at some point, they are a bit too long :D

Rik

I'll post some pics of mine up later Jon, i've just fabbed up a bracket for one similar to yours (twisty) its a sort of upside u-shape with two holes in it. - it will be welded on.

I had mega trouble getting the correct brake line fixings for it, have you sourced yours yet?

Rik

Garry

Rally design supplied the fittings for mine, I think they are differnet sizesbecause the Willwood kit comes from the states.

TonyGTI
Tony, got a pic of your bais valve fitted?

No idea about the misting up yet as the car hasn't been driven since March :) Though I'm sure it will and I'm probably going to use one of these until I get a proper screen sorted out: http://www.nfauto.co.uk/demist.htm

Jon,

Just been out and taken a couple of piccies but never tried to upload to this forum , so if you want to PM me I will email to you.

Tony

Sandy
you have to have the ability to de-mist the screen for MOT purposes, plus with the summe rover, you'd be mad to drive the car without this ability

Sorry to be pedantic (not that sorry really), but the demisting facility is an SVA requirement, but is not part of the MOT test.

309PUG

If you ever want to compete in your car which you may do, I am pretty sure you have to have one of the extinguisher nozzels pointing down in the drivers footwell according to the MSA blue book.

Chris

Jonmurgie

Cheers for the advice guys... made up a neat little bracket for the bias valve just like in the above picture and it's perfect <_<

I'll be getting all my brake fittings from Merlin Motorsort as they have everything on the shelf, including stuff to match up with the US thread of the wilwood calipers and bais valve.

Chris, in the fitting instructions it shows a nozzle aimed at the drivers feet but that is for a bigger and more expensive kit that what I have... I won't be competing in THIS car so it isn't an issue :)

boombang

That won't mean that the car doesn't catch fire though?

Rally boys I know (and me!) "aim" nozzle 1 at the brake fluid reservoir and fuel filter + rail; nozzle 2 at the top of the engine from the battery side; nozzle 3 sideways so sprays drivers legs + up into dash.

If you have only 2 nozzles maybe be worth putting on one the servo side pointing over the brake fluid and fuel area, then the second under the dash to protect you - extra important as you won't be in protective gear I assume.

Bear in mind too that AFFF is basically soapy water - it can control a fire but often isn't enough to put it out. If a fuel hose came off or the brake reservoir pulls out of the master cylinder then AFFF may not be enough.

Could be useful to carry a foam one in the car or a gas one.

Halon is banned for rallying but works (causes respiritary problems upon exposure, which IMHO is better than someone burning up). Maybe you can grab one of these from someone who's switched over to AFFF or 360 foam?

Other built tip relating to above - very big cable tie round the brake fluid reservoir to hold it to the m/s is well worth it - they have a habit of popping off and causing big fires.

Edited by boombang

Jonmurgie

Cheers for the adivce there Boomban :lol: I have a hand held extinguisher that will also be in the car. I never ran with a plumbed in one before so I guess having the 2 nozzles is going to be better then none?!

Moving on, the extinguisher is now fitted here:

piperun12.jpg

and thanks to the advice/pics on here I made a bracket for the bias valve here:

piperun13.jpg

More updates here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp (and I've changed the way the images are viewed, much nicer now so go take a look!)

smckeown

looks like when SGR fitted mine, they didn't fit the 2nd (bottom) strap. I guess if your in a hurry 1 strap is better than 2, as long as that secures it enough

underdash_wiring_web.jpg

Edited by smckeown

jackherer
Other built tip relating to above - very big cable tie round the brake fluid reservoir to hold it to the m/s is well worth it - they have a habit of popping off and causing big fires.

I agree with that, and as an aside I bought a brand new Bendix master cylinder from GSF for my mates 205 XS the other day and it actually had a big cable tie in the box for that purpose which surprised me!

Rob Thomson

I think the third nozzle is a requirement for some forms of racing, but isn't for rallying. I certainly only have two in the 106.

The MSA changed the requirements for extinguisher straps a couple of years ago; you must have two. Obviously if you're not actually competing that doesn't matter, but I don't suppose they'd have introduced a regualtion which slows the process of extinguishing a fire unless they had good reason (ie. there was evidence that they come loose in accidents and twat people around the head).

AFFF is absolutely useless. It might give you a few extra seconds to get out of a burning car, but that's about all. Don't expect it to extinguish any well established fire.

jonnie205

LoL, agree, im afriad AFFF is not much good. The old style Halon was the way to go but it makes big holes in the atmosphere so its been banned a while now.

The trick with the straps around hand helds is a small ty-rap around each catch. Easily broken when needed, but will never come un-done when you dont want it to.

Once you've built a few rally cars you soon learn these things!